What did you pay for your Mariner/Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default What did you pay for your Mariner/Escape?

Some (not all) dealerships in my area are asking over MSRP for the 08' Escape (08' Mariner isn't even available). The range is around $1,600 to $2,000 over MSRP (after doing some "haggling"). I've never paid over MSRP for any vehicle in my life. And I'm not about to do it now. So I've been wondering, how many of you have paid over MSRP? For those that didn't pay over MSRP did you pay at MSRP or less than MSRP? Just curious to see what others have been paying. I've never had this problem when I bought my Toyota Prius or Mini Cooper (they would just charge me MSRP minus available incentives). That's probably a contributing reason why US auto manufacturers are going into the gutter. The "car dealership stigma" thrives at Ford. The salesmen just tell me that if I don't buy it, someone else will walk in and buy it the next day.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What did you pay for your Mariner/Escape?

MSRP 28,420
Out the door, with $1045 in rebates, vin etching, getting payoff on tradein, 5yr ext warrenty, I paid like $28,400 I think??? that was 2 months ago!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Enthusiast

Bryan, Thanks for the response but what did you actually pay for the vehicle before all the misc items are taken into account? Some of the dealers here want a premium over MSRP because the vehicles are scarce.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tim,

hopefully this will be of some help.

In the last week of May we ordered our 08 FEH (2wd). The truck came in the first week of July. I ordered every available option except the block heater.

The top of the window sticker msrp was 25,075
after the options the msrp was 30,500
destination and delivery was 665
The bottom of the sticker was 31,165

With out using trade negotiating numbers to keep it basic, it came down to this

The dealership sold me the truck for 30,165
The factory rebate was two-fold
Customer cash was $545
Cash back from Ford was $500

Now, even though the Customer cash expired 07/02/07, the dealer honored our original agreement by taking the $545 off the price of the vehicle...
so,
the REAL MSRP 30,165
minus the 545
and the 500
made the price i paid 29,120.

Obviously there was sales tax and tag fees blah blah, but these numbers I have shared with you are the basic what I started with numbers. I think that is what you were asking for here.

Where are you located that they are starting the "market adjustment" crap again???
If you live in or near South Florida, this dealer will gladly order your unit- YOUR way.

best of luck on your purchase.

08FEH

Old 07-13-2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by tcjohnsson
Some (not all) dealerships in my area are asking over MSRP for the 08' Escape (08' Mariner isn't even available). The range is around $1,600 to $2,000 over MSRP (after doing some "haggling"). I've never paid over MSRP for any vehicle in my life.
Wow!

I paid X-plan. X-plan is just slightly under invoice. Plus with X-plan (or any of Ford's price discount plans), the dealer can't pad on any extras like an "advertising fee" or a "documentation fee". It is just the X-plan price plus tax plus state registration fees.

Find a Ford employee, and get an X-plan PIN from them. It is pretty easy. There are even websites which act like a "match maker" between employees with PINs, and potential buyers needing one. Ford encourages their employees to help sell vehicles. So it is actually a "plus" for them to give X-plan PINs out.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine should be coming in any day now, but I bought mine through the Costco auto program. Assuming the dealer doesn't try to change the game on me, I'm supposed to get it for dealer invoice cost. When I first tried to buy one "off the lot" with something they could get local on dealer trades, that's what they were offering me, but we couldn't find what I really wanted. We thought we had one, but it got sold out from underneath us, so I said "to heck with this" and just ordered one with everything that I really wanted.

In addition I was also getting the discounts at the time. So I was actually supposed to get it for $1,045 under dealer invoice. We'll see if he still honors the discounts I was getting at the time, but I should still at least get it for dealer invoice.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

We paid $25,416.98 out the door (with title tax (@3%) and tags). This was for a 08 FWD with the hybrid premium package in the Raleigh area.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 AM
N/A

$30375 MSRP. I don't have the numbers handy but IIRC it was approx $28650 Invoice and $28700 X-Plan (I'm eligible).

Long story short, it took a few weeks but I paid $28200. MSRP seemed high, given that $30,000 buys a lot of nice vehicles these days, so I made a low offer in early February and finally purchased 3/3 for $500 below X-Plan. No rebate.

It had been ordered as "fleet" by mistake and didn't appear on Ford's online inventory search. I think the dealer was concerned since it had been there 3+ weeks and shoppers were unaware of it unless they drove by and saw it like I did. I've been around car dealers for many years and am comfortable with the process, so my situation may be an exception.

Today in my area, Denver, online inventory shows only a few units. Most dealers that had 2-5 units a few weeks ago are now appearing sold out. Interesting.

Strangely enough, there is a white FWD unit w/no options appearing at one Denver area store. Another dealer has a white 4WD with the 110V power outlet and nothing else. FWD units and stripped down units are something we don't see very often here. Lean times to be buying.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Wow!

I paid X-plan. X-plan is just slightly under invoice. Plus with X-plan (or any of Ford's price discount plans), the dealer can't pad on any extras like an "advertising fee" or a "documentation fee". It is just the X-plan price plus tax plus state registration fees.

Find a Ford employee, and get an X-plan PIN from them. It is pretty easy. There are even websites which act like a "match maker" between employees with PINs, and potential buyers needing one. Ford encourages their employees to help sell vehicles. So it is actually a "plus" for them to give X-plan PINs out.
I also paid X-plan pricing minus the current incentive (545) through my employer. I had to jump through an extra hoop because we titled the car in my wife's name. The dealer had trouble getting X-plan pricing approval two days after I bought the car and they told us there had been a lot of abuse of the X-plan. I had to re-get a X-plan PIN in my wife's name and fax a copy of our marriage license as proof of our relationship. The other option was to drive back to the dealership and title the car in my name. I found the whole situation humorous because it was the first time in 25 years that I had to prove that my wife and I were indeed married.

Last edited by reneg; 07-13-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by tcjohnsson
Bryan, Thanks for the response but what did you actually pay for the vehicle before all the misc items are taken into account? Some of the dealers here want a premium over MSRP because the vehicles are scarce.
Unfortunatly I don't have a reciept for somereason, but vagely remember something about $26,6 maybe? After looking for a week at my local dealers with no luck, I started searching out of state. Found 2 dealers in Dallas that had the same vehicle (options/colors identical) called both and said I'm paying cash, what my best deal. Then said the other dealer said this, can you beat it? Did this 3-4 times until one said If they said that, buy it, I can't go that low, so I did!

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your Mariner/Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands