What do people think of Escape AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What do people think of Escape AWD?

I currently own a Prius. I am very happy with it, but it is a little small for my needs. What do people think of the Escape? Is it a good, reliable car, or just another sadly mediocre US effort?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What do people think of Escape AWD?

IMMHO the CX-7, were it available at the time, would have been a much more appropreate "target" for a Ford hybrid design, and remains so. In the meantime the newer/current Escape's F/awd system is only second, a distant second to be sure, to the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system. This system has now been adopted by Toyota and Lexus, the new Venza and the 2010 RX350.

If you need, REALLY need AWD capability then I would consider the SH-AWD system first, and then maybe the Mazda CX-7 second. If your daily drive is mostly highway then the FE gain for a hybrid vehicle will be marginal. In that case while the CX-7 is not yet hybridized I would suggest it over the HEAVIER Escape and you could always wire the turbo wastegate fully open and theseby get fairly decent FE. In the extreme you could wire the wastegate open and also mill the engine head to get a more standard DFI compression ratio for the CX-7 and maybe get close to the Escape hybrid F/awd for highway FE.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Well, the Escape has been around for a long time....and while it really needed the style upgrade that 2008 brought....the guts remain pretty much the same. The good thing is, those guts are pretty much time tested and reliable.

Gas mileage is pretty surprising for a heavy SUV. You won't get near a Prius, but depending on where you live and how you drive you might be able to get mid to upper 30mpg's.

I've got an 06 Mariner Hybrid AWD and have had no real troubles with it short of a water seal on the passenger door and a squeeky shock mount in the rear.

My driving is mostly short drives from cold starts in rush hour traffic in a major metropolitan area. In other words, the worst conditions for fuel economy. That said, my WORST tank in 3 years was an average of 22mpg and that was in January with temps in the teens and snow on the ground. My wife's car averages about 14mpg on the same drives in normal conditions. My best tanks approach 30mpg.

For my needs, this vehicle is perfect. If I lived in a semi rural or suburban area I would easily average in the 30's. When I spend time driving around Southern NJ I am always in the mid 30's.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Well, the Escape has been around for a long time....and while it really needed the style upgrade that 2008 brought....the guts remain pretty much the same. The good thing is, those guts are pretty much time tested and reliable.

Gas mileage is pretty surprising for a heavy SUV. You won't get near a Prius, but depending on where you live and how you drive you might be able to get mid to upper 30mpg's.

I've got an 06 Mariner Hybrid AWD and have had no real troubles with it short of a water seal on the passenger door and a squeeky shock mount in the rear.

My driving is mostly short drives from cold starts in rush hour traffic in a major metropolitan area.

In other words, the worst conditions for fuel economy.

No, for a hybrid vehicle of the current design, these are the BEST of conditions, the VERY BEST of conditions. To judge FE you must rate the hybrid system against, or in comparison to, a non hybrid vehicle in the same driving conditions and in the same overall class, weight, Cd, etc.

That said, my WORST tank in 3 years was an average of 22mpg and that was in January with temps in the teens and snow on the ground. My wife's car averages about 14mpg on the same drives in normal conditions. My best tanks approach 30mpg.

For my needs, this vehicle is perfect. If I lived in a semi rural or suburban area I would easily average in the 30's. When I spend time driving around Southern NJ I am always in the mid 30's.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

My FEHL is getting 35 mpg as of 8,000 miles. I drive 8 miles one way to work, five days a week. I love this SUV. I looked at other SUVs but this one fit me.... Take a look around you likey you buy.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
IMMHO the CX-7, were it available at the time, would have been a much more appropreate "target" for a Ford hybrid design, and remains so. In the meantime the newer/current Escape's F/awd system is only second, a distant second to be sure, to the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system. This system has now been adopted by Toyota and Lexus, the new Venza and the 2010 RX350.

If you need, REALLY need AWD capability then I would consider the SH-AWD system first, and then maybe the Mazda CX-7 second. If your daily drive is mostly highway then the FE gain for a hybrid vehicle will be marginal. In that case while the CX-7 is not yet hybridized I would suggest it over the HEAVIER Escape and you could always wire the turbo wastegate fully open and theseby get fairly decent FE. In the extreme you could wire the wastegate open and also mill the engine head to get a more standard DFI compression ratio for the CX-7 and maybe get close to the Escape hybrid F/awd for highway FE.
A correction is needed on this post.
The CX-7 AWD checks in at 3929 lbs via this link: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=CX7
This is HEAVIER than the Ford Escape Hybrid AWD which checks in at 3792 via this link: http://autos.aol.com/article/crossov...22121909990002

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
I currently own a Prius. I am very happy with it, but it is a little small for my needs. What do people think of the Escape? Is it a good, reliable car, or just another sadly mediocre US effort?
I'd be interested in your impressions after a test drive.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Consumer Reports just reviewed the Escape/Mariner. It is in fact a reliable car with many positive points. According to them the refinement is not quite up to the best in the class, but it is the most fuel efficient SUV they have ever tested.

Of course you can purchase a FEH or MMH for the same price (actually considerably less when considering the tax credit) as a gas powered competitor.

Also, the SYNC system is more useful than you would think.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 AM

We forgot to ask why AWD?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like mine, but can't say it's seen more than 5 inches of snow yet (except the little foot-high drift that accumulates in front of the garage ).

The 2009 is an inch lower and the little spoiler in the front (air dam) hangs down another 2-3 inches. No problems so far, but that is one of the fragile points to consider if off-roading, which this is not designed for.

Last edited by colchiro; 03-08-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: What do people think of Escape AWD?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands