Thinking about selling my truck in the spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Thinking about selling my truck in the spring

When I used to drive farther it was great, but now with only driving six miles to work and such short distances it only gets a little better than a full sized truck since it doesn't warm up properly.

It's an 08awd that's loaded and in pretty good condition, currently 129k miles. I am thinking right around 13k to list it and and go from there, what do you think?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking about selling my truck in the spring

I like the used car appraisal tool at edmunds.com: http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

For a 2008 FEH AWD 129k miles in "clean" condition with no options it shows a "private party" value of around $10k. You could try your zip code and options and see what it show.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about selling my truck in the spring-screen-shot-2013-12-07-10.58.45-am.png  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed there was a zero for options, mine is loaded with pretty much everything except navigation. Moon roof, audiophile, side curtain, backup sensors, etc. KBB good is 13,200, fair is 11,900. Edmunds says 10,500 NADA says 11,800. From what I've seen online the prices they're going for are higher than edmunds and nada, they're pretty in line with kbb. I have struggled to find one optioned out like mine in the entire country for 12k.

That's my background on it, not calling you out or anything. The different sites vary wildly.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you sell your feh, then what will to get to replace it?

Old 12-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am not sure yet, with the short commute and the hobbies I have I will probably go back to a Silverado. We're a two vehicle household, so there's a car for longer trips.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
I am not sure yet, with the short commute and the hobbies I have I will probably go back to a Silverado. We're a two vehicle household, so there's a car for longer trips.
A couple of notes:

An FEH will get probably twice the MPG on a short trip than a full sized pickup. All cars get less MPG in cold weather, and all cars do worse in town.

If your FEH is paid off, you won't have a car payment by keeping it - and that payment would come with higher fuel costs to cover the lower MPG.

Of course, if you just WANT a new truck, that is a different story. Been there, done that! Also, if you need true 4WD, then the truck is better.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am buying an older one in good shape. The gas, insurance and depreciation are less than the three together on mine. An 08 depreciates fast and costs a lot to insure.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM

I am buying an older one in good shape. The gas, insurance and depreciation are less than the three together on mine. An 08 depreciates fast and costs a lot to insure.
Well, it sounds like you've done the homework! Good luck on your new ride, when you get it...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

I noticed there was a zero for options, mine is loaded with pretty much everything except navigation. Moon roof, audiophile, side curtain, backup sensors, etc. KBB good is 13,200, fair is 11,900. Edmunds says 10,500 NADA says 11,800. From what I've seen online the prices they're going for are higher than edmunds and nada, they're pretty in line with kbb. I have struggled to find one optioned out like mine in the entire country for 12k.

That's my background on it, not calling you out or anything. The different sites vary wildly.
I bought my 2008 MMH from a dealer with just under 60,000 miles,.. it is loaded with Navigation, sunroof, back sensors ect. (options you do not have) I lost my jeep GC in superstorm sandy and decent clean used cars were hard to come by locally.

I also have an extended ford warranty that should cover most everything,... I can't remember exactly what the covered mileage was. either but I think it was just over 125,000

and it has the 150,000 mile hybrid component warranty..
( realize a warranty is just me paying them to argue with me..,.. but as this is my first hybrid.. I felt it was a good idea anyways)

I bought it from a ford dealer for $13,000 including the 7% NJ sales tax.. clean carfax and a real clean MMH.. and up until the cold weather hit it has been great. not perfect but a great 2nd owner used car..

it had sat on the dealers lot for about 120+ days.

I found it from an online car search.. that give car value comparisons.
I would list the site but as a newby on here I do not want to violate listing/link policy.

Steve

Last edited by SSASteve; 01-27-2014 at 11:49 AM.