"Xterra-like" roof rack for Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default "Xterra-like" roof rack for Escape?

I have seen "Xterra-like" roof racks (but labeled "Escape") on Ford Escapes parked in parking lots that I think look really nice, but have been unable to determine who manufactured them or is offering them. Does anyone know who is offering them for sale? Thanks!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Xterra-like" roof rack for Escape?

You are referring to the Ford "No Boundaries" Roof Rack

escapenoboundariesrackLargee-mailvi.jpg?t=1215972404

XLT No Boundaries™ Package. Includes: No Boundaries™ Rack System, 16" Painted aluminum wheels, P235/70R16 A/T OWL tires, molded-in-color grey wheellip moldings, black step bars, front and rear appearance skid plates, Class II Trailer Towing Package and unique premium cloth trim

this was not available for the hybrid version but---you might be able to order and install just this item.

Thule and Rola Racks have alternatives--see this link(s):
http://www.rola.com.au/rola/dealer/

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=695

Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's kind of funny, when I ordered my FEH, it ended up being built for me, as no one had one with only the options I wanted. Due to that, I got a call that I'd get a 2006 rather then a 2005. The first '06 I saw had that No Boundries package, and I freaked out a bit, because I thought that's what the '06 standard roof rack looked like, and I thought it was rather ugly.

Then I found out about the No Boundries, my '06 came in, and the rest is history.

Back on On Topic, yeah, you should have no trouble getting it installed if you want it, though since the Escape model has changed, you may need to do a dealer inventory search or somesuch to find one to match an older model Escape.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Feral Engineer

I leased an Escape with one of these racks a few years back. It has a hinged part that folds down and latches onto the rear bumper, which is unique for this rack. You might be able to find one off a crashed vehicle and get the whole system cheaper than buying new through a dealer. I believe most "auto recyclers" can do a search for the part.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There were some folks on the Escape-Central website looking into this when they came out. As I recall, the No Boundaries rack parts were over $600 and it wouldn't be a straight bolt-on mounting. In addition, the manufacturer did not make them for an aftermarket supplier. More details should still be on that site.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you! That's the one. ACT

Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

The "no boundaries" rack isn't available on the FEH. The rack is rather versatile though. It slides back and then hinges down and snaps into the rear bumper. So, as an example, a pair of bikes could ride behind the car instead of on the roof where it would have a lot of wind resistance.... very fuel efficient.

When I looked into purchasing it separately (e.g. in the same way it could be done if I owned one and it was damaged and I needed a replacement part), but that's when I found out that it's not *just* the rack, it's also a different rear bumper. That's when I decided it was getting to be too much and gave up (and installed a receiver hitch and ordered a bike rack that slides into the receiver hitch.)