Scangauge II xgauges normal values

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Scangauge II xgauges normal values

The latest upgraded scangauges allow us to track additional vehicle details.

However what are the normal ranges/values for some of these items? Traction battery voltage and temperature, eCVT Temperature and coolant water temperature come to mind?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scangauge II xgauges normal values

The PC/ED manual has typical values for various operating conditions. This requires cross-referencing the PID from my list to the names in the manual.

SoC obviously should stay in the 40-60 range, although this morning mine went up to 80.3!! Never have seen higher than 60 before. EV'd for about 3 miles back down to 40.
TBV should be in the 300-340 range, but when my SoC went to 80.3, the TBV went to 368.
MeT should be in the <140 range, CHT should be ~200, CAT anywhere up to 1400. LFT should be +/- 3 or so depending on RPM,load, etc. If |LFT| goes above 20 or so a code will be set. MY MxC is usually around 47.5 and the MxD is around 67.5. I have seen different numbers on an 06. FRT is around 100 usually for me. MDV has ALWAYS been zero, but I have seen 0.1 to 0.2 on an 06. eCVT temp is usually around 140. All the temps will likely be lower once summer ends here (very close now.)

Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Carl, I am pretty sure the numbers you are getting are not correct.
I think you may have the PID correct, but the scale and offset wrong.

The numbers you get do not match the numbers I saw in a 2007 testing with Hybrids Plus in Boulder, CO.

Hybrids Plus has more sophisticated monitors than the SG.

In all their testing, and the days that I was there I put the 2007 through virtual hell trying to max out many values, we never ever got a SOC higher than 60.5 and never ever lower than 35% IIRC.

Even keeping all the fans and headlamps on, and ICE off, SOC never ever dropped lower than 35%. At 35%, the car put all load on the 12v battery. Coming down the steepest, longest mountain you can imagine, using all the tricks, like L gear, FS, regular brake, etc... SOC was never higher than 60.5 %.

Your charge and discharge amps are incorrect also, or at best, do not match the 2007. These limits change with temperature, but at room temperature, these limits ( both ) should be 78 amps.

TBV when driving has a normal range of 240 volts to 420 volts.
TBV when at rest *( car off ) should be 300v to 350v.

-John

Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Carl, I am pretty sure the numbers you are getting are not correct.
I think you may have the PID correct, but the scale and offset wrong.

The numbers you get do not match the numbers I saw in a 2007 testing with Hybrids Plus in Boulder, CO.

Hybrids Plus has more sophisticated monitors than the SG.

In all their testing, and the days that I was there I put the 2007 through virtual hell trying to max out many values, we never ever got a SOC higher than 60.5 and never ever lower than 35% IIRC.

Even keeping all the fans and headlamps on, and ICE off, SOC never ever dropped lower than 35%. At 35%, the car put all load on the 12v battery. Coming down the steepest, longest mountain you can imagine, using all the tricks, like L gear, FS, regular brake, etc... SOC was never higher than 60.5 %.

Your charge and discharge amps are incorrect also, or at best, do not match the 2007. These limits change with temperature, but at room temperature, these limits ( both ) should be 78 amps.

TBV when driving has a normal range of 240 volts to 420 volts.
TBV when at rest *( car off ) should be 300v to 350v.

-John
The SoC and TBV scaling is 100% correct. It is from FORD documentation.
I have stated in other posts that I was not sure about some things. MxD and MxC are two of them, along with DMV. I am not sure MxC and MxD are even in amps, could be watts but I doubt it. Both vary with temp and SoC. MxC goes to zero during warm up on occasion.

Again, as I have stated before, the ICE turns on when SoC drops below 40% when warm and off around 42%. ICE charging stops at 53% SoC when warm. Regen gets SoC to 60% but only an unusual event like SoC re-calibration or battery re-balancing gets it above that. You have referenced this behavior yourself. Since I can monitor battery flags, I was able to see that my case of 80.3% was SoC re-calibration. If you start out with a cold engine and SoC at 40%, SoC will drop as low as 32% before forcing the ICE out of its warm-up idling. PERHAPS the 2007 doesn't behave the same way, but I know that 2005 and 2006 FWDs in Phoenix do this.

What you see in the Hybrids Plus work is irrelevant, unless they have Ford's PID monitoring tool. PIDs (and hence xgauges) are NOT monitoring normal bus communication. They are a requested diagnostic that requires the computer to go out of its way to respond. They are at the back of the line and can be ignored altogether if there are more important things for the computer(s) to be doing. BTW, I also have diagnostic tools other than the SG, and SoC and TBV agree with my scaling.

If you want to change the scaling on your xgauges, fine. I know what I have is correct, at least for most of them, that is.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Calm down Carl...

When I monitor Max. Discharge CURRENT with a tool other than a SG, I get 78A when my battery is less than 36'C. Hotter than this, and the number goes down. Perhaps your battery is always hotter than 36'C?

When measuring CURRENT I only assume it is amperage, a conventional unit of measure. And 78 amps x 330 volts equals 25,700 watts, and 25kw is published in many Ford documents as the max. discharge current allowed. Sure, more is possible, but 25kw is what is allowed.

If anyone gets a number other than 78A when your battery is at 25'C to 35'C, then you may wish to check if the conversion math is correct.

Did you try this in the cool at night? I only assumed you had.
-John

Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
The SoC and TBV scaling is 100% correct. It is from FORD documentation.
I have stated in other posts that I was not sure about some things. MxD and MxC are two of them, along with DMV. I am not sure MxC and MxD are even in amps, could be watts but I doubt it. Both vary with temp and SoC. MxC goes to zero during warm up on occasion.

Again, as I have stated before, the ICE turns on when SoC drops below 40% when warm and off around 42%. ICE charging stops at 53% SoC when warm. Regen gets SoC to 60% but only an unusual event like SoC re-calibration or battery re-balancing gets it above that. You have referenced this behavior yourself. Since I can monitor battery flags, I was able to see that my case of 80.3% was SoC re-calibration. If you start out with a cold engine and SoC at 40%, SoC will drop as low as 32% before forcing the ICE out of its warm-up idling. PERHAPS the 2007 doesn't behave the same way, but I know that 2005 and 2006 FWDs in Phoenix do this.

What you see in the Hybrids Plus work is irrelevant, unless they have Ford's PID monitoring tool. PIDs (and hence xgauges) are NOT monitoring normal bus communication. They are a requested diagnostic that requires the computer to go out of its way to respond. They are at the back of the line and can be ignored altogether if there are more important things for the computer(s) to be doing. BTW, I also have diagnostic tools other than the SG, and SoC and TBV agree with my scaling.

If you want to change the scaling on your xgauges, fine. I know what I have is correct, at least for most of them, that is.
Carl, you have to read how John is wording things. Notice when you says SoC can drop to 32%, and he says it doesn't ever drop below 35%. This is how people get confused here. John questions your numbers, then states the lowest SoC with the ICE off. You are clearly talking about the warm-up strategy with the ICE at or near idle. Everything you have stated seemed to correspond with my understanding of what is happening during these events.

You deserve the credit of giving this and many other groups better gauges for allot less than the Ford Nav sys at over $2600. After talking to you and then talking to Ron Delong at Scangauge, I knew you guys could really do allot for FEH/MMH owners now, and many other vehicle owners in the future. Ron is the inventor of the SG and SG11, not a mere user. You are working with an inventor and thanks so much for what you've done so far. We have been trying to figure this problem out for over 2 years, so I think you made a bunch of people happy.

I'm still recovering from the $1250 the dealership needed to fix my FEH, but the new SG11 will be on my dash soon if there are any left.

GaryG

Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I also need to thank Desert Dog and Ron (Linear Logic) for the updated scangauge II hardware. It is simple to install, use and provides more infomation than I ever had available in a vehicle before. Posting the "normal" values for many of the x-gauges helps all of us.

Another question(s): what is the normal range for the water temperature "FWT"? Is this just for ICE component and/or does this include the electronics cooling radiator temperature?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
I also need to thank Desert Dog and Ron (Linear Logic) for the updated scangauge II hardware. It is simple to install, use and provides more infomation than I ever had available in a vehicle before. Posting the "normal" values for many of the x-gauges helps all of us.

Another question(s): what is the normal range for the water temperature "FWT"? Is this just for ICE component and/or does this include the electronics cooling radiator temperature?
Both systems are coolant systems and are separate from each other. The ICE coolant system max is cooler than most (~181F), and the electronics coolant system is cooler than the ICE system.

Thanks to Carl, I'll soon know the best temperature for control of the electronics.

GaryG

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, Desert Dog, thanks for all of the work you have done!! It is marvelous!!