Recall 07B48

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Recall 07B48

I received a recall letter back in August 2008 for this recall. We made an appointment at the local Ford dealership and took the vehicle in. They kept the vehicle for a full day and then told us that the part was not in stock and that they would call us back when it was received. We took the vehicle home and placed the recall notice on the side of the refrigerator. After a couple of weeks we forgot about the recall and never received a phone call informing us that the part was received. While moving the refrigerator, we found the recall notice. I called the dealership and they informed me that the recall expired and there was nothing we could do because it was not a safety issue. In reading other posts it appears that this problem consists of the sudden shutoff of the vehicle. After 85,000 miles we have not experienced the shutdown. However, we do a lot of highway driving, this appears to be a safety issue to me if the vehicle shuts down while we are doing 70 in the interstate. Is there someone at Ford I can speak to regarding this issue?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Recall 07B48

There's a Toll Free number in your owner's manual.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Only "fixing" it for free has expired.

I'm sure a dealer out there will do it for a fee.
Is this the battery wire harness that can corrode?

If you live in a dry or semi-arid climate away from the salt-water coastlines, the modification, if this is the one ( battery wire jumper ) is probably, unnecessary, but you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure this was the recall on the HV battery harness. I went through it recently. You may have luck badgering the dealer about fixing it under warranty recall parameters, but I would doubt it unless you get Customer Relations involved (the toll-free number is useful only for the FMC drones who look at the computer and tell you what the canned response is supposed to be) and can show them that the dealer failed to follow up after telling you they were going to order the parts. Otherwise, when it happens, expect to pay at least $200-$450 to get the work done. Look at my thread (Stop Safely Now Insight).

I got feedback from several folks on the forum who helped me out when it happened (and it will, at the most inopportune time) and ended up saving some money in the long run.

In anticipation of paying for it, check to see if you can find a dealer with a mechanic who knows hybrids (not just "qualified" to work on them). The dealership I was working with had the latter and programmed my FEH incorrectly and I had to have him re-do it. IT affected the mileage significantly until it was corrected.

Hope this helps.