question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast
Question question

Last night I went to the Nascar race in Richmond in my FEH. After the race I was stuck in traffic for about 30 minutes. Most of the time I was on electric and the motor was not running. Once in awhile, I would say about every ten or so minutes, the gas motor would turn on while we were sitting still. It would run for a few minutes and cut off. Is there any reason why it would do that?

Also, I recently made a trip to NC. I used to cruise control for part of the trip, but I found the engine really revved up going uphill and that I did better if I didnt use the cruise control on those stretches of road where there were hills. Is it better to use cruise control or not?
Thanks,
Anne

Old 09-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Rick - Las Vegas
Default Re: question

Even at a stop, the gas engine will come on from time to time when the 300 volt battery needs a boost.I find that my use of speed control is selective, much like you described. Depending on the grade, it is sometimes best to use your own sense of what is best. You might also keep in mind that if your speed drops below 10mph while climbing a grade with speed control engaged, it will shut itself off and return you to manual speed control. Hope this was of some help, and enjoy your vehicle!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

The ICE was running to recharge your batteries. It will do that even if you aren't moving.

As for the cruise, I think I've seen the same thing. I seem get better mileage without using cruise. I haven't experimented enough with it to be sure, but it really seemed that way on one of my longer trips.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

It *may* have been a low HV battery that caused the ICE to come on, but most likely it was because the temperature of the system (most specifically the catalytic converter) dropped and needed to be brought back up to operating temperature.

This is important because in order for the ICE to start up and shut off readily and without damage, it needs to be up to temperature. However, it's more important for the catalytic converter to be up to temperature so the hybrid system can fulfill it's other main goal of reduced emissions.

The longer you use the FEH, the more questions like this will come up. This forum as well as others like the Hybrid Ford Escape Yahoo! group have plenty of info/answers (in fact, it's almost a little scary how deep the knowledge goes).

Old 09-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by randykato
The longer you use the FEH, the more questions like this will come up. This forum as well as others like the Hybrid Ford Escape Yahoo! group have plenty of info/answers (in fact, it's almost a little scary how deep the knowledge goes).
LOL indeed.

It seems your first question has been answered. As for the Cruise Control, I'd say it depends on what you're doing and where you're doing it. Generally if you know your route, and there's no big level changes and you're going with a bit of speed, use the CC. If you're going somewhere like a mountain range, then you're better off not.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Newgreenie:

___I looked up Richmond’s temps from last night off weather.com and at it didn’t look to warm with a 62 degree F low. You weren’t using A/C by chance were you? That will start up the ICE to recharge the pack every once in a while. If you are sitting for tens of minutes on end, just shut it down via key to avoid a start because of a CAT light off temp and/or A/C use and leave it off is always the best policy. If it were 90 degrees and in the day time sun, then you definitely have comfort issues w/out A/C

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net