Updated XGAUGE info

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Updated XGAUGE info

I have discovered that some of the xgauges are not quite correct. The main ones are MxD and MxC, which I had listed as being in amps. The PID is, in fact, power with units of kW and scaling of .25. Delta module voltage is very slightly different, with a scaling of .0625 instead of the .0586 that I had. I have verified most of the other PIDs as being correct, but I haven't gone through all of them yet.

MxD and MxC: change MTH to 000500020000 and maybe NAM to DkW and CkW ?

MDV: change MTH to 001900040000

Others to follow, but no timetable just yet.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Updated XGAUGE info

Thanks for checking into the MDV after I posted my strange results.
I thought the math on that one was a little strange!

In the name, you can have a few charaters also, like arrows.
I'll probably use <--kW for "Kw input" and -->kW for "Kw output".

It tells us the same thing now with the new math, just new units.
So when it is cold out, we can see kW decrease in a linear relationship to temperature... which means, for all practical purposes, amps decrease in a linear relationship with temperature, since the voltage is relatively constant.

Speaking of voltage, do the rest of you notice that HVB voltage is 350v when crusing down the highway at steady speed, whether there is visible charging going on, or not? As soon as I come down the freeway ramp, voltage goes to 330 or 333v something like that.

So are we sure we are reading the actual battery? Or some bus voltage.
Like the amp vs. kW, not sure it really matters.

Also, MxC does not tell you the amount of regen allowed... just simply charging from any means combined. On snow & ice for example, you can have zero regen, and MxC of 45 at the same time.

-John

Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Updated XGAUGE info

Originally Posted by DesertDog
I have discovered that some of the xgauges are not quite correct. The main ones are MxD and MxC, which I had listed as being in amps. The PID is, in fact, power with units of kW and scaling of .25. Delta module voltage is very slightly different, with a scaling of .0625 instead of the .0586 that I had. I have verified most of the other PIDs as being correct, but I haven't gone through all of them yet.

Carl, thanks MUCH for the input. For many of us FEH/MMH owners w/o Nav, we rely heavily on SGII-xg for info. Much like a doctor's visit, we tend to belive what we see/hear is correct. So your feedback and corrections are most appreciated. I trust your relationship with Ron @ LL means you feed this back to him to correct his XGAUGE website? I'm not exactly familar with the heirachy, but however it works out, we appreciate

Not to chg the subject entirely, but related to SG intrepretation, I've posted several times abt wishing BTM were fixed for the 08 FEH AWD (maybe 2wd too?), and my wish still stands. However, Tav works fine for the 08 model year, and I guess if BTM were never resolved, I'd be happy to have Tav

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

gpsman1 — I'd expect that the high-voltage battery would indeed read significantly higher than its nominal voltage while it's accepting charge. This would be just like the 12-volt battery reading maybe 14.4 V while the car is running (i.e., charging), and ~12 V when the car is "off." It is also possible, as you suggest, that the voltage may not be monitored precisely at the battery terminals, but some distance away along the current-carrying wire. In this case, the resistance of this lead would cause the voltage to read high while charging, and low while discharging.

Stan

Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
gpsman1 — I'd expect that the high-voltage battery would indeed read significantly higher than its nominal voltage while it's accepting charge. This would be just like the 12-volt battery reading maybe 14.4 V while the car is running (i.e., charging), and ~12 V when the car is "off." It is also possible, as you suggest, that the voltage may not be monitored precisely at the battery terminals, but some distance away along the current-carrying wire. In this case, the resistance of this lead would cause the voltage to read high while charging, and low while discharging.

Stan
Sounds normal to me.... when you charge rechargeable batteries you have to apply voltage HIGHER than the nominal battery voltage... Its the only way to get current to flow IN after all. 4.8V NiMH packs tend to be charged at around 6V for alot of the charge cycle, and with no load they usually put out about 5-5.2. We use a 4.8V pack in the handheld instrument I helped design the power supply for at the company I'm at.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog

Hey y'all. First off, you all ROCK. I love lurking on this forum because I've learned so much even before I got to drive our school's 05 FEH AWD. It was a nice gift to our enviro club. I drove it today and managed 30 mpg RT and it's about 35 deg F here in Connecticut. I've got it the rest of the week and have been setting up xgauges like crazy.

In Desert Dog's post with the original list of codes, (link#7 in it's thread) I couldn't actually find the list of codes. It wasn't linked-to and it wasn't embedded. Others seemed to have found it a while back, but I'm assuming it's now being edited for accuracy. Is this right? If not, can someone shoot the doc to me: dkesler at salisburyschool.org ?? If it is being corrected and will reappear some time, I'll just wait patiently!

Thanks so much.

So I guess now I can introduce myself? I'm Drew, a physics teacher at a small boarding secondary school in rural Connecticut. I've got some experience with electric cars, but not hybrids. A while back we built and raced a solar car here, Pb-acid batteries totalling 10 kWh, a 160 W Solar wing, and won our event in the "Tour de Sol" both times we entered it. Anyone ever catch that coming through their town? Well, after that, they cancelled our event. We had all kinds of conspiracy theories going about it. HS kids love conspiracy theories! Then we snagged the last of Renaissance Motors electric roadsters when they filed for bankruptcy. We got that car rolling, though not well. Then we lost our garage and have been in limbo for a little while.

Anyway, I've got some FEH questions, and I'll start new threads for them if I can't find appropriate ones already in action.

Again, nice to be here and I look forward to when I can actually contribute something I know! I'll introduce myself again in other threads, so please don't feel like you need to give me a "hey welcome!" here unless you're replying anyway.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

OK! The image of the xgauge codes magically appeared in the other thread, so I'm set. Thanks DesertDog if you made that happen. -Drew