Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stupid Question

I'm just been driving my 06 FEH a few days now so still feeling my way around. Just got back from a trip to the grocery store and realized it was my first trip after dark. I was not able to see much of anything on the instrument panel other than the fuel ecomomy reading. I could barely read the speedometer. I tried hitting the top of the little dimmer switch to the left of the steering column, but it didn't change a thing. Is there something I'm missing here??

Old 08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stupid Question

Maybe this is a silly question, but did you have the lights on? Unlike many modern cars, the FEH does not have automatic lights so if your previous car did, you might have forgotten. Otherwise, if you pushed the + button many times (or held it down for a few seconds), you should have seen the dashboard lights brighten. If not, you might have a problem.

Regards,

Roch

Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, my lights do go on when I start the vehicle. I think it's standard for cars sold in Canada. Well, I guess I'll have to get it checked out. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I have been reading a lot of information here and am working to adopt some of the driving habits suggested for improved mileage.

Linda

Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Theres a possibility..... When your lights come on when you start the vehicle. They are probably just "daytime running lights". I think this is a lower intensity (still using headlights) or fog lights for Canada... but your headlights still aren't officially "ON". Try actually manually turning your headlamps on and adjusting your dash brightness... your dash may then light up normally.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

My 2007 US Escape does have automatic headlights - you just set the light switch to the Auto position. Not sure if the 06 is the same. It could be a fuse or perhaps the dash lights dont work

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

My '07 does NOT have automatic headlights. Is this a Canada thing? Or maybe an option? Mine is a *very* basic FEH.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Canadian vehicles should have the DRL (daytime running lights). They are not the same as auto-on headlights. I believe they are only like 70% brightness. As mentioned, try turning on your headlights on the stalk and you should see your cluster light up.

Auto-on lights are an option on the 2007 Escape Hybrid that come with the Premium Package. I don't believe they were available on the 05 or 06 FEH's though. My 06 Mariner doesn't have them either.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Mines a California vehicle - I just bought it 2 weeks ago and it has a june manufacture date. Perhaps they added it mid year? Or perhaps it is an option thing - mine is pretty much loaded.

Its such a cool vehicle - I just filled it up after 2 weeks of commuting and it cost less that $40 to fill it - averageing 36.6 mpg so far! After a 3/4 ton suburban that got 10-11mpg its quite a change!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine is an 07 Mariner Hybrid, maxed out on all the options (acutally, it's because we didnt have the option to chose options - there was only one available for sale in all of Orange County CA that week) - it does have the auto-light.

timcob, how the heck did you get 36mpg on such a new vehicle? I drive like a grandpa and I'm getting only 27mpg max. Is the MMH less efficient? Hopefully I get better after 1k or 3k miles.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by timcob
Mines a California vehicle - I just bought it 2 weeks ago and it has a june manufacture date. Perhaps they added it mid year? Or perhaps it is an option thing - mine is pretty much loaded.

Its such a cool vehicle - I just filled it up after 2 weeks of commuting and it cost less that $40 to fill it - averageing 36.6 mpg so far! After a 3/4 ton suburban that got 10-11mpg its quite a change!
Its a canada thing. Its required in canada. Somewhere else on this forum someone mentioned that its programmed in the computer somewhere as to whether daytime running lamps are enabled or not and it can be set by a dealer if you really want it...

Quick Reply: Stupid Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands