steering wheel audio controls now included

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: steering wheel audio controls now included

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
"Saving" according to the new manual comparison posted here eariler, lets you hit OK when a song is playing, and it will notify you when that song is playing on another channel and if you want to listen to it... Kinda pointless in my opnion unless it knows ahead of time so you can listen to the entire song.
They do know ahead of time. Sirius sends the artist and song data 10 seconds in advance of the song starting to play.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's a pretty cool feature!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Walt's steering wheel picture is not of a hybrid. The non hybrid 08 escape has always had the steering wheel controls available. It is just the hybrid that did not.

I would like to see a picture of a 08 hybrid with the controls...

08FEH

Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Walt's steering wheel picture is not of a hybrid. The non hybrid 08 escape has always had the steering wheel controls available. It is just the hybrid that did not.

I would like to see a picture of a 08 hybrid with the controls...

08FEH
My '08 Hybrid wheel is identical to Walt's. No sense posting an identical photo.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ICBMariner
I think the current conversion kit has a 3 month lead time. You order the new style steering wheel & get the rest of the FEH/MMH. Pricing subject to trade in value of your current MMH/FEH Vs purchase price of the "kit". See your local Ford / Mercury dealer for more details.

I think I MAY understand what you are saying, but can you put that in lay terms? Does that mean Ford could install a new steering wheel on my car? And is there a ballpark price?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leoashton
LOL. Has anyone noticed that the new Escapes seem to have chrome on the 2 rear hinges connected to the rear glass door? I saw one around town and thought it was some 3rd party thing, but today I saw a just sold one coming off the lot and it had them too... the chrome doesn't cover the entire hinge, just part of them. This did not seem to be an addition to the chrome package either.
That's interesting because my December-built FEH has black hinges. And, I have both the steering wheel audio controls and the chrome package.

Anybody else know about this hinge change?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my '08 FEH on Nov. 10th. I did research for a long time and during that entire time, the steering wheel controls were not an option. As my dealer had the very FEH I would have ordered, I bought it.

While I do feel steering wheel audio controls are a luxury (as the radio isn't that far), it is disappointing that they cannot be added or weren't added before.

I called my Ford dealer asking about those controls and the auto-start feature. As everyone here (including myself) would guess, neither can be added.

The Ford mechanic provided no reason for the auto-start feature, other than saying it's "not available". I'm not sure why this would be difficult, but that's fine. It's a real luxury (but a nice one to have for those who live in colder climates).

The audio control feature was odd. Yes, I admit the steering wheel would have to be replaced. Fair enough. But the dealer stated something about the wiring having to run through the air bag system. Uh... doesn't the horn, the steering wheel lights, and the cruise control do that now? I don't understand why that would be so difficult to do. My guess is that it would require a lot more dismantling of the system to get those wires through.

I realize that no dealer does upgrades to a vehicle, but they should. Ford compared this to upgrading to a V6 from a V4. That analogy is poor - this is a whole redesign of an engine. Likewise, I get adding in a Navigation system when one isn't there (as that would require a whole new dash) or a sunroof (although this can be done post-market, so...). To me, adding in a few extra wires isn't the equivalent to a V4 to V6 engine change.

I also asked about the Sync feature and was again told that this would only be a factory installed item - not an upgrade.

So while I love my FEH and will enjoy it, I am disappointed about some of these little things.

Still, I won't bother buying a new vehicle until the plug-in is sold. Now that's worth an upgrade!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
In addidition to the steering wheel button, aparently a slightly updated Sirius recived or software interface has been added. I saw on blueoval forums some complaining because they could only save 20 song titles, not any artist's.

Not sure if they mentioned steering wheel controls tho.

"Saving" according to the new manual comparison posted here eariler, lets you hit OK when a song is playing, and it will notify you when that song is playing on another channel and if you want to listen to it... Kinda pointless in my opnion unless it knows ahead of time so you can listen to the entire song.
I played with my Sirius a lot while on a VERY long drive during the holidays. I had no "saving" feature (and I looked everywhere for it). I can only assume I have the "older" software. Then again, for any song I really want to hear, I have it on my iPod.

While I get not upgrading a few things (like the Sync as a microphone is needed), a Sirius upgrade shouldn't be. I won't resubscribe unless I get an upgrade.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBMariner
I think the current conversion kit has a 3 month lead time. You order the new style steering wheel & get the rest of the FEH/MMH. Pricing subject to trade in value of your current MMH/FEH Vs purchase price of the "kit". See your local Ford / Mercury dealer for more details.

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k
I think I MAY understand what you are saying, but can you put that in lay terms? Does that mean Ford could install a new steering wheel on my car? And is there a ballpark price?

In "lay" terms, my joke post was basically if you want a FEH/MMH with the audio controls, visit your dealer & order a new vehicle. The ballpark price would be the difference between your trade in & the purchase price of the new one.

If it could be done, I am guessing you would need to replace the wiring harness in the steering column along with some other hardware (not counting the steering wheel).

Maybe sometime later Ford will create a kit. Who knows, stranger things has happened!

I will agree that this would be nice, look better, but for me & the $$$, I will stick with my digital controls (IE my finger) for now.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: steering wheel audio controls now included

Guys, I HAVE THE ANSWER!!. I ordered my Mariner Premier 08, I've had it for 2 weeks, love it, but was dissapointed about NO AUDIO STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS. 2 weeks later I read the brochure again and that options is included in the HEATED PACKAGE!!! aww come on, when I first read that package all i read was heated seats and mirrors and I didnt pay attention to the rest of the sentences and nowhere in my mind would it had occured to me that AUDIO CONTROLS were in a package with the name HEATED on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so pissed I'm tring to order the **** steering wheel, I'll see what I do, feel free to reply

Quick Reply: steering wheel audio controls now included

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands