Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Service Engine Soon

I purchased a used 2005 FEH with around 75K miles on it 6 months ago. It has an annoying habit of randomly activiting the yellow wrench sign on the dash and "service engine soon" message. I recently changed the oil (it does not have the oil change message option). That didn't help. I took it to the local Ford dealer who said it needed new plugs and a tune up and replacement of the battery fan. I took the car to my mechanic who performed these services (at 1/3 the cost of the Ford dealer). That didn't help. My mechanic put his scope on it and he said that no fault messages came up. He told me to just ignore the message. But it still pops up periodically and is very annoying. This happens for a couple of days straight about every 3 or 4 weeks and then turns itself off. The car works great and gets terrific gas mileage.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Service Engine Soon

Probably the traction battery blend door actuator. Do a search on this site using "wrench light".

Mine does the same thing. I finally ordered a new actuator today from Rock Auto for $20.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was thinking the same thing.

I believe there's a DIY thread posted here.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

i think u shud refer to any manual or service center,
they will help you properly

Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks all. I researched the threads and that is exactly what I need, a blend door actuator. What fries me is when I took the cdar into the local Ford dealer they did not identify that problem and tried to sell me $2,000 worth of "service" including a $700 "tuneup." They said the error message must mean the spark plugs!!!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

I have this issue appears many times, I tried to remove HEV filter (battery filter ), ether replace it or clean it using air flow and restore it and the error is goon

Old 10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by sameer talal
I have this issue appears many times, I tried to remove HEV filter (battery filter ), ether replace it or clean it using air flow and restore it and the error is goon
My wrench light went off just by turning the key on and off. But eventually it came on more and more often. I don't think cleaning the filter is what turned your wrench light off.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by travelover
My wrench light went off just by turning the key on and off. But eventually it came on more and more often. I don't think cleaning the filter is what turned your wrench light off.
I've had my blend door light coming On and Off in my '05 for 30,000 miles and have never seen any effects from it including battery performance changes. I've seen real blend door problems and they've all made clicking or snapping shut noises or allowing to much heat in from the radiator core while the A/C was On. I've changed my battery filter a number of times and the blend door light was never affected by that.

Sometimes my wrench light comes On to a point I think I might have to fix it with a new actuator but then it clears up and I may go months without seeing it again. Same thing but much less often I get an emission code PO420 and that will stay On till I clear it with my SGII. I can clear that code within 10 seconds after the code is set with the SGII, but it will not reset by cycling the key. I bet the Ford dealers have made a bundle on glitches like these. I've even had false information from my SGII and called the inventor Ron Delong. Ron said it was due to a computer glitch and this happens all the time. Every once in awhile my tank average speed will read above 60mph and I'll write it off as a computer glitch.

GaryG

Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
I've had my blend door light coming On and Off in my '05 for 30,000 miles and have never seen any effects from it including battery performance changes. I've seen real blend door problems and they've all made clicking or snapping shut noises or allowing to much heat in from the radiator core while the A/C was On. I've changed my battery filter a number of times and the blend door light was never affected by that.

Sometimes my wrench light comes On to a point I think I might have to fix it with a new actuator but then it clears up and I may go months without seeing it again. Same thing but much less often I get an emission code PO420 and that will stay On till I clear it with my SGII. I can clear that code within 10 seconds after the code is set with the SGII, but it will not reset by cycling the key. I bet the Ford dealers have made a bundle on glitches like these. I've even had false information from my SGII and called the inventor Ron Delong. Ron said it was due to a computer glitch and this happens all the time. Every once in awhile my tank average speed will read above 60mph and I'll write it off as a computer glitch.

GaryG
Back when DesertDog was still here, he had me punching in numbers on my SG-II. A SEND command responded with something from another one of the other guages that was set up for 4WD! That why I sometimes question posted responses from a user that has three of them running at the same time. There's just so much data being transmitted at the same time that things get mixed up at times.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I just replaced the blend door motor and still had the wrench light come on constantly. ( as is was before I changed it ) I had to take it to the dealer to reset the error code. I disconnected the 12V battery hoping that would clear it, but it didn't. It had 3 error codes in it......Blend Door, Emmisions, and Battery Jumper. ( battery jumper is all I know to call it )The battery jumper was on a recall but was completed before. It has been about a week and so far no wrench light.

I have a scanguage but need to learn more about it to reset the codes myself