Snow tires for the FEH/MMH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Snow tires for the FEH/MMH?

I am running 37psi on my Goodyear Triple Treads. Maybe I will increase it by one psi in the future. Snow has fallen again in the area and I will get another chance to evaluate the Triple Treads in several inches of snow this week.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicst47
Thanks, keep me posted. I ordered the fwd MMH, mainly because I wanted the maximum gas mileage that I can get from a MMH. After yesterday's storm, I was second guessing my decision.
I was also somewhat worried about going FWD. I was out all day yesterday 'testing' the performance of my Michelin tires and the FWD Mariner. In general it did very well. We had about 10 inches of snow and a good layer of ice in there somewhere.

I had drive by wire on my last truck and was fairly used to it. With the hybrid its a little different because its faster reving. I had to tax extra care to get started on inclines.

ABS brakes peform ok. I did notice the rear end was a little squirly once and awhile like I need some weight back there. I don't know if AWD would solve that problem or not.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317
I was also somewhat worried about going FWD. I was out all day yesterday 'testing' the performance of my Michelin tires and the FWD Mariner. In general it did very well. We had about 10 inches of snow and a good layer of ice in there somewhere.

I had drive by wire on my last truck and was fairly used to it. With the hybrid its a little different because its faster reving. I had to tax extra care to get started on inclines.

ABS brakes peform ok. I did notice the rear end was a little squirly once and awhile like I need some weight back there. I don't know if AWD would solve that problem or not.
Thanks Patrick. I think that I'll be okay with the fwd. Hopefully all the storms will be gone by the time I get my MMH. We had a foot of snow Thursday and 6 inches, changing to freezing rain, rain, then just icy roads on Sunday. I saw a Dodge Durango on Route 195, on top of a snow bank with the front end ripped off. So I guess there is only so much 4wd will do?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM

I saw a Dodge Durango on Route 195, on top of a snow bank with the front end ripped off. So I guess there is only so much 4wd will do?
What a lot of these dopes don't realize is, a 4WD may go better in the snow but it isn't going to stop any faster than the 2WD version.......

~John

Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
What a lot of these dopes don't realize is, a 4WD may go better in the snow but it isn't going to stop any faster than the 2WD version.......

~John
So true!
Many think they are invincible with 4wd.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 AM

So true!
Many think they are invincible with 4wd.
I have the 4WD and it helps with control some... however, my assessment of the idiots that plow along at high speed thinking their 4WD will save them is:

We all have 4 wheel brakes, and STOPPING is usually your problem in an accident!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks Patrick. I think that I'll be okay with the fwd. Hopefully all the storms will be gone by the time I get my MMH. We had a foot of snow Thursday and 6 inches, changing to freezing rain, rain, then just icy roads on Sunday. I saw a Dodge Durango on Route 195, on top of a snow bank with the front end ripped off. So I guess there is only so much 4wd will do?
Just Icy Roads? This is a terrible condition to drive in, 2WD or AWD. I can handle snow but icy roads are another story.