Storage in the underside of the centore console lid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Storage in the underside of the centore console lid

The cubby with the stiff spring tab in the underside of the center console lid seems to have been specifically designed to store something. Any idea what Ford had in mind when they designed it that way - I cant find any mention in the manual and it doesnt seem for storing CD jewel cases or anything.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Storage in the underside of the centore console lid

Travelers size Kleenex boxes fit perfectly. Early Ford literature suggested is was for storing CDs.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 PM

Hi Tim

That is for holding small travel Kleenex Brand of tissues. The size is 5"X6"X1 1/2" thick box. Sometimes they come in a package of three boxes at a small price. Not all stores carry that size, so when I find them, I stock up. Kleenex brand are also used in my EB Explorer. My family has always liked this feature in Fords.

GaryG

Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM

I use it for Kleenex. I have a copy of the 2001 Ford Escape Launch Video which is an internal Ford video produced to acquaint salespeople with the vehicle's features. (The 2001 has the exact same spring tab). From the video:

The narrator is an automotive engineer demonstrating some of the Escape's features for Ford's salespeople.

"One of the things I liked when I got into Escape and popped open the console is how deep it was. It's large enough to hold this (temporarily removes, then replaces, a zippered portfolio from the console) and still close the lid. And when I opened the lid, I noticed that there's a place to store CDs (removes one CD in its jewel case, two remain) hidden up in the lid of the center console....something of ahh, as we call it, a surprise and delight feature. But its a nice place to store CDs, handy and out of sight."

Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 PM

Hi Gator

It is true, you have both options for kleenex or a few single jewel case CD's. The nav CD case or the old ford storage CD cases will not fit there. I've always filled the 6 CD changer, and put the 6 empty jewel cases in my house storage system. If I had a single disc system, not sure if I would use that area for just a few disc cases or a CD storage case with more CD's.

The best thing is, we have a choice and the space is cut out for kleenex use which I prefer.

GaryG

Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM

I have never tried to store CDs there. I was just relating what the video said. When I purchased my 02 Escape I had a difficult time locating the Travelers size Kleenex. I finally found an internet janitorial supply place and ordered two cases. That will probably carry me through my next Escape as well. The Travelers are marginally smaller than what you are describing (4.75" X 4.75" X 1.6') and hold 40 tissues. What is the official Kleenex name for the size you found?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM

This from the Kimberly-Clark site:

"Where can I find KLEENEX® Juniors Facial Tissue with the carton that fits into the dispenser of my Ford Explorer?
Although we encourage stores to stock our full line of products, because of limited shelf space, it may not be possible for them to carry all of the different brands currently on the market. If you are interested in locating a particular KLEENEX® Brand Tissue product, you may contact Kimberly-Clark Consumer Services at 1-800-553-3639 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Standard Time."

Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

Gosh dang, learned something again tonight. Wife was complaining that we needed a kleenex holder in the car. I was about to rig-up something on the side of the center counsel. Now I'll just remove the CD's from under the lid. I love it!

Even before I just found out this piece of gold information, I had been looking for that size of kleenex box. Does anyone know if Super Walmart carries that size of Kleenex? Our SuperWalmart opens up in about 2 weeks. The regular Walmart its replacing doesn't have the size that I could find.

Mark

Last edited by Pexring; 08-31-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM

The size box I'd used for years has slowly became harder to find. There is no name on the box, and I see the smaller travel tissues more these days. Those are just to small for me and don't fit right. Sometimes Walmart or Public's gets a shipment in and I load up. It seems years ago, at least one Limited or EB Explorer had that size in it when I bought it new, and I've continued to look for that size since then. This size tissue is not bad if you take a few at a time.

Good luck finding them because there perfect for the space.

GaryG

Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 PM

One of the oddest things.... but one that makes sense when you think of it. Is that I usually have bought my tissue boxes at gas stations. Usually BP. I know of two of them nearby that carry the box size that fits.

Apparently there are quite a few of these holders out there and enough people looking for them that some gas stations have decided to carry them.

Quick Reply: Storage in the underside of the centore console lid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands