Pulling the PTU Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Pulling the PTU Fuse

Originally Posted by crabby_bob
wptski:
You seem to be the man who can gather documentation.

Would you have a wiring schematic of the fuse block in the passenger kick panel? In my '07 MMH, fuse #35 disables both 4x4 and the seat heaters. In later models, fuse #35 controls the 4x4 and the power steering. Following general fuse wiring guidelines, I assume that on the back side of the fuse panel on the output side of fuse #35 is two wires, one for the seat heaters and another for 4x4 in '07 and earlier models and in later models one for power steering and another for 4x4. Basically what I am looking for is the wire color for the 4x4 on this fuse for in both '07 and earlier and '08 and later. Would be an excellent place to wire in a switch with very minimal effort.
You want the wire color for the fuse on the load side of the fuse only?

If that's what you mean:

'07 F18 DG-LG, F35 GY-YE
'08 F11 BU-RD, F35 YE-GY
'09 F11 BU-RD, F35 YE-GY

Last edited by wptski; 08-18-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
The important thing to keep in mind, remember, IMO, is that these are base FWD vehicles. Upon detection of loss of traction on the front wheels due to engine torque, leading or lagging (engine compression braking), and in the FEH case possibly due to regen braking only at the front, nothiong less than EXTREME meassures must be made to most quickly restore front wheel/tire traction.

That's why these FWD & F/awd vehicles are now equipped with a TC off function switch. Without the ability to switch off the TC functionality it is designed to be so agressive in restoring front traction that oftentimes you end up stuck in place.
Not sure if AdvanceTrac with RSC was in the FE/FEH before '09, both of which have a switch.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"Bill Winney:
There is "only" one Ford Workshop manual that explains PTU/4WD operation, nothing different or special for a FEH."

wptski: you know full well that I have the shop manuals, which by their design address all Escape models, and that I reference them carefully... is there something that made you post the above statement?

It is a waste of time unless your goal is something other than contributing to finding the answer.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
"Bill Winney:
There is "only" one Ford Workshop manual that explains PTU/4WD operation, nothing different or special for a FEH."

wptski: you know full well that I have the shop manuals, which by their design address all Escape models, and that I reference them carefully... is there something that made you post the above statement?

It is a waste of time unless your goal is something other than contributing to finding the answer.
I don't keep a database of who has what. If you indeed have the manuals, you have the info at hand that states that the PTU is powered all the time. Your OP implies that you don't understand this fact or somehow you think the FEH is different, it isn't unless the Ford manual is wrong.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
"Bill Winney:

"..PTU/4WD operation.."

Other than indirectly, regen braking occurs ONLY on the front wheels so the rear drive coupling MUST be disengaged at that time.

And I find it much more cost effective to subscribe the the shop/repair manuals/documents online.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
That's why these FWD & F/awd vehicles are now equipped with a TC off function switch. Without the ability to switch off the TC functionality it is designed to be so agressive in restoring front traction that oftentimes you end up stuck in place.
This was a 'problem' with vehicles such as the AWD HiHy/RHh, which would not allow someone to spin their tires out of mud or snow. Its debatable if spinning tires is really helpful for traction anyway.
This 'freeze' doesn't happen with any year 4WD FEH because its 4WD operation is only permanently defeated by pulling the fuse, which is what this topic was about in the first place I think.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by D-mac
This was a 'problem' with vehicles such as the AWD HiHy/RHh, which would not allow someone to spin their tires out of mud or snow. Its debatable if spinning tires is really helpful for traction anyway.
This 'freeze' doesn't happen with any year 4WD FEH because its 4WD operation is only permanently defeated by pulling the fuse, which is what this topic was about in the first place I think.
Not so. The Ford Workshop manual states that the ABS module can take control of the 4WD module under certain driving conditions but doesn't state what condition that may be.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
"..It's debatable.."

Not if what you're actually trying to do is "rock" the vehicle back-and-forth to get out of a deep rut/depression. And spinning will often work if the slippery layer is thin eough that spinning the tires will "bit" through or even melt it away.

Last paragraph loses me completely.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Not so. The Ford Workshop manual states that the ABS module can take control of the 4WD module under certain driving conditions but doesn't state what condition that may be.
Well. first you must determine what functionality the "ABS module" really has. Personally I think and believe it to be ABS, TC, and VSC (stability control).

For instance if TC activates (F/R) it will automatically dethrottle the engine AND begin (moderately??) braking the slipping/spinning (front?) wheels. That will require disabling of the rear drive coupling (4WD) in order for the front braking to not be "reflected"/coupled to the rear wheels.

Same is true of stability control, in orde to "control" the front wheels vs the rear the coupling must be disengaged.

And, or course, ANYTIME the brakes are being used the 4WD coupling MUST ne disengaged.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 AM

"I don't keep a database of who has what. If you indeed have the manuals, you have the info at hand that states that the PTU is powered all the time. Your OP implies that you don't understand this fact or somehow you think the FEH is different, it isn't unless the Ford manual is wrong."

wptski: We've interacted enough for you to know...

Stop such behavior, it's self aggrandizing. Of course it's powered all the time, unless one pulls the fuse, which is the issue at hand, or did you miss that in the title?

Last edited by Bill Winney; 08-23-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulling the PTU Fuse

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands