Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Yes, I can put it on Max A/C to keep the engine running and the compressor. I just wonder how much of a hit I take on my MPG by doing this. Thanks for all the input.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you really wish and have the money.

Buy a 3000 watt PSW inverter and run a cannibalized 12,000 BTU window A/C compressor. 3000 watts for starting, only ~1000W for running.

You could even bypass the inverter's 12 volt DC-DC upconverter section by coupling in the hybrid battery voltage.

A 3000 watt MSW inverter would be a LOT cheaper but more care in selecting the A/C compressor would be required.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rsbrown
Yes, I can put it on Max A/C to keep the engine running and the compressor. I just wonder how much of a hit I take on my MPG by doing this. Thanks for all the input.
It is comments like this that make me wonder if you understand the FEH.

In order to make the engine stay on at stop lights, you turn OFF the ECON button.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
It is comments like this that make me wonder if you understand the FEH.

In order to make the engine stay on at stop lights, you turn OFF the ECON button.
Thanks for the flames stevedebi but you do not know what you are talking about on my particular model, I am new to the FEH but not an idiot. I do not have an Econ button on my 2006 FEH, only the orange settings on the dial which keep the engine running. Others on this forum have been helpful but your comments make this forum less appealing to try and gain a little more out of our machines.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
If you really wish and have the money.

Buy a 3000 watt PSW inverter and run a cannibalized 12,000 BTU window A/C compressor. 3000 watts for starting, only ~1000W for running.

You could even bypass the inverter's 12 volt DC-DC upconverter section by coupling in the hybrid battery voltage.

A 3000 watt MSW inverter would be a LOT cheaper but more care in selecting the A/C compressor would be required.
That is an interesting idea, i have been thinking about looking for a totaled out 2010 for the newer AC compressor and possibly the NAV unit.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Imported from Detroit

Thanks for the flames stevedebi but you do not know what you are talking about on my particular model, I am new to the FEH but not an idiot. I do not have an Econ button on my 2006 FEH, only the orange settings on the dial which keep the engine running. Others on this forum have been helpful but your comments make this forum less appealing to try and gain a little more out of our machines.
Yeah, you tell him! They(stevedebi) have made comments like that before, as if they knew everything the day they were born!

Last edited by wptski; 06-23-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM

My apologies, as you note from my sig block (upper right), I have a 2008 model. And I did not intend to "flame" anyone, that is not something I intentionally do, ever. In fact, I have a single person on my "ignore" list so as to NOT be tempted to comment back to him.

Thanks for the information on the 2006 model - I am learning too! I almost bought one (in 2006), but backed out at the last moment. It was the amount of body roll that stopped me. Had I tried the AWD I think I would have bought it. I have an AWD now and it is much stiffer than the FWD. Pre 2009, there was no RSC, so it was of concern to me.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, it will use more gas if you leave the compressor running. I generally do it when the family is in the car, because my wife and son simply cannot handle the heat. But as I have used the FEH more, I find that it is simpler to just enjoy the vehicle, and I use the A/C more than I used to. My mileage is probably a bit less, but so what, it isn't the end of the world.

Last edited by stevedebi; 06-23-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
Yeah, you tell him! They(stevedebi) have made comments like that before, as if they knew everything the day they were born!
Sir:
Respectfully, I do not find this comment constructive or instructive. My knowledge is based on my experiences with my 2008 FEH, and the only reason I check this forum is to be of help to people. Occasionally I make mistakes in my posts, but that is pretty common to most humans. Anyway, please do not lump me in with the mysterious "they". I'm not sure to whom you refer.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM

That is an interesting idea, i have been thinking about looking for a totaled out 2010 for the newer AC compressor and possibly the NAV unit.
I'm not sure if they changed the wiring harness for the Gen 2, but my understanding is that they definitely changed the Nav in 2009. My point is I doubt that your wiring harness would work.

Also, the firmware is not set up for running an electric A/C, that would produce unknown software results.

Anyway, if you do find that totaled 2010, be sure and get all the wiring...

May I ask what is your current lifetime MPG? Is all this potentially worth it? After all, there is no such thing as a "free lunch"; that electric compressor will run down the Gen 1 battery very quickly (the Gen 2 has a different electrical system which provides increased capability). And when the battery goes down, the engine comes on...

Last edited by stevedebi; 06-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Sir:
Respectfully, I do not find this comment constructive or instructive. My knowledge is based on my experiences with my 2008 FEH, and the only reason I check this forum is to be of help to people. Occasionally I make mistakes in my posts, but that is pretty common to most humans. Anyway, please do not lump me in with the mysterious "they". I'm not sure to whom you refer.
Actually, I should have left the "they" out, meaning just you! It has nothing to do with your knowledge, it's the way you talk down to people. I remember one post where you told a member that he doesn't belong under the hood!!

I was going to comment about your rude reply to RSBROWN myself but held off but I'm glad to see that he spoke up. We both saw the rudeness in your post.

Quick Reply: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands