PIE Interface for Escape ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: PIE Interface for Escape ?

Hi Everyone,

I just installed the PIE interface for my iPod in my FEH w/ NAV radio and it works great! More about that later. The part number is FRDW/PC-POD2 and I ordered it from CarStereoExpo.com for $124.99 + S/H for a total of $136.24.

Using this unit disconnects the CD Changer. This is not a problem for me as I didn't use it anyway since it didn't like burned CD's.

Here are some tips if you are going to install this unit:

It hooks up under the passenger's seat. The connector was a little hard to find a first. I thought it was the big yellow connector under front left side of the passenger seat. (Not sure what the big yellow connector goes to.) Looking from the back seat, the connector is on the right side of the changer near the back. There is a tab at the top of it you have to press when you pull on it for it to release. There is also a connector holding the wiring harness to the seat bracket you might want to undo. Then just plug the short cable in from the PIE kit into the connector and the other end into the PIE box. I used Velcro to stick the PIE box to the back of the CD changer since I didn't want to take the changer out. That was pretty much it.

Then just hook up the iPod to the connector. (It uses the iPod's dock connector on the bottom.) Then hit the CD button on the NAV radio and it will say Track 1 Disc 1. You can use the arrows < > to change songs. I'm not sure about the 1 - 6 buttons. When you press them the display would say No Disc, well 2 - 6 said that. I read somewhere that you could put your songs into 6 play lists and then use the 1 - 6 buttons. The documentation that came with the unit wasn't very good. So I am looking into that.

When you get past Track 99 then the Tracks start over at 1. The iPod does go to the next song (100 and so on) and not the first one again. You still have full control of the iPod, you can also change songs, playlists etc. directly from the iPod.

The iPod pauses if you manually turn off the radio, I didn't check the Mute/Phone button. The iPod shuts off when the car is turned off and you open a door.

This is just my experience. If you have any questions fell free to ask. I'll post some pictures of the installed unit and the display on the NAV radio.

James

Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: PIE Interface for Escape ?

Thanks grecni. I got the PIE X3 and T-harness today and installed it in about 15 minutes as well. At first I wasn't getting any audio out of the right channel. I contacted Logjam and they said it was the X-3 and sent out a new one. This afternoon the right channel started working. All connections were good from the start so maybe after driving the car a little it shaked something in the X-3 to get it working. As you mentioned, it could use an amplifier since the volume on the Ipod and stereo need to be up louder than for regular radio.

I also bought a DLO charger and a Bracketron multi-purpose bracket to hold the Ipod. I ran all the wiring under the console and made a little hole above the Power outlets for the RCA cable. I mounted the bracket to the the instrument panel just below the left center vent (Where the empty spot is on the FWDs). Looks nice and works pretty well. I'm going to look into the amplifier to boost the audio volume.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwpyle3
I thought it was the big yellow connector under front left side of the passenger seat. (Not sure what the big yellow connector goes to.)
Avoid this connector. Has to do with airbag control system.

I've been using the PIE interface with XM for a few months now. No complaints. I've been quite pleased.

Yay photos!

The rest of the photos are here should you want to see.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

do you know if the FRDW/PC-POD2 will work in the 2006 model?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it depends on the Audio system you have. As far as I can tell only the PIE X3 works with the NAV system.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The FRDW/PC-POD also works with the FEH ('06 anyway) w/Nav radio. I have an iPod Nano and have used it, although I'm presently without the PC-POD as the original unit I received had a glitch (no sound from the left/driver's side channel, except with constant pressure applied to the cord at the box.) I'm awaiting my replacement exchange unit which I anticipate will resolve the issue, as I could get sound from the left channel, but only reliably by holding the PC-Pod box and applying pressure to the connector plug.

FRDW/PC-POD Input Adapter frdw-pc-pod $119.99
for iPod with Control and
Charging for Ford

bought mine at MyRadioStore.com

** ADDENDUM: The PC-POD and cable I received after sending back the glitchy one did the charm. I have very good sound quality and no further issues.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-05-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Followup since I got replacement/exchange
Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

GeekGal,
Did this interface plug into your CD changer or did it plug directly into the back of the NAV head unit?

Also, can you control the Ipod thru the NAV unit?

I heard someone else used a similar device but it disabled the Fuel and Battery functions of the NAV unit.

I like this idea vs the PIE X3 since I have to have a separate charger for the ipod.

Thanks.

Last edited by hdbillp; 05-16-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hdbillp
GeekGal,
Did this interface plug into your CD changer or did it plug directly into the back of the NAV head unit?

Also, can you control the Ipod thru the NAV unit?

I heard someone else used a similar device but it disabled the Fuel and Battery functions of the NAV unit.

I like this idea vs the PIE X3 since I have to have a separate charger for the ipod.

Thanks.
1. The FRDW/PC-POD plugs in to the cable that ordinarily plugs in to the 6 disc CD changer under the passenger seat (again, I have the Nav radio unit.) Important: Plugging in the PC-Pod thus bypasses the CD changer, meaning to listen to CDs in that changer you will have to disconnect the PC-POD and reconnect the CD changer to the vehicle. There is no "switching" capability to toggle between iPod and CD changer, as there is with the X3.

2. Yes, you can control the iPod via the NAV radio unit. In fact, the iPod itself won't take any inputs or display song/track data when it's plugged into the FRDW/PC-POD (I believe the FRDW/PC-POD2 resolves this limitation by allowing control via the Nav radio and iPod at any time.) Pause, Shuffle, >> and << and even playlists all work (playlists are a little wonky, but do work. Instructions here (ignore the typos, including incorrect reference to a VW's interface cable!)

3. All functions of the Nav radio are intact -- fuel economy, energy management display, etc. No affect to anything except the CD changer, as referenced in #1.

4. It charges the iPod and the sound is good, although it'd be nice if the PC-Pod had a built in amplifier as you'll find you need to bump the volume up a little to listen to songs on your iPod at the same volume you listen to radio/CDs. The PC-Pod comes with a long white cable so you can run it to wherever you want your iPod. Some people drill a small hole in the center console so the iPod can stay there, out of sight, when plugged in (doesn't need to be accessible for use since all control is via the Nav radio). I haven't figured out an elegant way to stow mine yet, since I'm not keen on taking a Dremel tool or Xacto blade to my new FEH yet.

Last edited by GeekGal; 05-16-2006 at 08:29 AM. Reason: elaboration
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, GeekGal. This is exactly what I'm looking for. With an Ipod there is no need for the CD Changer IMO. I will probably remove it.

The PIE X3 works well but is a little querky. You have to have a CD in the changer at all times and control is only thru the Ipod. It also requires you to bump up the volume higher than the CD or radio.

I just got the PIE X3 so I am going to return it and order this unit.

As far as a place for the Ipod, I bought a Bracketron multi-purpose bracket from BestBuy and mounted it on the dash right below the left center air vent. There is a little blank cover (silver) that would have the 4WD emblem if you have all wheel drive. I used the double-back tape and applied the bracket and it works great with the nano. I then popped out the center console unit that contains the power converter and 110 outlet. Underneath I drilled a small hole large enough to allow the cable to pass through. I ran the cable out and put the console unit back in place.

It can be configured many different ways for many different devices yet doesn't look bad. You might give that a try. I guess with the FRDW/PC-POD you wouldn't need access to the Ipod so you may want to install in the console. I installed the bracket since I had to control Ipod functions from the Ipod. I may look into the FRDW/PC-POD2 so I can control via CD changer or Ipod.

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by hdbillp; 05-16-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

FRDW/PC-POD2 does allow you to control the iPod from the radio or the iPod. It doesn't show track/song information from the iPod.

ProClipUSA.com has custom mounting options for the FEH and iPod, cell phone, pda, etc... No drilling required, they snap into existing spots in the car.

I'm really happy with the FRDW/PC-POD2.

James

Quick Reply: PIE Interface for Escape ?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands