Who has had the most non-routine repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Un-Enthusiast
Default Re: Who has had the most non-routine repairs?

yes

Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
2005 FEH 4x4, purchased in April, 2005. Now has 78,000 miles.

Can anyone top this?

My list (pulled from receipts, sorry if terminolgy bad):

7/26/2006 replace throttle body and motor - covered by warranty
Spring 2008 - recharge A/C (added dye to see if leaks) - ~$150.00 (John Lance Ford)
7/10/2008 - hey, it leaks! replace AC Condenser, O rings, recharge - $735.83 (John Lance Ford)
2/20/2009 - diagnostic (Catalyst Monitor Sensor bad (not done)), reprogram PCM - $87.60 (Mike Bass Ford)
4/28/2009 - replace Catalyst Monitor Sensor - $190.91 (Mike Bass Ford)
5/1/2009 - replace MECS Pump (Coolant for battery) - $667.70 (Ricart Automotive)
7/21/2009 - replace ABS Exciter Ring - $360.08 (Mike Bass Ford)
7/28/2009 - ? battery temp too high, in shop, what next... - $???.??

Last 18 months non-standard costs : $2,192.12

Also had front and rear brakes and rotors and 4 new tires this year, ($1,138.85)
I'm curious why the 5/1/2009 was not covered under the warranty and why the 4/28/2009 wasn't either. Aren't both drivetrain items in terms of the hybrid drive? I thought the FEH has like a 100K warranty on hybrid items (I would think battery collant is that for sure, not sure about the sensor).

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Un-Enthusiast

I will be curious on anyone's response too.

Today they figured out the cooling fans in the battery were not working and those parts are under warranty. Not sure what labor/diagnostic charges to expect, though.

Why the fans and not the pump for warranty? The sensor is exhaust related, no? So no warranty there.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

There should be no labor or diagnostic charges for an item under warranty. They need to fix it for free. I think the pump was under warranty but they charged you for it anyway... no sure though. Need the other posters here to chime in.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Un-Enthusiast

I the pump was under warranty, I need to know. This Columbus, Ohio dealer may have screwed me

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are three specific hybrid components that are covered under the hybrid portion of the warranty: battery pack, DC to DC converter and eCVT transmission.

Going off what others have had to pay for in other threads, it seems that Ford considers the battery pack to be anything inside the big aluminum case in the cargo area floor. The eCVT coverage is pretty straight forward as it also is one big case located on the drivers side of the engine. The DC to DC converter is also a solid piece located under hood on the passenger side forward of the strut tower.

Ford does not mention AC or external (to the battery pack) actuators/door motors, and others have had to pay for repairs regarding these components.

I'd say, if it's not in one of the three cases mentioned above, covered by some other warranty (like the 3yr/36,000mi bumper-to-bumper), or part of a recall (or TSB with specific wording like "at owners request"), you're probably going to be paying to fix it.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slampro
I would seriously do some lengthy research before buying one of these plans. From what I have seen most of them are scams, ran by the same company with different sub companies as the front.
Why not just buy one of the Ford plans?
Yes, I believe that I should buy the Premium Ford Extended Warranty Plan (or called ESP plan). ... For the best one,
Ford ESP PremiumCare 7 year/ 100,000 miles,
it costs 1,745 for $0 deductible, down to $1,130 for $200 deductable at http://www.myfordwarranty.com/

Just the cost of several repairs on my 2009 FEH during the 4 years after the 3 year warranty ends would pay for that. Looking back, I should have bought one of these for my old (cash-for-clunkers trade-in) 1991 Ford Explorer.

What do you all think about buying an extended warranty plan? Has it paid off for anyone for any of your cars?

Last edited by GeoMike; 07-30-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: edit prices
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Who has had the most non-routine repairs?

Originally Posted by GeoMike
What do you all think about buying an extended warranty plan? Has it paid off for anyone for any of your cars?
Got one for my 2001 Focus after the second time they replaced my rear power window. it was worth it. Something like 500$ both times. And a few other smaller things. I made out ahead.

As far as repairs for my 09 FEH, I had to get the phone module replaced. McCoy & Mills ford in Fullerton had it done in one day and it's worked great ever since. They also, diff visit, instaled my "Ver 2" SYNC for half the price everyone else quoted me. 48$ total.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have tons of them needed on my 2008. Door handle works poorly on the left rear, passenger door thing that catched the door half-way doesn't work, wrench light comes on for no reason, etc. I was too busy to get it in before I hit 36k, so I'll just live with it. Not real impressed with the build quality

Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Un-Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
There should be no labor or diagnostic charges for an item under warranty. They need to fix it for free. I think the pump was under warranty but they charged you for it anyway... no sure though. Need the other posters here to chime in.
OK, the fans were replaced under warranty today. However, they just told me the bill was $75 plus tax. Diagnostic fee. They went on to claim there was another code they had to look into also. One that went away and did not come back, by the way. (allegedly) After dealershoip management, who can I file a grievance with since I believe they are ripping me off.

I brought the car in for one problem, an overheating battery. The repair was covered by warranty. Can they really charge me $75?

Quick Reply: Who has had the most non-routine repairs?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands