DVD video/movie on screen in fusion hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default DVD video/movie on screen in fusion hybrid?

So I was wondering if anyone that has a FFH with the nav system has put in a regular DVD movie and had it play on the screen. The specs say it is "capable" of reading a DVD but of course that does not mean it would. And I am sure it won't allow that while in motion. Also how restricted is the touch screen while in motion? IE: can you enter an address while moving or do you have to use sync? thanks!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DVD video/movie on screen in fusion hybrid?

I would expect the DVD functionality to be similar to that of the 2009 Escape Hybrid NAVI. You may have better luck getting the information your looking for from one of those owners since there aren't many FFH owners around just yet.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
So I was wondering if anyone that has a FFH with the nav system has put in a regular DVD movie and had it play on the screen. The specs say it is "capable" of reading a DVD but of course that does not mean it would. And I am sure it won't allow that while in motion. Also how restricted is the touch screen while in motion? IE: can you enter an address while moving or do you have to use sync? thanks!
My wife and I just got our Fusion last night (a 502 spec, dark gray with black interior),
so we don't have too much experience with it yet. However, we do know that the Nav system will play a DVD movie! We never even thought about it before we bought the car, but the salesman mentioned it so we had to try it.

You only get video when the car is in Park; when it's not in park you just get audio. This was actually a bit weird, since my wife put the disc in after we were moving just to see what would happen and what we got was the very annoying looping sound from the title menu! We were able to play around with some of the console buttons to make a selection, but it was done completely blind.

After we got back home, we sat in the driveway for a bit and tried it out. The video quality seemed pretty good overall, and the surround sound worked well in the car. Navigating through the disc was a little weird and the menus aren't super-attractive, but they get the job done.

I really can't say when we'll ever really use this again, but it is kind-of a cool bonus.

Steve

Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for checking! thats cool. How is the music in the car? Do you know if it has a subwoofer? I have been trying to find out weather it does or not. It says 12 speakers but i was not sure if it had one like the FEH with the audiophile system does.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I went out tonight and tried out a few things in the car: Sirius radio, MP3s on a CD and my wifes iPod and everything sounded pretty good if not great. Changing the forward/rear balance a little closer to the rear of the car made it sound better to me, but I'm not sure if that's just because I had to move the seat back (I'm 6'1", but my wife is 5'4"), or just because I like it more like that (I've done that in all my cars).

I looked around in the owner's manual to see if it mentioned what came with the 12-speaker Sony stereo update, but I couldn't see anything that specifically mentioned a Subwoofer, but there seemed to be something in the middle of the rear shelf of the car between the left and right speakers. So I assume it's got something there, and according to newcars.com., it should have two subwoofers: "An optional Sony Sound System features Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, 390 watts and 12 speakers with two subwoofers giving you optimal sound performance."

Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

So I'm not sure what kind of music you listen to but does it sound like to you that there is "good low end" I think I am just going to have to run over to my dealer and sit in the car for a few minutes and listen to see how it sounds. In the accessories that are available to the fusion one is a blaupunkt subwoofer. I wonder where they would put that. Anyway keep us informed of how you like it and so on. I'm jealous you have yours! I got like 8 weeks to wait or so.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

Well, my wife let me drive the Fusion to work on Earth Day and I was able to listen to some music while I drove. I burned a DVD-RW full of mp3s and the car was more than happy to read it and play them...for me it's definetely the way to go, since I don't have an iPod and with sticking a single disc in the player you can swap out more music than you could listen to for months! Much better than sticking CD after CD into the system and waiting for it it `record' them.

Anyway...during lunch when I was showing off the car, a co-worker had turned up the bass a bit and when I was driving home the disc hit some music with a little more low-end bass (some Aphex Twin), and the side mirrors started shaking! I had to turn the bass down to neutral and turn the volume down before they quieted down and I didn't feel so conspicuous... So I think I'd say that it does pretty well. =)

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice! Well I am so looking forward to getting mine. Glad you are enjoying it.