Photos of 1000 lb interior load in the Escape

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Photos of 1000 lb interior load in the Escape

I transported 25 bags, each weighting 40lbs, from the local alternative heating store to my home today. I made three trips, each time my Escape was loaded with 1000lbs. The file attachment photos reveal the amount of rear suspension compression with this load. It did not feel as if handling or comfort was significantly hindered as if the vehicle was overloaded. With this load I was still able to accelerate from a dead stop in electric mode but naturally for much shorter distances. I even traveled up a 9% and half mile long hill without the RPMs exceeding 2600. Then again the street had a speed limit of 25mph.

Attached Files
Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Photos of 1000 lb interior load in the Escape

Thanks for sharing Bill.

As I have said before, the big difference in towing or cargo capacity between the v6 and the hybrid is int he drivetrain, not the suspension or structual integrity of the truck. As a matter of fact, the hybrid might have the same, or abit beefier spring because of the battery weight.

No offense to the Toyota guys, but I would love to see someone pile those same pellets into a Prius since they are always talking about a very small difference in interior dimensions!!!

Someone take me up on this challenge!!! lol (all in fun).

08FEH

Old 07-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Billy.... I'm so glad to see someone using a "utility" vehicle for real utility.
I know you are not the only one, but most owners like to "baby" their shiny new hybrid.

I took my 2005 off road in mud and melting spring snow the 2nd week I owned it. I had mud up to the mirrors, 360' around the car.
My parents thought I was nuts, but this was my first UTE and I had to see what she could do. I was impressed.

BTW, I make fuel ethanol from corn, and at work, we probably spill 2000 pounds of corn on the ground in a day. I've often thought a corn stove, or a pellet stove run on dried corn would be a good alternative. When the corn spills on the ground and mixes with dirt, it gets sent to the landfill via trash dumpster most of the time. Would the stove / furnace tolerate sand/gravel/dirt in the mix? If so, how much?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

build a sifter to get rid of the dirt.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
I made three trips, each time my Escape was loaded with 1000lbs.
Oh man you must be sore! Even if the store loaded it for you I'm sure you had to unload 3000 lbs at your place. How long does that last you?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
BTW, I make fuel ethanol from corn, and at work, we probably spill 2000 pounds of corn on the ground in a day.
No wonder it's so freakin' expensive! Be more careful, will ya?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brady
Oh man you must be sore! Even if the store loaded it for you I'm sure you had to unload 3000 lbs at your place. How long does that last you?

I actually loaded over 1/2 of this at the store and unloaded all of it at home. It normally takes about 35-40 minutes to unload the pellets and "neatly" stack them in my home (modernized old coal room in the basement of my old 1927 house). No, I normally do not get sore from this workout unless I do something wrong. I have a life-long exercise routine.

As for how long do 75 bags of pellets last? That is like asking about mpg. There are a variety of factors including how well your home is insulated, how warm do you keep the house, what is the outdoor temperature, etc. I normally burn anywhere from 70-95 bags of pellets a season (October thru mid-April). Last year I used 86 bags. Get this, I paid the local natural gas company $200 in November and they still owe me some gas!

I have a freestanding wood pellet burner. It can burn a small percent of dried corn mixed with the wood pellets. Burning corn creates more fine dust inside the stove that needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. Corn produces a greater amount of heat (has a greater BTU content ) for the same amount of wood pellets. But, one should buy a corn pellet burner (it has an auger in the firepot where as a wood pellet stove does not) if they intend to use corn as the main source of fuel. With corn being utilized as a source for automobile ethanol, I wonder if a supply and demand issue(s) will effect the alternative heating businesses.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Bill,

Time to plant some in the back yard then!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Isn't there a weight limit for what can be put in the rear cargo area (i.e. over the battery)? I don't remember what it is off the top of my head though. I was contemplating using my '05 to pick up some granite steps I had made but was worried about the weight on the HV battery.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 AM
HypoFueler

Dang - now if I get one I know my Mother in Law will fit....

Quick Reply: Photos of 1000 lb interior load in the Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands