Seriously, WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 09:18 PM
HY Novice
Angry Seriously, WTF?!?

Hello, my fellow Hy-Birds! I apologize, profusely, upfront if I do this wrong. This is my first hybrid and my first attempt at a thread or post or whatever you want to call it, I just CAN'T read anymore about the feh's (every single one to page 52) and still not see what I am dealing with. So, here goes nothing...
My FEH is a 2008 4wd 2.3l U59
He has 88,623 miles on his odometer
He starts up like a champ, provided the 12V battery is full
He has been in storage for approx. 3 years having gone less than 15 miles during that time. His ssn came on at the beginning of the 3 years, he turned off, and was stored until I came upon him 10 days ago. His problems were/are abs light stays on/battery 12v drains in 40 minutes when driving or overnight, if parked. The person I bought him from said the abs was replaced and that was about all they had tried to do. They had other non-hybrids and weren't trying to waste any more time/money. I bought a brand new battery and wow...for 40 minutes. Then the ssn and nothing but a red battery on the dash. Check break system is always what my feh tells me, occasionally spicing it up with regen breaks disabled. Again, he will start and do almost everything he's supposed to, provided the 12v is full. I bought an obd2 bluetooth scanner and went with FordSys Free as the app... and inCardoc for a double check. Below is the result and the reason for my WTF title....

This is the only part that doesn't seem right to me. I'm getting nothing when I try to look it up. Still, NOT a Dodge part so.....

​​​​​Any clue as to what or where I go from here? My only thought is the dc/dc converter but, I have the jumpstart button, too. Thanks for, at least, getting to this point. Any input is very much appreciated, even if your input is already somewhere else, please re-input that input for my sanity, here. Thanks again, Desiree

Old 05-02-2021, 04:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Seriously, WTF?!?

You have abs codes and you are looking at a part of your a/c system. HFC 134a is a refrigerant.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Seriously, WTF?!?

I’m not a mechanic, but here are some things I might try:

Use a voltmeter to measure the 12V battery, confirm if it’s drained or not. If drained, connect it to a standard 12V battery charger and try to fill it back up. If it won’t fill, disconnect the positive battery terminal and charge again.

Once the 12V battery is full, start the vehicle and measure the battery voltage again, it should jump up to 14V if the DC/DC converter is working.

If that works okay, try looking for a source of a current leak in the 12V system. With the vehicle off, try hooking up the voltmeter to the 12V battery again and methodically pull out each fuse in the fuse box one at a time and see if the voltage increases slightly when one is pulled out. This may indicate a current leak on that circuit. The voltage change might be more apparent after the battery has drained a bit.

Also with the battery charged, check that the MECS coolant pump is working, it seems to be something that commonly fails in these vehicles. It cools the DC/DC converter and if not working then the converter may overheat and shut down, although that wouldn’t explain the 12V battery draining when parked. The MECS pump is under the radiator and you should be able to feel it vibrating when the key is on and engine is off. There are several youtubes showing how to check and replace the MECS pump.

Good luck!