Tax Credit Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tax Credit Question

I purchased my '06 MMH on 9/1/06. When researching the clean air tax credit, the IRS site mentions 60K units and quarters. Does anyone know if the 2006 MMH has sold over 60K units or how Ford breaks down their quarters?

Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tax Credit Question

It is my understanding that Ford/Mercury hasn't sold enough for this to matter yet. You'll get the full allotment for your type of vehicle - which varies as to whether it is AWD or 2WD. Are all MMH AWD? I'm not sure what the AWD credit is, but it is $2600 for the 2WD FEH.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. All the MMH are 4WD. The tax credit would be $ 1,950 (same as the FEH 4WD). To claim the tax credit, do I only have to fill out the 1040 form? Any other steps in the process?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Also if you pay AMT you will not be able to use the tax credit.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2006MMH
Thanks. All the MMH are 4WD. The tax credit would be $ 1,950 (same as the FEH 4WD). To claim the tax credit, do I only have to fill out the 1040 form? Any other steps in the process?
I do our taxes with Turbo Tax and I just answer the questions that the program asks. And then we file online, so I don't pay really close attention to what forms the program ends up using. We had no problem getting the credit for the first Prius we bought in '04 this way. So, that is the long way to say that I don't know if there is an additional form. Sorry!

Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2006MMH
I purchased my '06 MMH on 9/1/06. When researching the clean air tax credit, the IRS site mentions 60K units and quarters. Does anyone know if the 2006 MMH has sold over 60K units or how Ford breaks down their quarters?
Not sure if numbers changed much from this link...I doubt it...but Ford has a long way to go to reach 60,000 units, so you'll have no problem getting your credit:

http://www.electricdrive.org/index.p...icles&topics=7

I'm not sure here, but I thought I saw that there's another form to attach to the 1040 to claim the Hybrid credit. If you use software for you tax, it would take care of that for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford won't likely hit the 60,000 limit before the tax credit expires in 2010.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's unlikely IMO that Ford wants to hit that limit. They aren't making nearly as much money on the hybrid as they do on a fully loaded V6.

So anyway, part B to this question if I might ask is: What happens to the credit if you sell the vehicle in the same year of purchase?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The rules say you must keep the Hybrid for 3 years to keep the full credit.
IRS assumes most people keep the car 3 years or more, so you may take the credit up front.

Technically, if you sell the car sooner, you have to give back 2/3 of the credit if you keep the car 1-2 years, or 1/3 of the credit if you keep the car 2-3 years.

You are not supposed to claim any credit if you resell the car in less than 1 year.

Originally Posted by snax

So anyway, part B to this question if I might ask is: What happens to the credit if you sell the vehicle in the same year of purchase?

Old 09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota is the only manufacturer that has surpassed the 60k mark and that was early in the 2nd quarter. So, if you are looking to get the full tax credit for a Toyota or Lexus hybrid, you have to take delivery by the end of September.

Ford is still a ways from the mark. They do not have a major hybrid only model, like Prius, to drive their sales.

Quick Reply: Tax Credit Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands