Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I have owned several cars with on board mpg calculation, as well as rented over a dozen different makes and models in the past 5 years.

ALL OF THEM OVER-ESTIMATE MPG. ALL OF THEM.

so yes, it is on purpose!
-----------------------

Not for me. I rented a Ford Fusion for 2 weeks in Utah recently and didn't have this problem at all (I have always 'tested' my car rentals against about 10 miles of mileposts to be sure -- and one time it was the other way around, the odometer read low, so the rental agency was actually being cheated). And I have a 2010 FEH and it is pretty close to being bang-on. I also know the speedometer is correct because my neighbor is a state trooper and we took it and tested it at various speeds (we just 'shoot' the pavement in front of the car -- works great). Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Last edited by RiverRat37; 03-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

You misunderstood.

ALL CARS overestimate MPG.

This can be and often is irrespective of the odometer.

My Honda Insight odometer reads high by 5%. Honda was sued, admitted the problem, and extended warranty coverage to all owners by 5 %. Dash reads 65 mpg. Actual is about 61 mpg.

My FEH reads 40 mpg on the screen. Actual is 37 ish. Miles are on the money.

I just drove a Uhaul Ford E-450 truck on a well established, well traveled route.
This truck UNDER recorded miles by 53 miles out of 1250, and recorded 8.1 mpg when actual was 7.4 mpg.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-15-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Something to consider is the MPG calculator does not look at fuel tank level.
If there are evaporative leaks, this would contribute to inflated mpg calculations.
But I see this across all makes and models. New and older.

I think also the MPG calculation does not compensate for ethanol and various fuel blends...
(there are over 50 flavors of gasoline used in the USA alone)

I think the MPG calculator assumes so much fuel per revolution and counts revs.... Which does not compensate for rich or lean conditions... Gas with ethanol makes the car run a little rich full time.

So while there is no proof the MPG calcs are purposely high.... There is proof the majority, the vast majority read higher than actual. This could be due to the fuel.

Also the "EPA rated MPG" on the window sticker used pure gas... no additives, no alcohols, no oxygenates. Which makes those numbers inflated compared to real world.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Interesting to hear that. What year and model of the FEH do you have? What model and size tires? How far off is the speedo?
I have noticed this as well. It is low by about 1 MPH at 70 MPH. I notice it if I check speed on my GPS.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

You say your speedometer is off by 1MPH @ 80. ??? That's 1-1/4 percent. Do you really believe you can read your speedo to that fine a resolution going 80MPH (and what are you doing driving 80 and not looking at the road!) It seems unlikely to me. Esp. the 1/4% part! Even if you're right I wouldn't call that "off". I would think that the wear on tires could cause that much difference. Life is not perfect. Usually not even close.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRat37
You say your speedometer is off by 1MPH @ 80. ??? That's 1-1/4 percent. Do you really believe you can read your speedo to that fine a resolution going 80MPH (and what are you doing driving 80 and not looking at the road!) It seems unlikely to me. Esp. the 1/4% part! Even if you're right I wouldn't call that "off". I would think that the wear on tires could cause that much difference. Life is not perfect. Usually not even close.
Actually, 70 MPH. And yes, my GPS was mounted in front of the clock and read out the actual speed. It was not dangerous at all to glance at it while on the interstate with the cruise control on.

I'm not complaining or anything, just commenting that my 2008 FEH is also off a bit on the speedo.

Last edited by stevedebi; 03-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I hear you. I wasn't doubting the GPS. I was doubting that you could read the speedo to that resolution. 1.4% ain't much. For my money, I'd say that 1mph @ 70 is still bang-on. Nuff said.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRat37
OK, I hear you. I wasn't doubting the GPS. I was doubting that you could read the speedo to that resolution. 1.4% ain't much. For my money, I'd say that 1mph @ 70 is still bang-on. Nuff said.
I actually don't mind, since it puts in a buffer so that I'm positive I'm not speeding...

Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
If you look at Michelin's own website, you can see they still list two different 235/70-16 Latitude Tour tires, one is lighter and more expensive (Michelin part# 24051), I'm assuming that is the Escape Hybrid tire.
However since the Escape Hybrid has been out of production for almost 2 years now, it is quite possible that Michelin no longer manufactures the LRR version under Ford OEM contract which could be why Ford dealers no longer carry them.

No, the lighter and more expensive one is the blackwall variant. The cheaper, heavier one has raised white outline letters.

The size for the FEH has never been listed as having "Green X" technology. I personally confirmed this with Michelin immediately prior to purchasing the Latitude Tours. I purchased them based on reviews here and on TireRack and in large part because I was interested in reducing unsprung weight. They've been excellent tires.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
No, the lighter and more expensive one is the blackwall variant. The cheaper, heavier one has raised white outline letters.

The size for the FEH has never been listed as having "Green X" technology. I personally confirmed this with Michelin immediately prior to purchasing the Latitude Tours. I purchased them based on reviews here and on TireRack and in large part because I was interested in reducing unsprung weight. They've been excellent tires.
Keep those Tours at 55psi because the thin sidewalls and light weight will give you the longest life and best MPG. Handling is best also.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands