Warranty Question (Prius vs Escape)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Warranty Question (Prius vs Escape)

I was taking my Ranger in for routine service at our small town garage today. While there I asked my mechanic if he was comfortable doing routine maintenance for me on my hybrid. He said he was as he has a regular customer with a Prius. Then he told me a scary story...

That first gen Prius's computer died in 6 years. He described it as being a box 2-3 feet by 2-3 feet by (well he didn't gesticulate the height dimension...). The dealer could not repair it and it was a $13,000 dollar part!!! Lucky for him Toyota considered it part of the hybrid warranty and Japan shipped him a new computer. Would Ford see it that way for us too?

Cris

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warranty Question (Prius vs Escape)

I hope he was mis-remembering the number of zeroes in the cost of that part, because I can't imagine any mass produced car has a part that expensive.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Me too, but considering when my little tiny plastic cup holder that folded out of the center console broke --for a Chevy Lumina (this part fit in the palm of my hand) the Chevy dealer saw fit to charge me $65 for it, well I can almost believe it...

Cris

Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
I hope he was mis-remembering the number of zeroes in the cost of that part, because I can't imagine any mass produced car has a part that expensive.
I know that Ford plays the game with its suppliers.... sell us (Ford) the parts at cost, and then charge what ever you need to, to make all your profit off of the replacement parts.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

2 feet by 3 feet sounds like the battery pack. And 13k might be a little stretch for a battery pack but if it was an older prius a few years back maybe so.