Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

For some of the reasons outlined above....

I ALWAYS take my SG out of the car if I take it to a dealer FOR ANY REASON.

Now that my car is past warranty for everything except the battery and CVT and DC/DC converter ( the only 3 parts with extended "hybrid" coverage ) there will be very little chance of me taking it to a dealer.

However, I have had persistent trouble with all my A/C "freon" leaking out 3 times already... so even when I go in for A/C service, I removed the SG in the past.

I'd like to hear more details about the DashDaq if you have time to post.
I've see the web site, but I'd like to hear how it works with the Hybrid specific functions.

The "Black Box" of years past only holds the past 15 seconds or so of data before a collision event, so investigators can recreate the conditions of the accident. ( Speed, gear shift position, brake pedal position, etc. ) If newer ones hold more, they don't hold much more. Not much "big brother" yet....

Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the Scangauge is properly designed, there is no issue with having it connected. It will not affect performance so long as it does not have the ability to command changes to programming or something. The Ford engineers that did the design work and those that deal with it routinely know this. Stand your ground with the dealers.

There are those out there who purchase computer interface stuff in order to change the programming. If you do that, it is fair for Ford to refuse to handle something brought on by it. But(!) changes in the software will be detectable by Ford and can only be determined after hooking up to the system and reading out the programming.

So when you get that BS from someone at a dealer simply respond that you made no changes to software or programming and if they want to make an issue of it call the Ford folks who know the software.

On the other hand, just disconnect & remove it when you take it in. It avoids the tussle with people that may not understand the details.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I'd like to hear more details about the DashDaq if you have time to post.
I've see the web site, but I'd like to hear how it works with the Hybrid specific functions.
I'll have to get some screen shots and post a mini-review, maybe this weekend.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, the engine light came on again tonight on the way home from work. Haven't had the SG hooked up, not even to check the code. Back to the dealer tomorrow!

-- Rick

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM

In an earlier post it was said that the Ford people monitor these posts and will keep notes on what is said and track it with the VIN of your car.

Where has that been said? In an official source?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Ford employees have told some of us ( including me ) that they read these posts on their lunch hour, just like the rest of us, to gain some insight and feedback. They also told me, it is against company policy for them to make posts in any "official" matter since they are not authorized company spokespeople. Which makes sense. My company has a silimar policy.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
In an earlier post it was said that the Ford people monitor these posts and will keep notes on what is said and track it with the VIN of your car.

Where has that been said? In an official source?
A Ford employee posted on Blueoval.com in the Escape forum that part of his job was to monitor post on these boards. It caught my eye because when my '05 FEH had problems with the relays, Ford was having the tech e-mail pictures of my engine compartment and knew I had a history of posting on various sites. Ford was looking to see if I modified my FEH to be a plug-in or had altered the programming in my PCM to increase mileage. The service tech and advisor both were told to ask direct questions of me on these issues and said they know I won the '07 MPG Challenge at Hybridfest. I had to explain I used Debbie Katz '05 FEH in that Challenge and her FEH was not modified either. Until Ford found out that a incorect code was showing the HV battery was bad and it was not, they continued to investigate modifications. The tech said Ford requested him to send the bad relays to them, but he said they were my bad relays and that would be my decision.

I did not say Ford took notes and tracked VIN numbers but I have said if you post your name don't go posting information that would violate your warranty. This would be like using E30 gas, 0-20W oil, changing the exhaust system, changing the intake system or using an unapproved ATF in your eCVT. I can assure everyone that these thing do not improve mileage and may damage your FEH and reduce MPG.

GaryG

Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 PM

GaryG,

These are the words in your post on page 2 that I was responding to:

"I can't believe you would risk you new FEH engine and emission warranty by running anything above E10. Your name on the sig page makes it easy for Ford to put a note with your VIN number for future service and warranty issues. Ford employees have stated they monitor these boards."

I inferred from these words that they did track by VIN & name.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Another update: They did a "smoke test" on the exhaust system today to check for leaks and did not find any. They are waiting to hear back from Ford now so I won't get it back till early next week.

The service rep said he thought the next step would be replacing the exhaust manifold.

-- Rick

Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
GaryG,

These are the words in your post on page 2 that I was responding to:

"I can't believe you would risk you new FEH engine and emission warranty by running anything above E10. Your name on the sig page makes it easy for Ford to put a note with your VIN number for future service and warranty issues. Ford employees have stated they monitor these boards."

I inferred from these words that they did track by VIN & name.
Your quote of my words is correct but note I said "Your name on the sig page makes it easy for Ford to put a note with your VIN number for future service and warranty issues." My point was you make it easy by having your real name here and stating your doing something that would void your warranty in a post. I guess where I disagreed with you was I said "make it easy" and you said "and will keep notes".

In my case, I never posted I was plugging-in my FEH or ever suggested I reprogrammed my PCM for better mileage. Yet my mileage history had Ford looking for reasons why when I had what appeared to be an HV battery failure. I guess I made it easy for Ford to assume I had modified my '05 FEH.

It is also no accident Ford has put in the '09 FEH owners manual not to shut-off the engine (FAS) while moving. However, Ford has reprogrammed the '09 FEH to run the SoC low in city driving like I've always done to improve MPG. I have a proven method of increasing MPG and Ford has no problem with it.

There is a small group here pushing ethanol over 10%. If I was Ford I'd monitor that group and their vehicles for engine and emissions problems. Who knows what red flags will go up with Ford with any issues so I go with the manuals to keep my warranty good. Anyway, the stock vehicle seems to perform for me the best.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands