Speed Limiter Tested

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Speed Limiter Tested

Looks like 90 mph is what the limiter is set on the 06 FEH 2wd. Made trip to San Diego and found this out. The vehicle does not buck at 90, but will not accelerate past that speed.

Anyone else try to find out the top speed?

Last edited by SAM Hybrid; 01-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned
Default Re: Speed Limiter Tested

Interesting - The Insight's speed limiter does not kick in until 113mph (yes, I've tried it ) I'm betting the Firestone case is a factor in Ford setting the limiter below 100 mph.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:07 AM
YA RLY.

I don't know what's crazier: a 90mph speed limiter or someone who pushes his Insight to the wall

Old 01-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAM Hybrid
Looks like 90 mph is what the limiter is set on the 06 FEH 2wd. Made trip to San Diego and found this out. The vehicle does not buck at 90, but will not accelerate past that speed.

Anyone else try to find out the top speed?
I read somewhere that the limiter was set at 102 mph. I've seen pics of the speedo at that number, but I don't know what was required to get it there.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sledge
I don't know what's crazier: a 90mph speed limiter or someone who pushes his Insight to the wall
I've driven my Insight over five years. The first three years I'd let some agressive drivers get to me, usually in the evening, when more were on the road. The tendacy was young guys in power trucks. Anyway, I did 113mph a couple of times (and others have reported this as the max speed). Yes, I did get some perverse pleasure these guys that think leaned-back in a 5-6 liter truck makes them a man, yet they can't pass a "girly" 995cc car.

I've been driving at times and routes I encounter less of them. With higher gas prices and maybe better speed enforcement, there are less flagrant speeders. I've done a lot less of it in the last two years.

Even though I've pretty much stopped the racing for some time now, maybe I should throw myself at the mercy of GreenHybrid begging to be forgiven.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 AM
YA RLY.

DF, the gas pedal has that much travel in it because every once in a while you need/want to use it.

No apologies necessary

Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

I was considering doing a reenactment of Jimmy Swaggart's "Ah have Sinned!!!"

Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have exceeded 100mpg (104 indicated) in my 05 FEH AWD. I was a clear day on dry pavement (I say that cause I can't remeber the last one) and it was on a long gentle downhill.

I was suprised because my F-250 was limited at 96 MPH, and the FEH clearly can exceed that. I thought I read 100 was the offical limit on the FEH.

Either way it handled the speed very well, with the exception of the hood flexing far too much.

Chris Brown
Mendocino County California

Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I do think 102 MPH is the speed limit for the FEH.

Of course the "needle" reads at least 2 MPH "High" so if you saw 104 MPH, your actual was 102 MPH.

Of course, there is no speed limit if you are going down a steep enough hill ( cliff ).

Keep in mind pushing anything to the max can be damaging.

-John

Old 01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Speed Limiter Tested

I remember doing 105 in my '01 Escape XLT with the AWD option....

It was on I-81 in PA between Scranton and Binghamton, NY.
Wow.

My current '05 FEH AWD has only gone as fast as 85 (NJ Turnpike, PA Turnpike)
and I didn't want to bring the little 4-banger any higher than that.

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter Tested

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands