TPMS questons

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default TPMS questons

Hey all,

I have found out that the TPMS sensors in the FEHL are "smart" and transmit the tire presure to a RF receiver somewhere in the dash. The SJB (smart junction box) then determines whether or not to set of the TPMS warning light. This means that if we can find out the manufacturer and specs on the TPMS system that we can, probably cheaply, build something that would let us know the exact presure in each tire including our spare. I think this would come in handy for those of us to who dont wish to wait until our tires are down to 25.5 psi before the warning light goes off.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TPMS questons

Technicians can hook up the Ford IDS to the OBD II port and read all 5 tire presures. Could the SGII do the same?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was wondering if there was an xgauge setting for that. I suspect that would be one gauge for each tire.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have 2008 Escape hybrid, it had a donut spare tire, I replaced with full size spare with tpms unit. The ford tmps system only reads the 4 tires in use, not the spare. So when I rotate all 5 tires, I will get tpms failure alarms at times. The only fix at this time is to have ford reset the tpms for the 4 tires in use? On my 2006 Hummer H3, when I rotate 5 tires, I can reset the tpms system for the 4 tires in use.

I hope there will be a way for me to reset the tpms on the FEH? But I can live without tpms until then, as I dont want to take to Ford Dealer to reset tpms each time I rotate the tires.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiCap
I have 2008 Escape hybrid, it had a donut spare tire, I replaced with full size spare with tpms unit. The ford tmps system only reads the 4 tires in use, not the spare. So when I rotate all 5 tires, I will get tpms failure alarms at times. The only fix at this time is to have ford reset the tpms for the 4 tires in use? On my 2006 Hummer H3, when I rotate 5 tires, I can reset the tpms system for the 4 tires in use.

I hope there will be a way for me to reset the tpms on the FEH? But I can live without tpms until then, as I dont want to take to Ford Dealer to reset tpms each time I rotate the tires.
Have not checked to see if this works on our Escapes but it does work on the Explorer and the bigger gas guzzling Ford trucks.

Originally Posted by FTE
LINK
Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE"
Hope this helps

Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Step 1 to 6 work good, but the tire pressure sensor is not recognized. The tpms is not on the stem, but is wraped around the wheel on the Escape. I tried magnet all over wheel with no success. I let air-pressure out of tire per Hummer H3 instructions, but that also did not work.

Thanks for the information, I just need to find out how to get tps in wheel to talk back in train mode.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you sure this is for the FEH? From the manual for the '06 the TPMS is strapped around the inside of the rim and is nowhere near the valve stem... hence the magnet thing seems wrong.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

Are you sure this is for the FEH? From the manual for the '06 the TPMS is strapped around the inside of the rim and is nowhere near the valve stem... hence the magnet thing seems wrong.

I think you are right! The magnet works with the ford TPMS that are on the valve stem, but not with the escape TPMS mounted on the rim?

The Ford tool to train the TPMS sensors cost around $600.

I tried letting air out to see if TPMS could be reset like my Hummer H3, but it did not work.
"If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the senors will go into a sleep mode to conserve battery power"
I will try the air down again, this time not letting the vehicle set for more the 30 minutes, hope it works.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiCap
Are you sure this is for the FEH? F
Nope, wasn't sure, but for some reason I thought we hand stem sensors. Also tried it myself after I recovered from turkey overdose and it didn't work.
After re-reading the information I learned that the magnet only works on the stem TPMS.
The band style need to be activated in one of two ways immediately before training.
1. Drive vehicle over 20 MPH for more than two minutes.
2. Send an activation signal to the sensor via that $600 Ford tool. I have also seen some $9.95 things on ebay that say they will send the signal. eBay 1 $18.00 eBay 2 $5.00 eBay 3 $24.00

Here is the signal information that I got from ford-trucks.com:
TPMS valve sensors operate at either 315 MHz or 433.92 MHz. I don't know which of the two is the one Ford uses. But in order to read the sensors on demand, the sensors have to be activated by sending a 125 kHz LF signal (either continuous wave or modulated.)

I found this information on this site that sells the diagnostic tool for TPMS.
TPMS Dealer Tool & TPMS Dealer Tools from Bartec USA
It's under the section header, "How do TPMS service tools work?"

Last edited by twolostminds; 11-28-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added ebay links
Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 AM

The FEH uses the Lear banded TPMS with Motorcraft part # 6F2Z1A189A that retails for $80.80. The hardware/band 16" is motorcraft part # 6F2Z1A3C and retails for $67.73. To my knowledge the FEH can only flag one tire presure warning light when the PSI drops 14psi from the certified door sticker of 35psi. I know of no other monitors that can monitor the PSI in each tire on these type of sensors, but I'd be interested in one for the right price.

I got tired of burning up those small 12V tire pumps keeping my tires at 50psi, so I bought a 120V 150psi pump with a 13 gallon tank. This is a Sears unit and I can also run air tools with it. This has been great for my lawn tractor, boat trailer, bikes and my other two vehicles. For anyone that has the space, these would be good Xmas gifts.

GaryG

Quick Reply: TPMS questons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands