What happens if I don't drive my hybrid for 4 months?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation What happens if I don't drive my hybrid for 4 months?

I will be travelling this winter for about 4 months and will leave my FEH AWD in outside storage, with temps sometimes dropping below 0 degrees F. Is it a problem if it is not driven or even started during this time? No one at Ford can give me an answer. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: What happens if I don't drive my hybrid for 4 months?

4 months is probably on the verge of having problems if the battery had some age on it, but when the car is new, I think it will be fine.

Before you leave, make sure you run the car in park at its destination, if possible for 5-10 minutes. This will put the maximum charge possible into the batteries.

Under the carpet in the back is an orange disconnect ****. This is a disconnect a mechanic might use to isolate the HV battery from the rest of the car when he's disassembling something. If you twist, then remove the orange ****, there is a position to reinsert the **** called "shipping" but is also used for long term storage of the battery.

The 12v under hood battery will behave just like any other 12v battery. It would be peace of mind to disconnect the black ( ground ) wire from the 12v battery, to keep the clock / radio / built-in computers from draining the battery at all... but is probably not required.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've always disconnected the positive, but technically there's little difference.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The difference is of a safety issue. You should always disconnect the negative ( black ) terminal first.

If you touch the negative terminal, and any other metal part of the car with a tool, or piece of metallic jewelery ( wedding band, metallic watch ) nothing will happen.

If you touch metal of the car with the battery cable removal tool, or metallic jewelery while touching the positive ( red ) terminal, you will instantly arc weld such a tool or jewelery, with body part attached, to the car, with up to 1000 "Cold Cranking Amps". ( Most people weld buildings with 50 to 150 amps )

A man at work was removing his tractor battery. He went for the positive side first, since it was easier to reach. He had a wrench on the positive terminal, and his hand, a good insulator, on the entire handle. He knew the risk, but figured his hand would protect the handle from accidentally touching the tractor frame. This would have been true, but he was wearing a gold wedding band. The wrench touched the positive terminal. The wrench touched his wedding band on the palm side. The wedding band, on the top of his hand, touched the frame when the bolt broke loose. Part of his gold band was welded to the tractor frame, with his finger inside. He got severe burns, and the deformity still shows on his ring finger 20 years later. The ring was nearly destroyed, he couldn't wear it ever again. He saved pieces, but pieces of gold band also went with the tractor when he sold it.

The battery won't care. But I think you should remove the negative side first.

-John

Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by gpsman1
..................................... The wrench touched the positive terminal. The wrench touched his wedding band on the palm side. The wedding band, on the top of his hand, touched the frame when the bolt broke loose. Part of his gold band was welded to the tractor frame, with his finger inside. He got severe burns, and the deformity still shows on his ring finger 20 years later. The ring was nearly destroyed, he couldn't wear it ever again. He saved pieces, but pieces of gold band also went with the tractor when he sold it.

The battery won't care. But I think you should remove the negative side first.

-John
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
I knew a guy who did the same thing with a watch band. I am sure he still has a scar!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The difference is of a safety issue. You should always disconnect the negative ( black ) terminal first.

I agree.

Otherwise...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would also re-charge the 12v battery upon returning (before reconnecting it), and then with a fully recharged 12v battery reconnected, do the built-in HV battery recharge (the button in the driver's side kick panel). Basically, trying to recharge both batteries before even attempting to turn the key.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses to my query about leaving my FEH parked for 4 months. All was useful information.