Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Stupid Question

Originally Posted by Maritime Linda
I tried hitting the top of the little dimmer switch to the left of the steering column, but it didn't change a thing. Is there something I'm missing here??
Isn't it a dial? Next to the Fog lights. And have you tried this with the headlights in the on position? (Regardless of daytime running or automatic)

Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks! To all who suggested turning headlamps on manually, I 'll give that a try. Not keen on the fact that I'll have to start remembering to turn them off after many years of not doing so. According to the manual they will shut down after 10 minutes, but that's a rather long time, three or four would be more reasonable.

And Rich, the dimmer switch on my 06 is not a dial. It is a switch with a plus sign at the top and a minus sign at the bottom. The fog lights and mirror control switch are located above it. Beside it is an empty slot for something else.

On the Daytime Running Lights, I just checked the Transport Canada site and since 1989 all new vehicles sold in Canada have been equipped with DRL. Since that time there has been an 11% reduction in daytime vehicle collisions.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks! To all who suggested turning headlamps on manually, I 'll give that a try. Not keen on the fact that I'll have to start remembering to turn them off after many years of not doing so. According to the manual they will shut down after 10 minutes, but that's a rather long time, three or four would be more reasonable.

And Rich, the dimmer switch on my 06 is not a dial. It is a switch with a plus sign at the top and a minus sign at the bottom. The fog lights and mirror control switch are located above it. Beside it is an empty slot for something else.

On the Daytime Running Lights, I just checked the Transport Canada site and since 1989 all new vehicles sold in Canada have been equipped with DRL. Since that time there has been an 11% reduction in daytime vehicle collisions.
In the grand scheme of how much power it usually requires from a 12V battery to start an engine.... 10min of headlamps is nothing to worry about, and is recharged after then engine starts again very quickly. As an addition, on the hybrid the engine is started by the 330V battery in the back, so the load on this 12V battery is TINY compared to a normal escape.

In short... don't worry about the 10min.... it won't pose any problems for you. I hope turning on the lights manually works for you.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 AM

the slot next to the dimmer control is for quarters.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:14 AM

I wonder if that statistic will hold up over time?

The human brain likes to focus upon the unusual, and ignore the usual. As more and more cars have DRL, they will become "usual" and more and more people will start to subconsciously ignore them.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Does anyone know if the 12v battery is the same "normal" one used in the regular FE/MM ??? Or is it of larger capacity, or one of those "deep cycle" marine ones?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

A quarter slot!!! That's a hoot! Thanks. *LOL*

Linda

Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM

Walt, the FEH 12 volt battery is a standard automotive battery. Not sure if it has the same specs as any other escapes because there are 4 and V6 engines in those. The FEH uses a motorcraft BXT-96R 12 volt battery, you just need to find one with those specs and size to fit. Try the web for a match with other brands when you need to replace it. No big deal I would think.

GaryG

Old 08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Linda - the slot on Canadian Models is for Loonies!

Also I think the reason My Escape is doing a little better mpg than the Mariner is because is is 2wd. My dealer did have a Mariner which I test drove - lovely vehicle, but I went with the escape because I wanted 2wd.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Walt, the FEH 12 volt battery is a standard automotive battery. Not sure if it has the same specs as any other escapes because there are 4 and V6 engines in those. The FEH uses a motorcraft BXT-96R 12 volt battery, you just need to find one with those specs and size to fit. Try the web for a match with other brands when you need to replace it. No big deal I would think.
Thanks Gary.

I was just thinking that a large capacity battery, or one designed for "deep" discharging, might allow the system to not run the ICE as often, for purposing of just recharging the 12v battery.

In other words, allow one to run just in stealth mode, with the headlights 'on' and the radio blasting.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands