Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

Hi All,

Thinking to get an escape Hybrid (an 06 (new) or 07 model). Currently Driving a 2001 volvo T5.

What is your over experience with the Escape?
How is the maintenance?
Did the Hybrid meet you expectations?

Particulary of interest:
Problems areas.
How is the CVT?
How are dealers with hybrids? knowledgable?

Very interested to hear from those who have over 100,000km (around 60k miles)

Thanks!

Hopefully a future escape hybrid owner.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

Check my early impressions post of Jan 7, this year. I only have ~2500 miles but it is giving ~33 mpg in a mix of ~65% highway and ~35% suburban driving. It has been great so far

Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Caveat: I've "only" had my '06 Ford Escape Hybrid since early March 2006, so I'm around 7,350 miles on the odometer (purchased vehicle new with 72 miles to its name.)

Originally Posted by x95zsk
What is your over experience with the Escape?
Did the Hybrid meet you expectations?
My '06 Ford Escape Hybrid replaced my first car -- a 1992 Toyota Corolla (purchased new) -- which I reluctantly sold because a) while it ran great it was starting to show its age, b) I was starting to feel the lack of airbags and other "modern safety improvements" was not acceptable (drive on the roadways I do and you start to feel the same way!)

So, the FEH is my first new car in ages and my first small SUV. I had very high expectations for it, and spent well over half a year mulling over various vehicle types (including non-hybrids) and styles. We even rented a non-hybrid Ford Escape Limited for 10-days in D.C. and Virginia to get a feel for the general body style, ride, etc.

My '06 FEH has met and exceeded every expectation I had/have for it, including: fuel economy, ride comfort, safety (I sprung for the side curtain airbag option, as well), cargo and passenger capacity, build quality, etc.

How is the maintenance?
Maintenance has been terrific, barring one very (very, very, VERY) bad experience with a Ford dealership nearest me. After that debacle, which resulted in a letter and call to Ford Motor Co. HQ, I've happily driven to the dealership I purchased the FEH from despite it being about 22 minutes away. Incidentally, the bad experience was for vehicle service that had absolutely NOTHING to do with anything hybrid-related about the vehicle...

Maintenance-wise, I've also had two service visits to patch two flat tires (one at a time, each sustained within about 45 days of one another) due to driving roads with excessive construction. Ford service did perfectly, including resetting/recalibrating the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) that's standard on the Ford Escape Hybrid.

Scheduled maintenance-wise, I've had a tire rotation at 5k miles, an (early, at my request) oil change at 7,300 miles, and a recall service visit which resulted in a new drive shaft installation (recall affects only some 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD's manufactured, and any '06 FEH you find on a lot will have been serviced per Ford recall requirements already.)

Since I had the vehicle in for recall service recently anyway, I had Ford check out a leak in my sunroof and a rather annoying driver's seatbelt issue (wouldn't feed smoothly and would lock prematurely). Absolutely thrilled to say that both the sunroof issue and the seatbelt were both resolved satisactorily and without any hemming or hawing about "Oooh, this is a hybrid, this is going to be difficult/a pain/etc." In fact, I love that usually I get, "COOL, that's one of the hybrids, isn't it?" when I pull up.

All maintenance costs have been quite reasonable. My financial outlays have instead been directed at fun things like -- iPod Nano interface (P.I.E. FRDW PC-POD); Husky floor and cargo liners (I hike, camp and such so I knew carpet floor mats weren't going to work; even had Husky-type liners in my Corolla!); etc.

Particulary of interest:
Problems areas.
How is the CVT?
In my case, my only problem areas thus far have been the sunroof leak and the driver's seatbelt, both of which as I mentioned were resolved satisfactorily upon my first service visit to address those issues. I'm not sure what you mean by "how is the CVT?" It is different, but in every way I find it comparable if not preferable to a conventional transmission. She's got power when you need it, and I'm a little embarassed to admit I've spun/chirped my front tires twice by gunning her and realizing, "Oops, didn't need to spur her THAT much!" And she absolutely purrs in Electric Vehicle mode... it seems so archaic to see everyone else vibrating, making noise and spewing exhaust at stoplights now.

How are dealers with hybrids? knowledgable?
Hehehe... uhm, if you find one that is, let us know. In my experience, and from reading various hybrid forums (at least Ford/Mercury-related), you'll likely know A LOT MORE than any salesperson you tag at the lot. Mine at least was honest and admitted the moment he sat in the vehicle that I clearly knew more about the vehicle than he did, so he kept his mouth shut and listen to me as I explained stuff to my husband (who isn't our hybrid's primary driver, so he hadn't done quite as much research as I had, though now he pouts if he doesn't get to drive her "enough" because he's absolutely a Ford Escape Hybrid fan, now.)

Service-wise, I have not had any problems with a GOOD dealership and their treatment of hybrids and hybrid owners. I wouldn't tolerate one that tried to pass off issues as being too complex or a PITA to diagnose because I have a hybrid, nor would I tolerate one that made it difficult to schedule service or get my vehicle in a timely manner due to it being a hybrid. Find a good one and stick with it. In my case, my best bet was to stick with the selling dealership for my service but that's only because of the (previously mentioned) very bad experience at a dealership more conveniently located to me... that one will never, ever, get my business and has in fact lost the business of my husband's F-150 Supercrew 4x4 and my father's Ford Mustang GT... not that they care, of course, but still.

Sorry so wordy... I hope some of this is useful/informative in your decision-making process.

Last edited by GeekGal; 01-25-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

A very fine car with very few serious problems reported.

With a little practice on the driver's part, you WILL meet or beat EPA gas mileage in above freezing weather. The car runs fine in -20'F, but gas mileage drops off quite a bit in below freezing conditions, but so will any car.

Ford has over-engineered most aspects, which means this should be a very durable car that really will last 10 years and 200,000 miles.

When you consider size and weight and "utility" you actally get more per gallon than a Toyota Prius. ( also a fine car... just too small for me... )

Any specific or technical questions are welcome here. Dealers are dummies on the Hybrid topic. They only sell 3-6 Hybrids PER YEAR so they have little incentive to school up on them.

-John

Old 01-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

My '05 only has about 11k on it. However, being a "Ford Guy"...I can honestly say this is the best built Ford I've ever had. Consumer Reports also rated the quality of the FEH the best of any Ford model. (That was in last years April Auto Issue).

I would buy another in a heartbeat if I needed a new vehicle right now.

Nate

Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Thinking to get an escape Hybrid (an 06 (new) or 07 model).
I would look at only the '07 model. Even if "new", the '06 is almost 2 years old.

I would also take a good look at the Mariner Hybrid. The differences are subtle, but little things like an adjustable lumbar support might make your driving more enjoyable.

I don't think that a Ford or a Mercury dealership can sell the hybrids, unless they have hybrid trained techs at their service dept. My dealership has two techs they sent away for full hybrid training.

Get an X-plan PIN, and buy with that discount. It will bring you down to around invoice, with no haggling nor any extra charges (no doc fees, no ad fees, etc).

Last edited by WaltPA; 01-26-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Get an X-plan PIN, and buy with that discount. It will bring you down to around invoice, with no haggling nor any extra charges (no doc fees, no ad fees, etc).
Good advice on the X-plan; we get it as a matter of course due to my husband's (and my former) employer (which, incidentally, isn't even remotely in the vehicle manufacturing industry). If you work for a major corporation you may find you already have access to X-plan, without having to befriend a Ford employee or troll websites for X-plan PINs.

As for an '06 vs. an '07, as a matter of personal preference if I were buying now (vs. when we did buy, in March 2006), I would go for a 2007 but only because it's the latest and greatest, because honestly there are almost no differences between the 2006 and 2007 Ford Escape Hybrids. The '07 lacks roof rack cross beams (at least not vehicle standard equipment), so you just have the long runners along the length of the roofline. I believe the EPA fuel economy is identical between the two, or perhaps 1 MPG off? (Can't recall, so I'm noting where I might be in error.) The nice thing is the 2007 does have an MRSP that's $1000 less than the 2006's MSRP was when it was "brand new". You could potentially get a terrific deal on a new-to-you 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid however, sold by someone who perhaps didn't research hybrids and decided to offload it in the first 5k or 10k miles.

If the OP {Original Poster} likes the body styling of the current Escape, I'd advocate buying now vs. waiting too long, because 2008 is a new body style and (IMHO) one either loves or hates it (I'm a hater... it looks less sporty to me and more like a shrunken Explorer with an overly aggressive grill... and don't get me started on the new dash/accessories appearance.)

And while I didn't have any interest in the Mercury Mariner (mostly just due to styling, and I really didn't need or want AWD, of which all MM Hybrids are), I would definitely suggest looking at them if the OP is on the fence about the accoutrements of the FEH. I find the FEH perfect for my needs, and best-suited to my own personal style, but my husband prefers the Mercury Mariner styling (exterior only; neither of us have been in the interior of a MMH to compare.)

There are far fewer Mercury Mariner Hybrids manufactured/sold than Ford Escape Hybrids, so that is something to consider (one way or the other-- could be a "pro" to some or a "con" to others.)

Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your information, it has been very very helpful. I test drove a 06 hybrid with Navi option (plus leather, awd etc). In canada, we don't have the mercury line any more so only the FEH (took me a while to figure out what FEH is ) is available.

You are right about the dealers not knowing about hybrids. The guy who boasted about Ford's hybrids are the ONLY ones with full capablity to run on battery. I then proceeded to know all of toyota's hybrid's He also mentioned that Ford was the first one to come out with a hybrid.....i did not even respond to that one.

I just don't like some of the layouts of the dash, lack of climate control (probably standard on the mercury), and placements of the heated seats. Sorry - i guess maybe i was expecting too much coming from a Volvo car.

Went to the IIHS to check the crash rating on the car. not bad at all, like to see some real world collisions on the car.

There are barely any dealers here in canada who have any 07 hybrids, but found several 06 new ones. I know in canada, Ontario specifically, there is a rebate on the PST.

I am going to test drive the prius and see which one feels better. I might get a chance to rent a prius for a weekend just to see what is like, there are no rentals for the hybrids here.

Will let you guys know once I do more driving.

Johan

Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA

Just as an aside, the X-Plan PINs seem to be in very short supply right now. Over at Blue Oval News, PIN Request forum, there are many open requests with apparently little response. I'm guessing it's a seasonal situation, with all the great deals on '07 Fords right now, the Ford employees may have run out of their alotment of PINs.

I'm looking at a MM hybrid right now, but haven't been able to get a PIN. The X-Plan price on that vehicle is $500 over invoice, a price the dealer might match even without the X-Plan. We will see.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 PM

The Mariner doesn't have climate control either....nor do the non-hybrid Escapes or Mariners. Also, they all have the same terrible placement of controls for the heated seats....can't see them, can't really get your hand down there....just poor.

That said, I'm very happy with ours. I would have loved to have more features even offered as options, but overall I'm enjoying it.

As for pricing on the Mariner, we paid $700 over invoice when we got our '06 last May and that was without an X plan. I think ours was the first they had sold, and they seem to sit on the lot for a while. I'm guessing any dealer would be happy to move an MMH so I doubt you'd have a problem getting it for $500 over invoice.

Quick Reply: Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands