Squeaky rear end--'08

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaky rear end--'08

The whine is very precise; it kicks in at exactly 60 MPH, then is heard between about 55 MPH and 70 MPH. It's on the same side as the problem brake, so maybe the two are connected.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
N/A

Sounds like brakes then, if it's all the time at those speeds.

The hybrid whistle can be identified in the FEH as it comes and goes with accelerator usage. Passengers mentioned it, particularly if I abrubtly released the pedal at around 60. My passenger often heard it but I rarely did until I listened for it.

Also, I may have the infamous squeak now. There is some kind of rear suspension noise when driving at low speeds over broken pavement, kind of a shaking, creaking noise. It sounds sort of like someone shaking a metal leaf rake. Maybe it's my roof rack, I don't know but I guess I'll find out here in a month when roof-rack season ends. Sure sounds like it's coming from the back.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, this beats all. My mechanic just called and said that after installing the new brakes it's the electric brake motor and that the noise is completely normal. Good thing it did it after I could do anything about the car; the noise literally hurts my ears. Maybe I should drive around with earplugs. That's legal, right?
MT-you're describing the timing perfectly on my whine. Why do hybrids do this? If I had known ahead of time I might not have purchased the vehicle. It's driving me crazy.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by queenfan
MT-you're describing the timing perfectly on my whine. Why do hybrids do this? If I had known ahead of time I might not have purchased the vehicle. It's driving me crazy.
Sorry, but I just have to ask. How old are you?

In general, people's ability to hear high-pitch whines decreases with age. At my age, I hear none of this.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 PM
N/A

OK so at least you have an answer now.

I guess we could say "Congratulations on your excellent hearing !!" Probably would not help, though. Or we could say "Oh they ALL do that !!" but that's not much help, either, is it? How about "You'll get used to it !!" Hmmm. We could try this one: "It won't bother you as much as you get older!!" Okay, that's no good either.

That's it, I got nothin'.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am young (27) and also, for some reason, have bat-like hearing. It's a curse.
The part they replaced was the rear brake shims. There is a TSB on them. The car made none of the noises while the mechanic had it, until our final test ride together. THen it made the wet brake screech, which he said wasn't normal. Pretty much par for anything of mine.
I also felt a perfect fool when I was told that the high pitched whine was a combination of the brake system and cheap tires. Maybe I'll ask for a new set for Christmas...

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

Do you know what TSB number that was? I am having the same problem with my '08 and will take it into the dealership Friday and would like to have something that I can refer them to look at. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but since they determined it wasn't fixed they kept the paperwork. However, the technicians should know about it; I don't believe there are many TSBs out on the '08s. (At least I hope not!)

Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I took my hybrid into the dealer today and they rode with me so we could try to recreate the squeaky noise, but no noise. Figures, when ever you want your car to make the sound it doesn't, but as soon as you're not wanting the sound it comes. So Queenfan, your hybird still makes the squeaky noise in the rear? When mine does squeak it seems to do it when going over bumps, cracks, dips, and when I turn.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes it does. It was also making the squeak when I leaned on the car or shook the rear. It stopped doing that while the mechanic was there, and has been less noticeable, but still happens. I'll wait till the next cold front moves through and see if I can't get it to do it again and more consistently.

Quick Reply: Squeaky rear end--'08

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands