Radiator fans on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Radiator fans on all the time

SOLVED (I think)
I found a post either here or on the escape-city board that talked about fan problems that were caused by the low pressure switch for the A/C. Well that is located right up in the corner of the engine compartment near the thermostat. So I checked and pulled the plug on the low pressure switch and checked the wires and plugged it back in and 'lo and behold' the radiator cooling fans are back to normal. I'm guessing they bumped either the plug or the wiring and my checking on it fixed whatever was wrong. Another high priced trip to the dealer avoided.....
===================================

\/ Original post \/

Since having my thermostat replaced last week, my radiator cooling fans come on any time the key is on (and NO I don't have the heater controls set to A/C or Defrost). Everything else seems to be normal and working OK.
Does anyone know if there is a sensor up in the thermostat area that might have gotten unplugged while working on the thermostat and that's causing this?
Nothing seems amiss up front.
Any other ideas?

Last edited by us035976; 11-02-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: found solution to problem
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Radiator fans on all the time

Interesting problem and fix. Thanks for posting both!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Radiator fans on all the time

Frankly that's odd. A low pressure switch keeps the A/C compressor from running with little or no refrigerant in the system and damage it. That cools your battery pack as well but keeping the fans running wouldn't help cool the battery pack. Unless my thinking isn't correct??