Very low SOC in Morning and Difficulty re-charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Very low SOC in Morning and Difficulty re-charging

My 05 Escape has 110, 000 miles and twice in a week has had 20% SOC in the morning. Since the ICE speed when cold cannot be changed, it was a chore to drive it long enough to get a normal SOC, which it did after a couple of minutes. No indicator alarm or error code. Any ideas? I had the Air conditioner off when I stopped; think I saw a post that this could be an issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Very low SOC in Morning and Difficulty re-charging

Did you make any changes recently? (Alarm system, radio equip etc) Not sure if your setup works this way, but anything draining the 12v would cause the HV battery to compensate.
You might also want to check your 12v to make sure it has not expired...
Good Luck

Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can drain your hybrid battery SOC when the vehicle is turned off by opening and closing the doors on your vehicle, turning on the radio or other similar items. I have done this and brought my SOC down to the mid 20's range several years ago. I would first check your 12V battery and then check for anything that might be draining it and report back.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The key has to be in the ON position for the hybrid battery to supply door/radio/accessory power and thus cause of lowered SOC. The 12V battery is used to power the electronics when the switch is off.

I guess there could be a case where the relay(s) that activate the high voltage system/ DC to DC Converter might fail and keep the HV side active after the key is OFF? Otherwise a drastic drop in the SOC with the key OFF would have to be from within the battery pack.

As a test, you could get the SOC up to normal charge, turn off the key and then use the HV batter service disconnect (orange key on the pack) to manually disconnect the battery for the night. Then reactivate the key in the morning (or other long period of rest) and see if the SOC has dropped. The service disconnect should isolate the battery from all the other possible drains from outside the battery pack.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

Looks like the winner is the bad 12v battery. checked the level at sitting 2 days, 11.8v and 31% SOC. New battery installed so we will se. THANKS

Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My 2005 was built in December 2004.

I have the stock 12v battery. I park a lot.

Parking for 3 weeks at a time, my HV battery drops 4% per week.
My 12v battery is at 11.6 to 11.8 when I get home after 3 weeks.

Both are "normal" after a short drive.

NOTE:

I always park with 53% on the ScanGauge SOC meter.
After 3 weeks, it's usually about 41%.
After coming home from one business trip and finding the SG "glowing" ( backlight on ) I always disconnect it now when I park for more than a couple of days.

HTH,
-John

Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

My 12 v was cooked. At least 5 grams of copper sulphate on the anode post and the battery would not hold a charge. seems there was a crack in the battery. All seems fine now. First "problem"

Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

You're Welcome Steve,
Happy to help.