Stop Safely? It won't even start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stop Safely? It won't even start!

*grumble*

06 FEH, there is some problem with the door locks where (after a dead / dying battery) it won't unlock the driver's door with anything other than a key. No interior switch, no remote.

But this is only on the UNlock - locking works just fine from any remote or interior switch, and the other doors all lock and unlock just fine.

So the consensus from the internet is that the Smart Junction Box needs to be replaced. (what a misnomer, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a car!)

I get a new one from the dealer and manage to get it in place without completely destroying the interior... Now the locks work from the inside, but the remotes don't do anything (ok, need to reprogram them)... The Programming mode won't engage... And the dashboard is saying "Stop Safely Now" with the wrench idiot light and no starting?

What the heck?

Go through the annoyances to put back the old SJB - the locks are back the way they were, the remotes work again (still won't unlock) and the dashboard... SSN and wrench.

ALL the relays check out good, no blown fuses that I can easily identify... Help?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stop Safely? It won't even start!

I googled about the smart junction box and it seems if you replace it it has to be matched to the VIN of the car it is being put into otherwise lots of bad things will happen. You probably need to have a Ford dealer put the SJB in and re-do all of the keys.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Brilliant design. Why then would it continue to be pissy with the original back in place? It also seems like a random reason for the SSN message, versus a key mismatch code or something. That I might expect.

Oh - there were no codes either, at least that my Scangauge2 could pull.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

If the SJB box was bad, your SSN might be an anti-theft thing if there are no codes. The new SJB might also cause a anti-theft mode since it isn't matched to your car. Just guessing as most of the google results for SJB replacement seem to be for Mustangs.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thought about this some more...

The SJB replacement was selected by the dealer using the vin number, and they insisted that the thing doesn't need to be programmed. I don't know if that is true or not yet.

The original SJB was functional except for the driver door unlock problem. How / why that was caused and why it was the ONLY failure... I don't know either.

I just went out and looked, the voltage / fuel cut off switch is not tripped, and I can't see where the computer is indicating on the dash that the key is a mismatch. The original SJB is installed at the moment. What it IS saying, is that every door is open (the only open door was the front passenger) and the hood is open (Ok, that one is true too) but it was complaining that the driver's door and left rear doors are open (they aren't) and it is still in wrench / SSN. The triangle is not lit.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you replace your 12V battery or just recharge the old one? When my 12V battery was dying, a number of weird items occurred and stopped with the installation of a new one.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Tried both - recharged overnight, and in the morning, the charger was reporting that the optima yellow top was reading 12 volts. With that, that battery was toasted. Put in a new battery from Costco today, and same result.

GaryG - I'd love your input, if you have a scanner or something to read and appease the computer, I'm in Boca. (Saw you were active in the thread)

Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

I just post to follow this thread. I have exactly the same problem with my FEH 2006. The driver's door doesn't unlock with the remote.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_pablo
I just post to follow this thread. I have exactly the same problem with my FEH 2006. The driver's door doesn't unlock with the remote.

Did you turn the key to on and back to off 8 times, listen for the vehicle to automatically turn the locks on and off-vehicle is in programming mode- and then hit the fob key?

See this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_6199609_prog...d-key-fob.html

Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Did you turn the key to on and back to off 8 times, listen for the vehicle to automatically turn the locks on and off-vehicle is in programming mode- and then hit the fob key?

See this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_6199609_prog...d-key-fob.html
I have just done what was in the article. The problem is still there. The door locks but does not unlock...

Quick Reply: Stop Safely? It won't even start!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands