Should I buy a 2008 Escape Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should I buy a 2008 Escape Hybrid?

Hey fellas,
I test drove a 2008 Hybrid Escape (147K Miles $7200) and I liked it. This would be my first car. Ive done a ton of research on the car and digging in these forums so I understand a bit about this model. My family also owns a Prius so I’m a lil familiar with Hybrid. I want to bring the car to a mechanic for a Pre Purchase Inspection.
What do you think of the car & price?
What should I tell the mechanic to check out?
What should I expect to have to fix if bought?
Any red flags for this specific year?

Also: I noticed the turning switch didn’t auto click back after completing my turns. Steering issue?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/715135472951190/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&refer ralCode=messenger_banner&_rdr

Old 05-05-2022, 04:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I buy a 2008 Escape Hybrid?

It is my mission in life to dissuade people from buying used hybrids unless fully informed, and a portion of my income is derived from servicing hybrids.

Why? Over half of my customers have owned their car for less than a year. Some as few as a weekend.

If you had to spend $3000 in the next 90 days, would you be happy?

If yes, buy the car.

If no, don't buy the car.

Your maintenance risk is sky high.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
It is my mission in life to dissuade people from buying used hybrids unless fully informed, and a portion of my income is derived from servicing hybrids.

Why? Over half of my customers have owned their car for less than a year. Some as few as a weekend.

If you had to spend $3000 in the next 90 days, would you be happy?

If yes, buy the car.

If no, don't buy the car.

Your maintenance risk is sky high.
I definitely expected this answer from you lol. But could you answer some of the questions I asked? Would be really helpful. Thanks

Old 05-07-2022, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Johnbrownies2015
Hey fellas,
I test drove a 2008 Hybrid Escape (147K Miles $7200) and I liked it. This would be my first car. Ive done a ton of research on the car and digging in these forums so I understand a bit about this model. My family also owns a Prius so I’m a lil familiar with Hybrid. I want to bring the car to a mechanic for a Pre Purchase Inspection.
1) What do you think of the car & price?
2) What should I tell the mechanic to check out?
3) What should I expect to have to fix if bought?
4) Any red flags for this specific year?

Also: I noticed the turning switch didn’t auto click back after completing my turns. Steering issue?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...er_banner&_rdr
1. Hate it.
2. Nothing. Take it to someone who knows the FEH/MMH intimately. If you can't find someone, don't buy it.
3. HV Battery replacement, ABS module, throttle body, MECS pump, blend door actuator, battery fans, fuel pump, ignition switch.
4. Yes. It's a high mileage used hybrid with high maintenance risk.

If it's AWD, just run.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Should I buy a 2008 Escape Hybrid?

Originally Posted by Johnbrownies2015
I definitely expected this answer from you lol. But could you answer some of the questions I asked? Would be really helpful. Thanks
Did you buy the vehicle? If so, how is it going so far?

Old 01-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

Here is a follow up, having had read the threads here and found out that the 2nd gen escapes had the A/C assisted cooling for the HV battery has been removed. Aside from the possible shortened life of the HV battery and lack of the jump start feature, what other issues are associated with the 2nd gen?

If you where to buy one for less than $1,000 dollars non op would you?

Old 01-03-2023, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ricmigl
Here is a follow up, having had read the threads here and found out that the 2nd gen escapes had the A/C assisted cooling for the HV battery has been removed. Aside from the possible shortened life of the HV battery and lack of the jump start feature, what other issues are associated with the 2nd gen?

If you where to buy one for less than $1,000 dollars non op would you?
No. I know someone who has bought two non-running, and once he got them running found they had spun rod bearings.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hmm 🤔 yeah also heard that the type of engine is really hard to service. I guess the 1st gen FEH where better?

Old 01-05-2023, 06:48 PM
2009 MMH

I bought a 2009 Mariner over a year ago after my Lexus RX400h was a total loss and used car prices jumped
109K miles, paid $6450 and my anticipated $3000 price to upgrade and fix things turned out to be accurate
$2100 for a better battery, $360 for the AC control valve, $250 for new windshield, and did the rest myself the MECS pump, blend door, sway bar links, and some cosmetic things, $125 for a new steering wheel (huge improvement), new Pioneer head unit with car play and back up camera
So I ended up with a nice Mariner for about $10K and all's well.

Good Luck and look for rust in the wheel wells and rockers

Old 06-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is a car that used for New York taxi. Some of them are above 300,000 miles. The engine was from Mazda duratec, eCVT was from Aisin Toyota and battery from Sanyo/Panasonic. I think the risk is not lots of parts available they sell it expensive but it is a Japanese car hide inside a Ford box. If you can find a good mechanic you should buy it.