possible engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default possible engine problem

Alright so today i noticed a potential problem with my escape. When i go to accelerate not even being on the throttle hard i notice that it seems to be "over revving". When i am at around 60mph my rpm gauge is at 5000 rpm's+. Is that wrong? like should it be over revving that much???? Also when i let off the throttle when i reach 55-60 mph i notice a gurgling noise coming from the engine.

Any help will be great,

~Kevin

Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Default Re: possible engine problem

Originally Posted by cooperk851
Alright so today i noticed a potential problem with my escape. When i go to accelerate not even being on the throttle hard i notice that it seems to be "over revving". When i am at around 60mph my rpm gauge is at 5000 rpm's+. Is that wrong? like should it be over revving that much???? Also when i let off the throttle when i reach 55-60 mph i notice a gurgling noise coming from the engine.

Any help will be great,

~Kevin
Hi Kevin

It could be many things such as poor fuel quality (ethanol and water mixed), lost of electrical motor assist (overheating - bad electronic coolant motor) or a timing issues with the PCM or even mechanical. I recently notice high RPM problems and wrote it off as the change from straight gas to E10 here in a FL mandate. My problem was not as bad as yours though.

GaryG

Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Kevin, I see you're new to posting on this forum. How long have you had your '05 FEH?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cooperk851

Any help will be great,

~Kevin
First thing that comes to mind is throttle position sensor, but that's just a stab in the dark. Do you have any messages in the message center (SERVICE SOON, etc.) or other lights on like the wrench light? What happens when you come to a stop, does it idle OK? How's the fuel economy, has it dropped like a rock? Do you have a scan gauge or some other scanner to check for codes? Does it do the revving with and without cruise control?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
First thing that comes to mind is throttle position sensor, but that's just a stab in the dark. Do you have any messages in the message center (SERVICE SOON, etc.) or other lights on like the wrench light? What happens when you come to a stop, does it idle OK? How's the fuel economy, has it dropped like a rock? Do you have a scan gauge or some other scanner to check for codes? Does it do the revving with and without cruise control?
Every once in a while when i go through a intersection it seems like i am driving a 5 speed and i popped the clutch cause it starts bobing. And after it does that a service soon light comes on. On a fill it says that i should get about 315 miles or so. My dad has one of those hand held to scan for problems but we do not have the appropriate disk for it unfortunately. But alright i would probably make sense for the throttle position sensor to be screwed up because my car has been through alot(also answering the other guys question on how long i have had it) lest go back to 2005 when we first got the car. my dad is an avid fixer of totaled hybrids we currently have 9 prius's that we are working on and this escape. In 2005 we fount my car on ebay and it was a victom of a drunk driver toll over accident. We found a 2001 ford escape xlt body that had doors and was in good condition. We switched over all of the parts from the wrecked 2005 hybrid body and put them in the 2001 body, it took us 3 years as a weekend project and we even got sidetracted for a few months here and there. But last september (september of 2008) we finally put her on the road for the first time since we had it. Now it is a 2001/2005 ford escape hybrid that has 20000 miles on it. So that i know of we are the only owners of a 2001 ford escape hybrid.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

This sounds similar to a recent problem on my wife's '08 FEH. On a HOT day, the engine at times seems to lose power at acceleration and have higher than usual rpms. Only noticed this recently as the weather is getting hotter. Took it to the dealer today and low and behold, they can't replicate the problem. Go figure.

I have noticed it a couple of times, but it only happens intermittenly and goes away quickly as you press the gas more. Borders to me being unsafe especially if you are pulling out in traffic or something and you press the gas and don't get the same response that you are used to.

If anyone else has had this problem and knows a solution or was told by a mechanic that it is 'normal', please let me know.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 06-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You can tell a lot with a $169 ScanGauge.
You can't tell much from the verbal descriptions given thus far, sorry.

A) running the A/C saps power ( and the A/C can run without you knowing it to cool the battery pack. )

B) If the battery pack is over a certain temperature ( and I don't know what that is but somewhere between 100 and 140 degrees ) the battery for the most part disconnects, and you are driving without it....

C) If SOC is too low ( unlikely ) the car will need to drive on gas only

D) If there is some error or malfunction, the car may drive on gas only

*Driving on gas only ( I've done it once or twice ) makes a DRAMATIC difference. No power, and snail like acceleration under 25 MPH.

Driving with the battery disabled was worse than driving with a 3000 pound trailer behind me.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

A) running the A/C saps power ( and the A/C can run without you knowing it to cool the battery pack. )

B) If the battery pack is over a certain temperature ( and I don't know what that is but somewhere between 100 and 140 degrees ) the battery for the most part disconnects, and you are driving without it....

*Driving on gas only ( I've done it once or twice ) makes a DRAMATIC difference. No power, and snail like acceleration under 25 MPH.

Driving with the battery disabled was worse than driving with a 3000 pound trailer behind me.
alright thanks for the info. i changed the oil this last weekend and there was copper in the oil so now the vehicle is parked untill we can get to it this weekend and see what is happening in there.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

OK, I'll bite. How did you run with gas only?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by stevedebi
OK, I'll bite. How did you run with gas only?
Me? I got my HV battery pack to lower than 33% SOC with the key in run by keeping the headlamps on with the car in Neutral so the engine couldn't start.
At this point, the car will only charge, it won't use battery assist.*

*could be minor exceptions

Quick Reply: possible engine problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands