?'s Concearning Winter Driving.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ?'s Concearning Winter Driving.

I had to use the FEH to jump my F-150 a few days ago. My truck was so dead that there was nothing at all when I got in, not even the little old interior light. As soon as I hooked the cables up my underhood light shined brighter than I've ever seen it and I was able to start my truck right up after only a few seconds of having them connected. Quickest jump I'd ever seen from a completely dead battery.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It was so cold this morning, that my MMH would run in EV mode with the windshield defroster 'on'.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
It was so cold this morning, that my MMH would run in EV mode with the windshield defroster 'on'.
Yea, same here. When I went out this morning, it was 12º here.

My FEH will EV with the defrost on in that weather also, although not for very long.......

~John

Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
For the 2008 FEH (and MMH?) the internal jump start button is behind a triangle shaped pull panel that is located on the driver's end of the dash. You should see the panel finger hole clearly on the left when you have the drivers door open.

Please read the manual regarding the use of the internal jump start button. I believe that if you are not patient after pushing the button and keep pushing it (like one would for the call button on an elevator to make it come quicker ), the process will not finish correctly.
Anyone have knowledge how the pushbutton, wait 8 minutes, process works to "charge" the HV battery so it can start the ICE?

Does it warm the HV battery, or does it actually charge the HV battery using a higher voltage than then battery?

I haven't had the need to do this, but I'm curious. Perhaps if I can get time, check a few things when the engine is cold.
1-Turn key on, check HV Bat voltage, State of Charge, and Battery Temp with SGII-xg.
2-Turn key off.
3-Press the button, wait 8 minutes
4-Turn the key, and recheck TBM, SoC, Tmx.

Perhaps this would explain how the 'Jump Start' feature works. ALWAYS CURIOUS about the FEH hybrid beast

Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The button does NOTHING,... zip.... zero.... if the HV battery is within "normal" limits. And normal enough to start the car is 30% SOC.

SO you would need to get the HV battery below 30%... and one person had an SOC in the 20's and it still started fine. SO maybe 25% is req.

There are electronics involved, and there is a shoebox size box in the back battery, so a 330v step up is likely, and heating with the internal heaters is also very likely.

I don't know if anyone with a new SG has ever been able to test this, since no one usually has a battery below 25% ( or wants to ).

-John

Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by KenE
Anyone have knowledge how the pushbutton, wait 8 minutes, process works to "charge" the HV battery so it can start the ICE?

Does it warm the HV battery, or does it actually charge the HV battery using a higher voltage than then battery?

I haven't had the need to do this, but I'm curious. Perhaps if I can get time, check a few things when the engine is cold.
1-Turn key on, check HV Bat voltage, State of Charge, and Battery Temp with SGII-xg.
2-Turn key off.
3-Press the button, wait 8 minutes
4-Turn the key, and recheck TBM, SoC, Tmx.

Perhaps this would explain how the 'Jump Start' feature works. ALWAYS CURIOUS about the FEH hybrid beast
Sorry, but this will not warm the hybrid battery sufficiently. I'm sure John (GPSMAN1) has already posted this information.