Question, anyone with a '21-'22 FE PHEV

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question, anyone with a '21-'22 FE PHEV

Looking to get a new plug in Escape hybrid. My 2006 escape ybrid ceased being road worthy after I gave it to one of the kids and he ran it without oil. It was still going strong with dents, the center info console out, no radio marginal air, but still running at 275,000 miles. Even after it threw a rod it still ran, I kept it around with a 2500 watt inverter hooked up to as self propelled generator on property for a couple of years before we decided it was more eyesore than benefit. Somebody bought it for $500 rod knock and all and drove it away.
Thinking now is the time to get another one, but I want a PHEV that go like 37 miles on a charge. Was reading alot about it but one thing I did not understand, on a long trip, can regenerative braking and the ICE ALONE fully recharge the electric drive battery or do you really have to plug it to fully recharge it? Also, related question, if you never plug it in, how does the vehicle behave? (I would plug it and go electric mode as much as I can as often as I can, just trying to understand a little more how it behaves)

Old 09-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question, anyone with a '21-'22 FE PHEV

Everything I've seen paints the new escapes as difficult to work on and way less reliable. Past 2012 I'd go with some other hybrid. Maybe check what taxi companies are using.

I can't imagine that they would force you to plug in to finish off the battery. Just with the larger battery it might be cheaper/faster to top up at night. Otherwise the ICE wold have to run and run and run. You would hope there is some control over that: i.e a charge mode and an efficient mode.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question, anyone with a '21-'22 FE PHEV

Don't buy the plug-in Hybrid unless you only take short trips and can recharge at home. Buy the full Hybrid version that ultimately derives all its energy from burning gasoline. It's a BETTER configuration and still gets great mileage. If you ONLY make short trips with the car, the plug-in Hybrid makes sense. I wouldn't buy one, myself.

The Plug-In version has been described as "infuriating effiency" which is more grief than I want or need.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-f...ciency-443636/

The 2021+ cars are easier to work on than the 2013-2020 versions from what I have seen. Go to a Ford dealer and take the full Hybrid version out for a test drive - I think you'll find it's the better car, especially if you anticipate needing extended range. My $0.02.

Last edited by AlexK; 09-09-2022 at 01:18 PM.