Yukon Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Yukon Hybrid

one of the things to consider in the gm system is they can tow heavy loads that our eCVTs cannot.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Terry, I don't understand why you are only getting 30 MPG on the highway. Do you always drive 80 MPH or something?

At 60 MPH I routinely get about 40 MPG.
And 60 MPH is the max. speed they use for "rating" the hwy rating. At least before 2007 that is what they used.

If you drive fast in the GMC, you are going to get mid-teens for MPG.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Then you would not be able to climb the hill and maintain speed, which is what a cruise control does and the average customer expects.
I don't think that the ICE is that underpowered. If the ICE crankshaft was "locked" (RPM wise) to the driveshaft, the ICE should be able to still maintain speed climbing up a hill. It would be just that the RPM of the ICE would not change (as long as one's speed didn't change).

Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 PM
N/A

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Terry, I don't understand why you are only getting 30 MPG on the highway. Do you always drive 80 miles per hour or something?

And 60 MPH is the max. speed they use for "rating" the hwy rating. At least before 2007 that is what they used.

If you drive fast in the GMC, you are going to get mid-teens for MPG.
I'm not a big hypermiler. While I definitely strive to get good mileage, I personally won't hold up traffic on interstates. So I will not go below 40 MPH on the steepest I-70 climbs, which is what really happens, in the real world in my actual 2008 4WD FEH, if I don't exceed 2500 RPM. I'm sure my mileage suffers accordingly.

My mileage is very close to the new 2008 estimates. I get about 2 MPG better. Same goes for the other cars we own or have recently owned: All are almost identical in the real world to their 2008 estimates.

The only place near me (Denver) that allows distance driving on flat ground at a steady 60 MPH without impeding traffic is the "back way" from Denver to Cheyenne, Wyoming, Hyw 85. The limit is 65 but it's a 4 lane and I get about 35 MPG there if I keep it around 60.

Then again, my 2006 Legacy wagon and the Buick get 32-34 on that drive, and that's going 65.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman
I'm not a big hypermiler.

Then again, my 2006 Legacy wagon and the Buick get 32-34 on that drive, and that's going 65.
That would be a 4 cylinder Subaru. Both of these vehicle present a smaller frontal area than the "boxy" Escape. Thus at higher speeds (highway), the Escape suffers. Weight also plays a significant role in gas milage with the Hybrid heavier than the stock 4 cylinder Subaru. Then there is the individual driver factor. The Escape Hybrid has a drive by wire throttle and is more sensitive than the other vehicles. Thus, a different driver in the vehicle may post significantly improved figures. Of course the opposite could be true.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
one of the things to consider in the gm system is they can tow heavy loads that our eCVTs cannot.
Toyota uses the same system and the Highlander is rated for 3500 lbs.

I don't see a reason why the Ford/Toyota systems can't scale.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Terry, I don't understand why you are only getting 30 MPG on the highway. Do you always drive 80 miles per hour or something?

I drive at 60-65 MPH on the highway (really pisses off the old ladies in the AMC Pacers on their way to tomorrow's bingo game). I keep it steady, and I don't use the cruse control.

If traffic is light, I will allow the speed to drop down to 50-55 MPH on long, steep, climbs. But then again, if traffic is light, I will allow it to simply coast back down on the other side even if that, again, means I do just 50-55 MPH.

Temps have been in the 60's and 70's. So, really no A/C and the vents are enough (no open windows).

I have yet to ever get more than 34.5 MPG. More typically I get around 32.5 MPG.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I drive at 60-65 miles per hour on the highway (really pisses off the old ladies in the AMC Pacers on their way to tomorrow's bingo game). I keep it steady, and I don't use the cruse control.

If traffic is light, I will allow the speed to drop down to 50-55 MPH on long, steep, climbs. But then again, if traffic is light, I will allow it to simply coast back down on the other side even if that, again, means I do just 50-55 MPH.

Temps have been in the 60's and 70's. So, really no A/C and the vents are enough (no open windows).

I have yet to ever get more than 34.5 MPG. More typically I get around 32.5 MPG.
This sounds exactly like me. I drive the same way & get virtually the same mpg in my 4WD 06 FEH.

~John

Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Whoa there! 40 MPH on I70?!?!? How do you keep from getting run over by fully loaded semis? I keep my 2005 at or above 55 MPH. MPG is about 25 MPG from Denver to the tunnel, and about 125 MPG from the tunnel to Denver. Sure, I don't cringe when heavy ski traffic slows me down, but I always keep up with the flow in the right lane. 40 MPH is too slow for that highway! ( unless it is snowing at the time )

25 MPG x 40 miles ( rounding ) = 1.6 gallons used uphill.
125 MPG x 40 miles = 0.32 gallons used on the downhill.

80 miles from 1.92 gallons = 41.66 MPG at 55-65 MPH.

This is why I've said for 2 years, HILLS ARE AN ADVANTAGE!!!
( And the FEH, FWD anyhow, does great on the highway )

-John

Originally Posted by mtberman
I'm not a big hypermiler. While I definitely strive to get good mileage, I personally won't hold up traffic on interstates. So I will not go below 40 miles per hour on the steepest I-70 climbs, which is what really happens, in the real world in my actual 2008 4WD FEH, if I don't exceed 2500 RPM. I'm sure my mileage suffers accordingly.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
SPL

n8kwx — I believe that Toyota does not use the same system as GM in its Highlander Hybrid. Toyota's is not a 2-mode hybrid. Read Miller's paper attached to my post #23.

Stan

Quick Reply: Yukon Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands