Roof racks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof racks

Well, the preliminary results are in and it looks promising. I filled up last night and my tank average was 33.0 which is about normal EXCEPT for trips where I go out to Springfield (100 mile, all highway, 30 miles or soo of steep grades, all 70-75 mph). That trip normally kills a tank by 1-2 mpg. I made the trip back this afternoon, a/c on and the meter showed 32.5 when I got home. Now, to further the experiment I have to go back tomorrow and will come back Sunday so I will have 300+ miles of this tank all being high-speed, highway driving.

If this tank is where I think it is headed, I'll be quite happy. Not that I do a heck of a lot of highway driving and I don't think the roofracks make a bit of difference at lower speed, but either way, they are staying in the garage unless and until I need them.

To be continued....

Old 08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof racks - Mirrors

I kind of wonder about those big ugly mirrors Ford gave us. They seem to stick out into the slipstream pretty far and make a lot of noise. I am tempted to fold them back and see what impact that has on mileage.

Of course a wash and a good wax job would probably help alot too.

Chris Brown

Old 08-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof racks

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Every little bit helps. (I wonder if I could get by without those pesky side mirrors?)
Great minds think alike I guess.

I could easily get by without the right-hand mirror since alot of my older cars didn't/don't have one. My '65 Mustang only has a driver side and it is about the size of a quarter and I do okay. Maybe some morning driving out to Springfield when there is no traffic (tomorrow maybe?) I'll give it a try.

I wonder how long before there is a clinical/psychiatric term for those of us obsessing on our mileage.......really though, I can stop anytime....