Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should I even bother with a hybrid??

I'm still shopping around for a nice used '09 FEH but haven't found what I want yet. I don't think too many '09s have been turned in yet for lease or upgrades.

But, I'm wondering if I should even bother with the extra hassles of the hybrid since we only drive about 10,000 miles/year and only about 75% will be in the Ford. With that low mileage, I might be better off with the I-4 or even the V6. I don't commute, and most driving is about 50/50 city/hiway. Other mileage is racked up in the motorhome, and that's the gas bill that really hurts!

Any opinions on this issue? Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Some may not agree but "they" saying if you drive less than 15,000 miles/year, a Hybrid isn't for you.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Curmudgeon

IMO, hybrids (regenerative braking) should be mandated. You're helping with independence from fossil fuels/evil empires throughout the world. You can't put a price on sending a good message to your children. If we'd eliminate all the oil subsidies, gas would be $10/gallon, which would make this argument easy.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ford's stop start technology is a nice start.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Jerry-

Here it is in a nutshell.

The first 10 minutes of any drive won't save you gas. You need a hot engine.
Every mile of stop & go after those first 10 minutes will save you 50% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 55 MPH will save you 20% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 65 MPH will save you 10% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 75 MPH won't save you any gas.

This is an ideal car for the residential post man, or downtown Los Angeles driver (or any traffic jam prone city).
It just the same as a gas car for someone who drives all high speed limit interstate.

How you drive determines everything.

HTH,
-John

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Some may not agree but "they" saying if you drive less than 15,000 miles/year, a Hybrid isn't for you.
Well that may be true for a new purchase.
I purchased an 06 FEH at a very good price and for
the last 10 years I typically put about 2500mi/yr on
my vehicle.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

I agree with John. If the majority of your trips are less than 10 minutes, there is no savings in getting the hybrid.

Total miles per year is only relevant if you are trying to calculate the break even point for the higher price of the hybrid vehicle and you want it to be in a shorter time period. I tend to keep mine for at least 8 years, so that really wasn't a fact in my decision.

Not sure what you mean by "bother with the extra hassles of the hybrid"? My FEH has required less maintenance over the last 4 years than any vehicle I have every owned.

Hope that helps!
Rob

Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info so far, still haven't made up my mind. Some of the "hassle" issues seem to be with the AC on warm days, heater on cold days, extra fans and blend door, "stop safely now" problems, plus there is a difference with the regen braking which makes it more expensive for me to hook up a brake controller when towing behind a motorhome. I've also run some numbers, and not considering the "green" issues, the hybrid would save me about $430/yr over the V6-4wd version and about $375/yr over the I-4 or a Honda CR-V. This is using the published mpg ratings, which may vary.

Payback really isn't the entire thing either-for the Limiteds in '09 or 10 they only have the tan (stone) leather and I'd really like the charcoal. Strange they only offer it in the non-hybrid version. None of these things are deal breakers, just more to think about.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Feral Engineer

I've owned a 2007 FEH for 4 years now. I love all the cool technology, but from a purely practical stand point, I couldn't recommend a hybrid over a regular I-4 Escape. Sure you save some gas, but you are driving a fairly exotic low sales volume vehicle that can't be repaired just anywhere. Some of the parts are breathtakingly expensive, like the ABS module, and most Ford dealers don't have a really competent hybrid mechanic, so expect some part swapping diagnosis on your dime if you need to get it repaired.

OK, flame away.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
I've owned a 2007 FEH for 4 years now. I love all the cool technology, but from a purely practical stand point, I couldn't recommend a hybrid over a regular I-4 Escape. Sure you save some gas, but you are driving a fairly exotic low sales volume vehicle that can't be repaired just anywhere. Some of the parts are breathtakingly expensive, like the ABS module, and most Ford dealers don't have a really competent hybrid mechanic, so expect some part swapping diagnosis on your dime if you need to get it repaired.

OK, flame away.
That's exactly how I feel.

The small increase in mpg from the FEH isn't worth the risk of encountering expensive or difficult repairs. Were I to buy another hybrid, I'd get the Prius. The 40+ mpg mileage from the Prius puts it in another league compared to the FEH.

Quick Reply: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands