Service Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast
Question Service Schedule

I am in Canada, and it seems the service schedule according to the dealer does not match what is in my user manual, or the USA schedule.

In Canada, the only one I found was

http://www.genuineservice.ca/main/de...erviceford.asp
See the 2007, since the 2008 is not there yet.

The USA one can be found here
http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...ault?page=Home

In the USA scheduled service #1 is 5000 miles, or 8000 km, and is mostly tire rotation. The Canadian service #1 is 5000 km and includes oil change.

My manual says oil change is at 16000 or 1 year.

Duncan

Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Schedule

Originally Posted by ve7tcc
I am in Canada, and it seems the service schedule according to the dealer does not match what is in my user manual, or the USA schedule.

In Canada, the only one I found was

http://www.genuineservice.ca/main/de...erviceford.asp
See the 2007, since the 2008 is not there yet.

The USA one can be found here
http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...ault?page=Home

In the USA scheduled service #1 is 5000 miles, or 8000 km, and is mostly tire rotation. The Canadian service #1 is 5000 km and includes oil change.

My manual says oil change is at 16000 or 1 year.

Duncan
HI,

I interpreted it as the fact that the service people can't be bothered to differentiate between the hybrid and the non-hybrid. At my dealer, they have this poster in the wall with oil changes and other scheduled maintenance in 5,000km intervals. On my last oil change, I brought up the fact that they kept puttng the 5k interval on the little reminder sticker on the windshield. I asked them to actually look it up and put the correct number.

My advice is go by the owner's manual or anything else that is obviously hybrid specific. Otherwise, assume it is for the 95% of other cars and ignore it.

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcomeau
HI,

I interpreted it as the fact that the service people can't be bothered to differentiate between the hybrid and the non-hybrid. At my dealer, they have this poster in the wall with oil changes and other scheduled maintenance in 5,000km intervals. On my last oil change, I brought up the fact that they kept puttng the 5k interval on the little reminder sticker on the windshield. I asked them to actually look it up and put the correct number.

My advice is go by the owner's manual or anything else that is obviously hybrid specific. Otherwise, assume it is for the 95% of other cars and ignore it.

Cheers,

rcomeau
That... or the dealership doesn't like the loss of business associated with having you in more often... frankly I think they resist it for that reason.

You'll also note its not just the owners manual that has the longer interval but so does the message center on the dash.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

In reading my 2008 owners guide - the 5000 mile service consists of 2 items -- 1)inspect tires for wear and 2)rotate tires The first oil change is called for at 10,000 miles along with a filter, also inspect and rotate tires and inspect the HV battery A/C filter Seemd like they are more concerned about the tires than engine oil . After 10,000 miles iol chages are called for every 10,000 (16,000km).. Not sure I'll wait that long

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
In reading my 2008 owners guide - the 5000 mile service consists of 2 items -- 1)inspect tires for wear and 2)rotate tires The first oil change is called for at 10,000 miles along with a filter, also inspect and rotate tires and inspect the HV battery A/C filter Seemd like they are more concerned about the tires than engine oil . After 10,000 miles iol chages are called for every 10,000 (16,000km).. Not sure I'll wait that long
As has been stated many times in various threads... a normal car has many more hours on its engine when its odometer reads 5,000 because of all the idling. Thats the reason they seem to be unconcerned with the oil. The odometer reflects the ACTUAL engine revolutions better than a standard engine. As for all the starts, they are all warm with oil distributed throughout the engine. 10,000 miles will do just fine on the FEH.... changing it more often wouldn't hurt anything but isn't really necessary, it might extend the engine life if you plan on keeping the car "forever" but I'll bet the engine wear in an FEH at 10,000 mile service intervals is pretty similiar to a normal vehicle at 5,000 mile intervals.

Unfortunately... the hybrid engine has no effect on tire wear, so you get to rotate them just like normal.

One of the misconceptions on normal vehicles is that the "severe service" schedule for taxi's and such has to do with stop and go city driving that is supposedly harder on the engine... its much more a matter of the fact that with all the idling at intersections their odometers do not reflect the engine hours as well.

Tractors and farm machinery all have HOURS meters instead of odometers for that very reason.... frankly it would be nice if the message center on the FEH had the same.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Okay, as a DIY project, I think I am going to track down, and install an hours meter for my ICE.

The BIG question is,

AFTER HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD THE OIL BE CHANGED???

I'm using Mobil 1, a full synthetic oil.
Can we reach a consensus on how many hours is ideal?
I suspect I will be changing oil once per year, so the same oil will see all 4 seasons. 105'F summers, and -20'F winters.

-John

Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess just check your scangauge data for a few tanks to see what your average speed is. Divide that into Ford's recommended mileage interval. So if you average 40mph, Ford is recommending you change your oil every 250 hours. *shrug*

Old 08-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Brady- I appreciate the input.

However, isn't that the same as just using the odometer?

The point of the hour meter is, the engine is off for some of the miles.
Hence, in theory, the oil needs to be changed less often.
-John

see also:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...nge-oil-15014/

P.S. It is right there in the standard Owner's Manual. Change oil at 10,000 miles OR 200 hours. DOH! I feel like such a nube for not referring to my owner's manual.... dang.... thought I had that thing memorized.....

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-26-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added P.S.