Temporary Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Temporary Storage?

I will be going on a two-week trip in October and will be leaving my truck behind. Luckily, I'm getting a ride to the airport so the truck will stay at my house. Do I need to do anything special to ensure the truck starts when I need it to?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Temporary Storage?

Not a thing. The battery can go months without discharging enough to where it won't start.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Don't worry about a thing, and don't do a thing for idle times of less than 60 days. If the car will sit for longer than 60 days, run the car at home in park with A/C or Defrost on for 6-8 minutes. This will put the maximum allowed charge into both the 12v and 330v battery. Then turn the car off.

In the rear, right ( passenger side ) there is an orange **** under the carpet over the battery that will disconnect the 330v battery. It is a service, or emergency disconnect.
I don't know what would run besides the radio clock when the key was out,and even that would be 12v but you never know. This for sure disconnects everything.

You can disconnect the BLACK or NEGATIVE side of the 12v underhood battery if you wish, but it's probably a less of a concern. Never touch or put a tool on the RED or positive side of a car's underhood battery, until the black, negative side is removed first. If you touch the red and any metal in the car at the same time, you get a short circuit with about 500 amps.

Less than 60 days? Don't worry about a thing.
As the car gets older, say 5 years or more, you may wish to do the above for 30 days of non-use. -John

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

If you disconect the 12 v battery you will loose the keep alive memory in the pcm. This is the idle and fuel trim settings that may take 200 miles or more to re tune. I would just leave it alone.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

200 miles? My book says 1 or 2 drive cycles, but no reference to miles.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I will be able to relax knowing I'm not destroying my truck. Now, if I could just manage to forget about work...

Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Feral Engineer

I parked mine for three weeks at the airport. It started perfectly, but the tires had flat spotted in the hot sun.

Fortunately by the time I got home they were fine.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

200 miles? My book says 1 or 2 drive cycles, but no reference to miles
Yea one or two for the basic rough learn. But to get the fine detail of the long term fuel trim and other learned functions it can take up to 200 miles and that is on a non hybrid. Modern cars are so sensitive gas brand can make a difference! i.e. buying from different brands never sticking with one.

After Ford replaced my PCM it took 2 tanks of gas to get back to the mileage I was getting before.

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 09-03-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

I would make sure the 330v battery had a "reasonable" charge in it when I shut down, and not down to the "last drop", so in other words, don't use electric mode for that last two miles before shutdown. However, even if it is dead, there is a way to jump it from the 12v--see the owners manual.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just how long does a full charge on the 12v battery last?

Unlike other vehicles, doesn't the hybrid have a lot more electronics "constantly powered". I mean more than just a clock or radio presets.

Quick Reply: Temporary Storage?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands