Rear Window Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Window Issues

So the rear window (on the back gate) used to open up on its own when I used the remote or hit the "glass" button. However, after about 6 months of owning the car, it has stopped. Now, it will unlatch and stay down until I give it a nudge. If I immediately shut it and use the button/remote to reopen it, it will open up all the way on its own, like it should.

It's still under warranty, but I just wondered if this was a common issue. Is it the hydraulics that are messed up, or does it need lubrication?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Rear Window Issues

The gas cylinders are sensitive to cold weather. I'd wipe down the rods with silicon spray and see if it is better. Definitely worse in winter, OK in summer for me.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips. I noticed it starting in September, so maybe you are right. But even on 70 degree days it's going on. I will wipe them down.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

When did Ford add that "feature"?
This is the first I heard of "automatic opening" rear glass.

2005's don't have that. Is that new for 2008?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

Not sure. Basically, there are the "open glass" and "gate" buttons on the back (the glass one is also on the remote). You hit the button and the window will raise all the way open. The issue I am talking about is it unlocks and pops open, but does not raise up without a nudge.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Also,

You could apply a light coat of silicone spray to the rubber gasket with your finger. The amount will be small enough not to harm the rubber, but will keep the glass from "sticking" to it when it's been closed for awhile. This was a trick we did to the door gaskets on cars up North in the winter........BEFORE we moved to the sunshine state.

08FEH

Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
N/A

Ya Ford products now come with a trunk button on the key. It's got a little icon of a car with the trunk open and the symbol "2X" on it. You press it twice and the trunk opens. On the SUVs it opens the rear glass. It's really handy and I use mine all the time.

Below about 60° it just unlatches the glass and you have to nudge it open. In warmer weather, the gas struts will raise the glass open for you without a nudge.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

aGDevil2k-
It's a cold thing. Mine won't open either and in order to get the whole liftgate up I have to push it hard. If I just open it normally, the liftgate goes up about half-way. Normal trunks have this problem, too, at least up here. Since all my cars have had the problem, I've just gotten used to having to help the opening along. It does make it a bit difficult if you're carrying an armload of packages, which tends to happen this time of year.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Well, thanks to arctic ice melt and global warming we will have opening windows year round soon!

Yay. The destruction of the earth will bring some positive benefits.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Look at how much gas we waste in winter... like 25% more.

Global warming is only going to be a good thing!
( probably )

Quick Reply: Rear Window Issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands