wrench in dash keeps coming on i 05 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: wrench in dash keeps coming on i 05 FEH

Regarding the FEH Wrench Problem:
I wanted to let you all know of a permanent fix that I came up with for this problem. The blend door actuator which is located in the drivers side rear quarter underneath the filter is a very common intermittent problem that makes the wrench appear. The most common reason why most people are getting this wrench is due to the design of the blend door actuator. The electrical connections for the blend door motor are a friction-type of connection. The two posts for the motor slide into posts that allow for slight movement of the motor. I assume to prevent binding. The problem is that the posts do not make a good connection for the motor. If you hit any bump at all, even if you don't notice the movement, the motor can briefly lose contact with the terminal. This is all it takes for the wrench to come on, and it will not go out until the ignition has been shut off and turned back on.
Solution: You have to solder two small pieces of wire from the bottom of the posts on the PCB to the ends of the relative terminals on the motor. Put the motor back into the posts the same way it came out. No more problem with the wrench. I have done this on both of my FEH's, a 2005 and a 2007. Both of them had the wrench problem and this took care of the problem on both. It has been over two years on the 2005, and just over a year on the 2007.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by MrFixit1328
Regarding the FEH Wrench Problem:
I wanted to let you all know of a permanent fix that I came up with for this problem. .......

Outstanding work! I doubt that even the engineers at Ford understand this issue to your level, or they wouldn't have used the same crumby design for multiple years. And I say that as a retired Ford engineer.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
Outstanding work! I doubt that even the engineers at Ford understand this issue to your level, or they wouldn't have used the same crumby design for multiple years. And I say that as a retired Ford engineer.
Thank you for that, Travelover. I was reading this and thinking how nice it was to have someone say something like this. Then I read the last line, and now I can't get this smile off my face.
You made my day.