Siriusly remove Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 04:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Angry Siriusly remove Sirius

I'm not about to start paying for a subscription. There are 3 channels programmed and they all blare commercials 24/7. So just don't hit the button? Well when you cycle through the media on your steering wheel it goes through not just 1 but 3 satellite stations. The quick fix was to unplug the antenna which looks like it could be repurposed for GPS. It still cycles through the at least now blank stations.

I have forscan module editor so I went through the options and turned most sync related things off. I don't want voice commands either. One module had options for cellular radio and satellite radio. I put both to disabled/not equipped. Unfortunately Sirius remains like the bonzai buddy that it is. Voice commands also still work. So I hit the forums and edited my asbuilt.

APIM 7D0-01-01 900C 0000 0075
X00C - is supposed to be SDRS on the reciever.

Tried changing it to 8, 7, 0 and no dice. Nothing changes.

How do I get rid of this thing or at least get rid of the other 2 stations so I only have to flip through it once. I can't believe no one here has gotten into module editing. Especially those that have touch screen navigation. Stuff that did work was turning off lockout while driving, the belt minder and if you want TPMS.

I found a sheet that matches up mostly to the gem in 08-11 escapes. At least it has dark car mode, would have saved me buying a new dome light.
So the info would be in almost any ~2008-2011 ford ACM module decoding. But nobody seems to have made that sheet.

Attached Files

Last edited by ShadyEscape; 05-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Siriusly remove Sirius

Check out this spreadsheet for a 2015-2020 F150. I haven't been able to locate one for a 2004-2012 Escape.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1479139836

Old 05-23-2021, 07:24 AM

More sleuthing: you can access the Ford "As Built" database for your car with the VIN here:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/

Enter your VIN and complete the Captcha, and you get the module programming as your car was built.

Mine is a 2010 with the SYNC/NAV and Sirius. Right now my Sirius is ENABLED but I don't use it or pay anything. I mostly listen to the old fashioned FM radio.

Here's my data for that address:

APIM 7D0-01-01 1000 4000 0029
APIM 7D0-02-01 0255 5300 0084
APIM 7D0-03-01 0000 0000 00DB

Cross-referencing that with the F150 spreadsheet shows that if the Escape system values mapped exactly to the 2015-2020 F150, my SDARS should be DISABLED but it is definitely not.

These are all hexadecimal values that can range from 0-F, so you've got 16 permutations of the first digit to try, assuming the first digit maps to similar functions on the Escape. Since the values don't appear to map reliably between the F150 and the Escape, you're kind of playing roulette. What we really need is the decoder/spreadsheet for these cars.

Update: I found some more As-Built Data repository here, no escapes, though. They do have some 2011 Ford cars, trucks and SUVs. Maybe if you contact those people they have more information since they last updated that page.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-23-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:38 AM

Also, one guy I read suggested changing the parameter that lets you use the NAV system while in motion to ON, basically selecting a different country for the vehicle, which he claims kills the Sirius system. !!

I did a lot of searching on the FORScan forum and it looks like the Escapes have been pretty neglected by the "mod" community.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-23-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:42 AM

I tried those already, including 0 and 1, nothing. I don't think it maps. After '11 the parameters all changed. That focus one matches for GEM at least, 99%. Already turned off lockout while in motion before. What we really need is to find a vin without sirius and then compare asbuilts. Maybe that will do it. At least we have dark car mode. Probably don't support global window but maybe there is bambi mode somewhere. There is a tool that does comparison tool somewhere, then I guess off to autotrader/ebay/etc to find escapes with vins listed.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
What we really need is to find a vin without sirius and then compare asbuilts.
That's the ticket. We need someone out there with a 2009 FEH (and hey, might as well ask for a 2010 also) without Sirius to kindly step up with their APIM module asbuilts and show us what they look like. One of those old "spin the bottle" "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" games we all participated in during middle school.

I don't know whether the Motorcraft 72 hour subscription supplies that data. I kind of suspect that it does NOT or we would already have it.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:40 AM

I guess we're going to be vin searching. Foccus and elmconfig are both incompatible.

Found an 08 without sirius:

Vehicle Num, Module Address, Data1, Data2, Data3, Same?, Binary, PartNumber, Strategy, Calibration
1, 727-01-01 ACM Audio Control Module (ACM), 0500, 908F, 60B4, No, 00000101 00000000 10010000 10001111 01100000 10110100, , ,
2, 727-01-01 ACM Audio Control Module (ACM), 0040, D08F, E0AF, No, 00000000 01000000 11010000 10001111 11100000 10101111, , ,

Top has it, bottom does not: 1FMCU59H28KB08154 But also no USB. Need to find another. 08-09ish

Found it

727-01-01 - 0x00

5 - Sirius Enabled
4 - Sirius not present
1 - ??? + Sirius not present

Hopefully I can find some others as forscan has nothing except radio frequency selection there and maybe voice controls or BT can be disabled, etc.

Last edited by ShadyEscape; 05-31-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:07 PM

That's great, I'm looking in various places for a '10 now. Lots of sites like CarGurus list the VIN with used cars along with pics. of the interiors so you can see the features, narrow it down and cross-check. And we can see that there are plenty of FEH's still out there looking good and apparently running well with ~200,000 miles on the clock.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...-Hybrid-c21104

This one in Van Nuys CA looks pretty "b*tc*in" with 195k but the NAV screen seems to have lost the Blue channel pixels, so it's showing things with a Yellow color cast. (Yellow in RR,GG,BB 8-bit hex RGB is #FF,FF,00 and the display on this car seems to be missing all its BBs but working OK otherwise, so the Blue pixels are AWOL). I'll bet someone could negotiate that ask price down to under $6750 based on that alone, put another grand in the car for various maintenance and drive it another 150,000 miles. SoCal == low rust potential, and if that interior is original it looks like it was owned by someone who cared. The condition of the seats says: "Driven on the 101 and 405 back and forth to Toluca Lake, then once in a while to Yorba Linda. Marvin was not in the back."

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...488_isFeatured

By the way I do know from FTM's video on replacing the EPAS torque sensor for the steering that there is a function to calibrate the steering after replacing the sensor -- at least with the Ford dealer software hooked up -- but I do not know if there's any way to change the amount of assist it provides in normal operation. I don't mind the assist level on my car at low speeds but I would like a little more resistance on the highway.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-31-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:47 AM

I think all 09 have sirius. So that's why I had to go to 08. Wonder what has no voice controls, I'm guessing none of the 09s either. And then really turning off the auto dial 911 thing. Forscan has settings for it but I think it's in the wrong module as they appear to do nothing.

Let's see what it says in the book about calibration. Maybe there is some epas setting in similar cars? The highway is where it gets loose for me too. How much is epas and how much is the wheels spinning too fast.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:39 PM

Well, I went in a different direction, albeit maybe only temporarily. Instead of trying to remove Sirius, and before installing my set of new Infinity door speakers (which arrived look perfect, not so much as a scratch on the boxes), I managed to snag a 3-month full, free trial subscription to everything Sirius - the XMTravel Link, all the radio channels, the whole enchilada. If I told you how, I'd have to kill you, lol.

So for at least three months I'm going to be trying it out with all the various features and I'll judge whether to keep it and pay for it or ditch it.

First impression - just of the SOUND quality:

Point blank, the radio channels are so clear and so digitally perfect - at least to my well-worn ears - that it sounds as though I've already replaced the car's stereo with new hardware. It was a revelation coming from the relatively crappy FM reception and playback in my area. Even through the otherwise mediocre "Premium Sound" system I really had to stand back and sit down at the quality of the sound. What's so impressive is that the highs came back! But not just that: it's the overall harmonics, the depth of the music, from lows to highs, everything is there and plays like a good digital remastering, from "Ozzy's Boneyard" to "The Beatles Channel."

For example, I was listening to some Simon and Garfunkel, "My Little Town" - and I could clearly discern the harmonic resonances and dissonances (the beat frequencies) between Simon and Garfunkel's voices when they sing together. And you can hear subtleties of the instrumentals, whereas everything was getting lost or smeared out with FM. They actually use a little bit of cowbell or some other similar percussion on that song, very subtle, not like "More Cowbell!" I had forgotten that until I heard it today for the first time in - wow - at least 10 years.

Also the bass is TIGHT, meaning that on bass-heavy music, there is no "slop" in the bass and it doesn't sound "bloop-bloop" or overdriven. I turned up the Studio 54 Studio channel and listened to the Purple Disco Studio at mid-to-high volume (I turned my ambient lighting on the Limited model to purple backlighting for this and put on my shades) and I couldn't believe myself, but I was actually groovin' to DISCO -- totally down with the funk. I just needed a disco ball, some loud polyester clothes, and maybe a couple grams of the Peruvian Marching Powder (I keed...., I keeed.....) and BLAM it was 1978 all over again.

This is through the 11 year old speakers, stock amplifier(s) and head unit. I can't wait to put the Inifnity units in this weekend.

I realize that you can do just as well or better with some Android (or other) head units and your own custom setup, and I know that Sirius charges some real dinero for the service, but I can give them this: The music sounds GOOD. It may be expensive, but it's not a disappointment in terms of the sound quality. And it doesn't fade to static every 25 miles, so you find yourself listening to the Charlie Daniels Band overdubbing the Jungle Brothers and have an aneurysm.

My $0.02, YMMV, Yadda Yadda, Over and Out for the next three months at least, that's what I'll be listening to mostly. Satellite radio is superior to FM broadcasting. Hands down, I went back to school.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-25-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Siriusly remove Sirius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands