shutting off at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: shutting off at idle

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Thanks Tim, confirms what I have been thinking. Anyone have the Ford hotline number handy? I need to find a hybrid savvy dealer in my area. I'm moving to Utah soon and I want this resolved before then. I don't want any issues on the roadtrip since Natalie will be driving the FEH.
Jim,

I'm sorry if we have sounded a bit harsh. You are describing your problem from a new user perspective and we have ended up in a sort of Abbott and Costello "Who's on First" skit. It certainly sounds like you have a problem (probably with the PCM) however what we have been trying to get an answer to is "what happens if when in battery mode (before it goes dead), you push down on the gas pedal to the floor (of close to it at least). Does A: the ICE start up or B: the car accellerate as best it can on electric? I would be grateful if you would humour me and answer that question (or C, none of the above). It would really clear things up for me.

I hope you get it resolved. I'm approaching the first anniversary with mine, and other than the sunroof switch having to be replaced, it has been smooth sailing on calm waters.

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Let me offer a possible (only possible) problem, here again is what Jerry reported:

1. Start up in ICE
2. Vehicle switches to EV
3. Vehicle runs in EV for approx 30 seconds then dies. (no warning lights)
4. Restart vehicle with key. car is driven at 20 mph through parking lot of complex.
5. Stop to turn onto main street still in EV only. dies at stop. restart with key. Again no warning light.
6. Turn onto main street. at 40 mph ICE starts and vehicle behaves as normal for the rest of the day.

It sounds to me that the strategy the PCM and Transmission Control Module (TCM) uses to transfer torque to the electric motors during warm-up is corrupted. Normally, the engine (ICE) remains at or near an idle to circulate oil during this part of warm-up while the electric motors propel the vehicle. Jerry is saying the ICE shuts down during warm-up and the FEH runs in EV for about 30 seconds then dies during the stop at some point. The TCM finished its job in the warm-up strategy, but the ICE has been shutdown. The PCM thinks its been told to shutdown during a time it should have remained at an idle till warming up. Jerry has to restart with the key, and the strategy begins where it left off again. The ICE shutdown right away again, and Jerry continues through the parking lot in EV?. Jerry comes to a stop and the FEH is dead again. He restarts, and by this time, the Traction Battery Control Module tells the ICE to keep running because the HV battery very low. The warm-up strategy is no longer needed because the PCM sees the temperature and warm-up time is completed.

Now Jerry takes a warmed-up FEH to the dealership, and they say it's working like it is supposed to. If he leaves it with the dealership and it has time to get cold again, after a few restarts it's back to normal again.

I rest my case, the warn-up strategy is corrupted!

GaryG

Old 03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

I have to admit I'm chuckling a bit as well reading this whole thread.

I think the main problem here is Jerry can't seem to elaborate on what exactly "dies" means. He continues to get more and more detailed in areas that are not relevent, when all people really want is more details surrounding the "DIES" part.

Jerry, I think people would be super happy if you could fill in what is happening with the vehicle, and what exactly you are doing, between the time the car has "died", and the time you decide to turn the key off and on again.

Something like:

"I was sitting at the light and the ICE shut off. The car was still in D. I pressed down on the gas pedal and nothing happened. I looked down on the dash and it was in the following condition - xxxx lights/symbols were on, xxx lights were off. The following climate settings were set. I tried putting the car back in park and then back in drive and still nothing. I banged on the steering wheel and honked the horn for 45 seconds. Finally I turned the key off and back on again and drove away ....."

I'm not suggesting you don't have a problem with your vehicle - you probably do - but you're uncanny ability to continue to answer questions without actually answering them is .. well .. remarkable.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by misterpink
I have to admit I'm chuckling a bit as well reading this whole thread.

I think the main problem here is Jerry can't seem to elaborate on what exactly "dies" means. He continues to get more and more detailed in areas that are not relevent, when all people really want is more details surrounding the "DIES" part.

Jerry, I think people would be super happy if you could fill in what is happening with the vehicle, and what exactly you are doing, between the time the car has "died", and the time you decide to turn the key off and on again.

Something like:

"I was sitting at the light and the ICE shut off. The car was still in D. I pressed down on the gas pedal and nothing happened. I looked down on the dash and it was in the following condition - xxxx lights/symbols were on, xxx lights were off. The following climate settings were set. I tried putting the car back in park and then back in drive and still nothing. I banged on the steering wheel and honked the horn for 45 seconds. Finally I turned the key off and back on again and drove away ....."

I'm not suggesting you don't have a problem with your vehicle - you probably do - but you're uncanny ability to continue to answer questions without actually answering them is .. well .. remarkable.

hilarious! lol

Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

Not Nice.
Are you going to call the Ford mechanic names?

I was trying to prod you in the right direction, so you could maybe see an example of what it was people have been practically begging you for in their attempts to help you. No one asked for, or expected, any greenspeak.

I'm not the first, second, or even third+ person to point out that you seem to have a communication problem in this thread. I was simply agreeing and trying to coax the information - the crucial bit of information that could actually lead to progress in troubleshooting yuor problem - out of you by trying to clarify where the infogap was and provide an example.

I never called you any names, nor have I threatened you in any way. I hope you sprain your wrist restarting your car 20 times on the way to the service department. There. Now were even.

What a great forum so far.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 03-18-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think i summed it up pretty well. Vehicle shuts off, no lights, no warnings. What part of that did you fail to comprehend?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think i summed it up pretty well. Vehicle shuts off, no lights, no warnings. What part of that did you fail to comprehend?
Sorry to jump in, but as was pointed out, your description was vague in a critical area. This has ben cleared up so its water under the bridge, but there was a lot of questions asking for clarification. Mine were never answered for instance, and many were waiting for an answer to remove the ambiguity. I was looking for a simple A, B or C answer and did not get a reply, so I could not help.

I'm glad you found a good dealer, and that you get your problem resolved. I'm confident you will enjoy the FEH despite the early problem!

All the best,

Roch

Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

I really have no interest in arguing with you, that was never my intent. It is already clear that any attempt to try and help you is going to be met by a personal attack on me, whether it be trying to help you with your problem, or trying to help you with your inability to understand that when people ask for a "detailed" description of a problem, or details about a certain portion of a described symptom, they want more than "car go off. light go out."

I really hope you get the answers you need from the new service department you found. I wish you nothing but the best with your new car, I know my wife and I are enjoying ours. Just don't call me names. Thanks.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 03-16-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

yeah, the comment was rude to say the least. i never attacked you either. it was just funny how he spelled out the entire sample, but it was quite good because it showed an example of detail.

i too and new, so i don't know the lingo, but i understand that saying"a car dies" when talking about a FEH is not enough info because there are times when a FEH looks or sounds "dead" but is not.

Is something wrong with everyones comprehension on here,, or more likely your descriptions given? hmm?

anyways, glad you got it worked out. But don't call people names, thats not nice.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 03-16-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't it be easier to say to Jerry:

Jerry, it's a hybrid it's supposed to shut off when you come to a stop or a redlight or whatnot. Thats what they do. It's called auto-stop and every hybrid has some variant of it. It may even shut off shortly after starting it up. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence I'm just not assuming anything.

If however, after it 'dies' you cannot just push the gas and go (meaning don't even bother trying the key) then you've got problems. I think thats why people have been beating their heads against the keyboard.

They want to know if you have tried pushing the gas pedal BEFORE you went for the key. If you have, then thats great, you've got a serious problem with your hybrid. If you haven't then they're saying give it a try. If the car moves and comes to life then you've got a perfectly working hybrid vehicle. If it stays dead then yup, you got somethin wrong.

Just my .02

Jayson

Quick Reply: shutting off at idle

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands