Scangauge mirror mount!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Post Scangauge mirror mount!

Check it out... looks nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blend...spagenameZWDVW

Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Scangauge mirror mount!

Great idea! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM

Looks like the people at Scangauge are having problems with their data storage interface, so I gave up and my new SG 11 is on its way without it.

Looking at this SG mount, I'm not sure I want it located on my mirror for safey and changing display reasons.

The ugly SG 1 has been temporary on my dash and has served its purpose, but I'm now looking at a professional looking installation. Can any of you take a picture of your location of the SG 11 for recommendations or explain where you put it? There is no question the SG is needed for monitoring your mileage and finding out what works or not, so I'm planning on a permanent location this time. The SG 1 is going in my '02 Explorer on a temp basis as soon as the SG 11 gets here.

GaryG

Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Can any of you take a picture of your location of the SG 11 for recommendations or explain where you put it? GaryG
I put mine here Gary. It is hard to see but fits very good here. I don't look at it as much as you do! I really only wanted it for the water temp gauge, the rest is a bonus.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by braced
I put mine here Gary. It is hard to see but fits very good here. I don't look at it as much as you do! I really only wanted it for the water temp gauge, the rest is a bonus.

Looks like a good lacation out of the way, but your right, I need the SG for more than you use it for. Coolant temp here has not been a big concern for me.

Thanks for the picture of your location because I'm sure others will use it for their location. I need my SG to be located like the original manufacture would put it for usage, safety and liability. In other words, in the normal line of sight and not viewing away from the road like the rear view mirror has always been a problem. Maybe I expect to much for control and viewing, but I'm hoping for some help here.

GaryG

Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have mine velcroed to the flat area right in front of the miles to empty & shift indicator displays. I really don't need that info & it's still visible if I need it anyway.

That puts the SG right there in the dash cluster & I use it constantly.

~John

Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Hi Gary --

My ScanGauge is still temporarily mounted in that little "dished out" area of the dashboard right above the NAV screen. I had originally planned to put it on top of the steering column, between the 2 message screens, but it's a little to wide & high, & blocks parts of both screens. I've been thinking of putting the permanent mounting on the dash right in front of the steering wheel, but I'm not sure if it will stay put on that slightly curved surface.

Sorry, I don't have a picture for you

Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd say that to keep it in your line of sight the two best locations are either just above the radio (you'd have to pull it out to see if there is any room up there to recess-mount it. If you replaced the factury headunit with a single-DIN aftermarket you might have the perfect amount of room for the SG

Or you could mount it to the dash on the far left side where the dash dips down. Depending on your eyesight you could push it all the way forward so that it meets the windshield.

Here is where I currently have my Sirius unit mounted.....

Last edited by Tim K; 03-01-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I'd say that to keep it in your line of sight the two best locations are either just above the radio (you'd have to pull it out to see if there is any room up there to recess-mount it. If you replaced the factury headunit with a single-DIN aftermarket you might have the perfect amount of room for the SG

Or you could mount it to the dash on the far left side where the dash dips down. Depending on your eyesight you could push it all the way forward so that it meets the windshield.

Here is where I currently have my Sirius unit mounted.....

Hi John, Debbie and Tim

Tim, I'm glad you posted a picture of the Tach and Speedo because I just mounted mine and took it for a test ride to see how I like it. It's dark here so the dash lights were on, but so far I'm very please with this location.

Look through Tim's steering wheel at those two screw holes under the top of the steering wheel holding the instrument cluster to the bottom of the dash. Those holes and existing dash mount are just the perfect lenth for a bracket to hold the SG. I took a 3/4" wide X 1/16 flat piece of alumium and made a bracket to hang from those holes. The bracket is shaped somthing like this T______T and replaced existing screws with longer screws to hold the bracket under the top of the dash. I cut out a piece on the bracket so the plug going into the SG would fit. The SG slides into the bracket from the back and fits firmly in place without velcro. Did not have to drill any holes in the FEH, just added longer screws to the existing dash mount location. The SG hangs down and does block just the top of the Tach and Speedo, but I sit high on the sit and can still see the lines for the RPM and Speed. It's perfect to read and adjust settings on the SG while keeping your eyes on the road at the same time. The cord wraped twice around the steering column out of the way, and is the perfect lenth to then plug it into the OBD 11 conection.

As soon as I can, I'll post a picture of it. I will most likely paint the braket black to match the SG and the dash, but it doesn't look that bad now. BTW, I used a vise and a hammer with a rag for protecting the metal to bend the flat aluminum and a jig saw to cut the bracket for the plug. Used smaller head screws so they would allow me to get close to the bends because the screw distance just makes it for the length of the SG and bracker thickness. I don't think I'm going to find a better place and still read all the gauges. Anytime I can remove the SG and bracket and replace the original screws, and no one would know I mounted anything. It will not fall down because of cheap velcro and is mounted firmly for those bumps from my tire pressure either.

GaryG

Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My SG is right about the same place Tim's Sirius radio. The wire is run down the side and is invisible. Easy to see while driving. Pretty much a "heads up" display, and easy to push buttons. Sits there with velcro and had not moved in about 14 months. ( original SG obviously )

Quick Reply: Scangauge mirror mount!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands