Some things I miss, would like to get in FEH

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Some things I miss, would like to get in FEH

I love my FEH, the technology is just dazzling and going to the gas pump has been a very pleasant experience. My former auto, a 2000 Mountaineer with a V8, is parked for boat pulling duty only, and while I don't miss $50 fillups twice a week, there are a few small things I miss. I was wondering if any of you know of a way to get these features retrofitted somehow:

1) I miss my cruise control buttons being lighted at night. We have a few different cars about, and my brain gets scrambled some time time trying to remember where the on/off, set, resume buttons are located on each one.

2) the interior map light is impractical. In the mountaineer, this was located in the mirror, with a light and switch for driver and passenger side. I sometimes have to turna light on (to see the cruise control buttons for one thing) , and in the FEH you have to reach behind you to get the map light, which I find physically awkward and distracting to do while driving.

3) The gauge package is kind of skimpy. Its nice to know engine RPM, but, heck, its an automatic computer controlled thing, whats of more interest is what the engine temperature is, what the ICE charging voltage is. (The thread about scan gauge seems interesting, but the equipment too aftermarkety and out of place, in my opinion. )

4) The last item is kinda dumb, but I miss having something that tells me the outside temperature.

I bought a few little clip on visor lights to make do, but, it seems to me this is the kind of thing if you are willing to pay a few bucks you might be able to get a factory kit installed or clean aftermarket kit. Has anyone looked at this?

Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Some things I miss, would like to get in FEH

I miss the cubby holes in the dash area. I had to get some velcro to fasten the garage door opener. Otherwise the rest is fine as far as I am concerned. I base this against the 2003 Escape I traded in on my 2006 Hybrid.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Ford uses Gentex brand mirrors (not Donelly) in its vehicles which offer that option (the auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp gauge is NOT offered as on option on the Escape or Escape Hybrid). The auto companies buy Gentex mirrors directly from Gentex. They are distributed to the after-market by a company in Indiana called Mito which offers factory support and installation advice. Mito also offers a 3 year warranty on the Gentex mirrors.

I purchased and installed the Gentex auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature gauge in my 2006 Escape Hybrid. The installation took about 2 hours (you have to remove the A-piller by unscrewing the grip handle and then attach the mirror's power wire to a switched 12 Volt source undeneath the center console). Installing the outside temperature sensor was simple due to the presence of a direct access hole through the firewall (no drilling to get the temperature-sensor-wire-harness through the firewall!!!!).

The installation is pretty easy to do and turns out looking like a "factory installed option". If anyone on the list needs assistance installing one of these, I'll be glad to give advice based on my experiences.

I paid $189 including shipping from a Mito retailer called "Autodax" in Vermont. They have a website www.autodax.com.

Fred E.
Detroit, MI

Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

There does seem to be a bit of a transition/miss period.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-had.2639.html

Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by feinstei
Ford uses Gentex brand mirrors (not Donelly) in its vehicles which offer that option (the auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp gauge is NOT offered as on option on the Escape or Escape Hybrid). The auto companies buy Gentex mirrors directly from Gentex. They are distributed to the after-market by a company in Indiana called Mito which offers factory support and installation advice. Mito also offers a 3 year warranty on the Gentex mirrors.

I purchased and installed the Gentex auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature gauge in my 2006 Escape Hybrid. The installation took about 2 hours (you have to remove the A-piller by unscrewing the grip handle and then attach the mirror's power wire to a switched 12 Volt source undeneath the center console). Installing the outside temperature sensor was simple due to the presence of a direct access hole through the firewall (no drilling to get the temperature-sensor-wire-harness through the firewall!!!!).

The installation is pretty easy to do and turns out looking like a "factory installed option". If anyone on the list needs assistance installing one of these, I'll be glad to give advice based on my experiences.

I paid $189 including shipping from a Mito retailer called "Autodax" in Vermont. They have a website www.autodax.com.

Fred E.
Detroit, MI
I took a look at the autodax web site, and they had something that would do the job perfectly. Good link and thanks.

I probably won't hassle with installing it myself, I found a local company that does some clean install work and is FOrd certified, I had them put in XM Radio and I was pleased with their work, and this is the kind of thing they do.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Frank
I also purchased a Gentex mirror with the compass and temp. I do not have the wiring location of the temp probe into the mirror wire harness outlet. The two connections that are occupied now are for the compass and it works but I need instructions on how to calibrate the compass and the zone selection, I'm not sure where to plug in the temp probe on the other 5 connection pins-I asked gentex and they surprisingly said go back to my installer-that's me.and no instuctions came with the temp probe or compass calibration.
Hope you can help
Thanks
Chuck Everett

Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Gentex mirror

I installed a Gentex mirror in my '06 FEH yesterday...fairly easy installation and the setup/calibration is pretty simple. Seems to work well, except for the temperature readout...

For those of you have done the same install, WHERE did you put the temperature probe? I routed all my stuff from the mirror over to the passenger side because I have the wires from a Scangauge on the driver's side. I put the probe wayyyyy up front, right near where the front fender joins up with the front radiator support. Doesn't seem to be giving very accurate outside temperature readings from there. Others have said to clip it under the radiator near the center of the front end, but how do you get to that area without removing the plastic "under pan" that covers the front end?

Would it work any better to install it under the windshield in that flat area that runs from side to side? I think that's where the probe for the temperature was on my '02 Exploder and it seemed to be pretty accurate...

Any suggestions? Or does anyone know where Ford puts the probe on factory-installed mirrors like this?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I recently downloaded an Escape & Escape Hybrid accessories from Ford and they have the auto dimming mirror, but for some reason they say it is not available for the FEH. Any technical reason why not?

I don't have my FEH yet (they say it will arrive any day now...) but after renting a gasoline model a couple of times lately, I already miss the climate control on my VW Golf. I found that the difference between too cold and too hot in the temp control to be 1/2 click so I could never get it right. I can't beleive that in this day and age they don't have a climate control (forget dual zone) on the premium model.

Cheers,

Roch Comeau
Montreal, Canada

Last edited by rcomeau; 03-06-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Some things I miss, would like to get in FEH

I would like to see radio and CD player controls mounted on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Some things I miss, would like to get in FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands