Washer Fluid - UhOh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Washer Fluid - UhOh?

Been 8 months since purchase, and I normally add fluid at least every 6. So I dump some fluid into that bottomeless pit of a tunnel, it just kept dissapearing, no leaks out the bottom! But it drank a whole gallon of fluid, no big deal until I start skimming the manual today for something else, the washer fluid capacity is 2.7 quarts! Now I'm questening I dummped it into the right place!?!

How much does everyone eles's drink? Whay no way to check the level, esp if we don't have a low warning?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
N/A
Default Re: Washer Fluid - UhOh?

A while back we were going to be driving a long way in snowy and possibly wet conditions with lots of splashback. There is often a need to run the washers every few miles so I decided to "top off" the fluid. I don't know how low it was, but it wasn't empty. It took nearly a gallon.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I refill mine ever 3 or 4 months and the capacity is definitely a little over a gallon. The correct fluid receptacle is usually marked with a logo of a windshield being sprayed and wiped. On mine it's in the font just to the left of the radiator and drops way down. The thing I don't like about that setup is that you can't tell how much you have left until you run out.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I know I'm a little goofy once in a while, but I'm positive i dumped it into a tank with the window logo thing on it. But like you said, it's sad the tank is kidden, no way to tell how empty it is
Glad to see 2.7quarts really means 4+ quarts, whew.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yeah... and your "15 gallon" gasoline tank really holds 17.5 gallons.

People want to know how I get 600 miles off 1 tank.
It's because sometimes I use that 2.5 gallons.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I thought it was 1.6 left once the MTE went to 0, or are you shaking the tank to get the air pocket out?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
I thought it was 1.6 left once the MTE went to 0, or are you shaking the tank to get the air pocket out?
MTE 0 = 13.7 used.

A 15 gallon fill is "nominal".
A 17.5 gallon fill is "possible" if you shake the air out, yes, you got it.

-John

Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
Thanks, I know I'm a little goofy once in a while, but I'm positive i dumped it into a tank with the window logo thing on it. But like you said, it's sad the tank is kidden, no way to tell how empty it is
Glad to see 2.7quarts really means 4+ quarts, whew.
Brian, last Saturday I took the complete front facia off my 08 FEH AWD to install a towing baseplate. Quite a job as it turned out. Back to the point, that's the only way to see the windshield washer tank in its entirety. I was shocked to see how big that tank is. The long neck is deceiving.

Bad news is, if the tank ever leaks, this whole front end has to come off to change it, but it is protected quite well.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

In California, windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze is no longer available. Everyone I talk to just adds pint of rubbing alcohol into the tank along with the washer fluid.

Any thoughts on a better solution?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidH
In California, windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze is no longer available....Any thoughts on a better solution?
Stupid question but isn't windshield washer fluid without anti-freeze or alcohol in it be nothing but blue water? What exactly do they sell out there?

My suggestion for a solution? Move east or north....it's over in CA.

Quick Reply: Washer Fluid - UhOh?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands