purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

I think you have set yourself up for disappointment.

If you really need the fuel efficiency then you need to consider another vehicle. If you need the utility of an SUV - then you need to compare the costs of owning the FEH to every other comparable non-hybrid in your price range, in the winter - don't compare it to what some EPA sticker says and don't do some silly return-on-investment calculation for the extra $$ you feel you spent on the FEH.

[Just go get a used 2007 4-cyl (all gas) Escape, which will (surprise-surprise) drop its fuel efficiency in the winter, just like any other vehicle]

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

Originally Posted by Bill1227
well ..... I found out today that my fav. Mobile gas station does use 10% Ethanol and I used it for a full tank off E plus another.

took a 85 mile trip down the expressway today and did 28.6 overall while cruise @ 65mph. Through sections of 55mph it stayed over 30 mpg...........this is with the 10% ethanal. My new General Grabber tires are @ 35psi.

Once off the highway the ev mode worked better than ever around the small town to dealer.........after that trip.

Dealer has it (needed to go in for other anyways) and will check out the pumps,dampers,etc. Goal - see if my in town and semi rural mpg can improve. May just be the short trips for such, very cold temps,hilly,4x4,ethanol,tires.........us (wife and I) combo.

I did learn the double charge tech. for cold starts and it seemed to get me in ev mode much sooner. Just seems that it should stay in ev mode longer. I can't get a "mile or two @ 25mph". Lucky to get 1/2 - 3/4 mile @ 10mph.

Will see what the dealer says......
Your tires are not helping. The FEH comes with tires that support higher MPG.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Your tires are not helping. The FEH comes with tires that support higher MPG.
The General Grabber HTS are low res. / high milliage tires, just not ultra low res. There is little differance from factory issue. There is a thread here on them.

When it snows one needs some traction. Ultra high mpg / low res. tires that don't grip well in snow will burn more gas. There was not snow on the roads prior for testing but, snow is common here with about 12'-14' per season average. Today it's back to snow and covered roads in fact.
Simular topic, if one runs ultra high psi in ties w) snow covered roadsm = less grip = more spin = more gas used. I am running 35 psi on the new Generals til winters over. After that I will bump the psi up.
I really don't think it's these mild treaded new tires.

Thanks for the thought and time though.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast

"and don't do some silly return-on-investment calculation for the extra $$ you feel you spent on the FEH."

If you buy a high effeciancy furnace or boiler it costs more than a low effeciancy same. In some cases MUCH more. Now,,,,,correct me if I am wrong but your suggestion is to not do some "silly" return on investment for the extra $$ spent on the F.E. Hybrid as compared to FE ICE ?

Personally, I don't buy a hybrid to save a tree, be green, etc. I do it to take all I can away from middle eastern oil ****** that would just as soon spit on the USA.

If it cost extra to get this I expect solid results for my extra $

Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

Originally Posted by Bill1227
Personally, I don't buy a hybrid to save a tree, be green, etc. I do it to take all I can away from middle eastern oil ****** that would just as soon spit on the USA.

If it cost extra to get this I expect solid results for my extra $
Your furnace analogy misses the point. The FEH is not installed in a static situation, therefore when you measure its performance against the promise of its performance - you have to take into account the impact of numerous variables. Or, (like I suggested) you can eliminate the variables and compare your observed FEH performance against an alternative vehicle under the exact same conditions. When your 2007 4WD FEH is getting 20mpg during the winter, a 2007 4WD V6 FEH would be getting 15mpg in the same winter conditions. A 33% increase in FE. That is the solid results that you are paying "extra $" for. Or, compare against another vehicle. All vehicles take a FE hit in (cold) winter conditions.

Lots of folks dismiss hybrids because they are measuring them against the number on the EPA sticker and not against the vehicle they would be driving instead in the same conditions. Likewise, most ROI calculations done on hybrids are too simplistic.

Again, if FE is your most important factor, you might want to consider a hybrid car, the FEH is a truck. [You do know that Canada is the largest oil importer to the US and that OPEC only accounts for 20% of the yearly US consumption.]

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Glen, I understand your point on the FEH.

In regards to oil however. Thats true but Canada produces little oil.

Top OPEC Crude Oil Producers (in million barrels per day)
  1. Saudi Arabia … 9.35
  2. Iran … 4.09
  3. Venezuela … 3.13
  4. Kuwait … 2.57
  5. United Arab Emirates … 2.38

Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

Update - Brought the FEH 4x4 back from the dealer today. Averaged about 27.5 mpg on the way home while still emptying the tank of 10% ethanol that all the local Mobile stations appear to run now L Found another local station chain not running 10% ethanol yet which we are switching to and should fill up at tomorrow.

Good report with service manager this week gave me needed confidence. His hybrid tech. tested out the system and he also was very in tune with it. The emcp (motor coolant pump) tested out positive and working properly in multi tests. He also got 2 miles out of it on a flat to slightly decline ideal road in ev mode. It is the old style mcp which I will likely personally change out down the road along with a coolant swap (vehicle @ 70,000 miles currently).

Dealer also replaced a broke tie rod end that I pointed out to them at nc. Wheel bearings were good.

Still running 35psi on the General Grabber HTS and will likely stay there for winter. If anything I may bump up to 40psi. Won’t likely hypermile drive but will take it easy.

This is my wives daily driver and she really likes it. We realize short runs in cold winter weather are not going to have good mileage.

Dealers detail department did a very good job buffing out the black vehicle with out getting any swirl marks.

Will update with fuel mileage after we run a tank or two of the non 10 ethanol. Dealer service department noted that fuel has been having a unfavorable affect on many vehicles lately and not just, but certainly including unfavorable fuel milage.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I skimmed through this thread but didn't see how many miles your trips were, or your location and air temp. I've owned a 07 MMH 4x4 for about a month now. My Daily commute is 10mi. each way. It's been below freezing here in st. louis for practically the entire time. I ave. 28mpg. Outside temp seems the biggest variable. I also learned to
let the engine heat soak before I get off the highway leg of my drive, This was the biggest factor affecting me. at times with the heat on when I exited, the ICE would stay running. I had thought warming the cabin temp up would help heat the battery, not so evidently on such a short ride. As said the battery temp. affects the battery capacity and ability to stay in EV. I even get better MPG on ride home since it's warmer out.
As said, compare it with ICE 4x4 escape and you will appreciate the difference.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by subdewd
I skimmed through this thread but didn't see how many miles your trips were, or your location and air temp. I've owned a 07 MMH 4x4 for about a month now. My Daily commute is 10mi. each way. It's been below freezing here in st. louis for practically the entire time. I ave. 28mpg. Outside temp seems the biggest variable. I also learned to
let the engine heat soak before I get off the highway leg of my drive, This was the biggest factor affecting me. at times with the heat on when I exited, the ICE would stay running. I had thought warming the cabin temp up would help heat the battery, not so evidently on such a short ride. As said the battery temp. affects the battery capacity and ability to stay in EV. I even get better MPG on ride home since it's warmer out.
As said, compare it with ICE 4x4 escape and you will appreciate the difference.
I've found the best way to heat the HV battery when it's cold outside is to Pulse and Glide from 40mph to 30mph in "D". In "D" you get just the right amount of regen to charge the battery and warm it at the same time. A combination block heater/battery heater in the '07, '06 and '05 FEH can also work.

It does not get all that cold here but I've used the P&G while the engine is running during warm-up in the morning to go EV the fastest. This technique also gives me better FE and reduces drain on the battery during the warm-up strategy while the timing is retarded. This technique is great in hot and cold weather so I use it all the time as traffic permits.

GaryG

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

Just thought I would provide a update here to those that helped me.

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN GREAT WITH THE 07 ESCAPE HYBRID !!!

You were all right in regards to the cold temps back then.

We are know longer hyper mileing and the all wheel drive Escape is 28 mpg locally, hills etc..........just like they say it should. Everything EV mode related works great. The tires worked out great. Had it in snow back when and it was great awd system.

About the only hyper mile thing we tend to do is keep 5 extra psi of air in the tires and do the low gear thing for awhile first thing in the morning to boost the pack quicker so she goes e.v. quicker (works great).

I also ended up with a 07 Fusion 4 cyl. and overall it does better than that does especially rural and in town. On the hwy the fusion will pull 31mpg but the Escape is right there with it.

LONG LIVE THE FORD ESCAPE HYBRID.........ITS AWESOME !!!

Thanks again

Quick Reply: purchased used, high milage, 2007 f.e.h. - 4x4 so far so good/report

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands